Accessing folders/files of Password protected User account in Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashidharga

Hi everybody, recently my desktop running on Win xp started to boot very very slowly (unimaginable ... it's not posssible to work !!!! horrible!!!) so I tried to boot into SafeMode. But in safemode after loading some files it displays Safemode in four corners and stops. I've a password protected account and "My Documents" folder is not accesssible to other users. When I try to get the files from "My documents" folder by connecting the SATA HDD to another PC, the folder shows empty and when I try to copy it, it doesn't allow. Pls tell me how to get back the files and folders. After backigup the files I'll format the drive and clean install Win xp. Thanx in advance...
shashi

Try this on your other pc with the laptops hard drive connected:

Use an Administrators account:

(1)
open my computer and from top menu select tools >Folder options > View :

Then scroll to the bottom of the list in window and UNTICK "Use simple file sharing (recommended)"

click apply at the bottom and apply to all folders at the top and click ok:

In my computer note the drive letter of your problem hdd then run: "chkdsk D: /r"
where "D" is the drive letter of your problem hdd.

Let the process finish (might take a long time).

When diskcheck has finished open the drives and go to the folders that you want to access (dont try to open them yet)!

(2)
Right click on the folder and select properties then select security tab at the top,
Click the owner tab at the top
then in the change owner to section click to highlight the "Administrators (........)administrators"
(.....just means some chars)
tick "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and apply. then ok to exit that window.
In the properties window that is still open, Highlight the "Administrators" and Tick the "Full Control" tickbox under "allow" Apply and OK to close the window.

You should now now have full control any data in that folder. Repeat step (2) for all the folders you want to get information from. You can also perform step (2) on individual files if you still cant access them.

If this does not work I'm sure someone else will suggest recovery method for you
let us know your progress please.

If you are using windows xp home the instruction above will not work, as it applies to xp professional.

OK, I've not yet tried, any other way to get back folders and files of password protected user accounts in win xp by connecting the SATA HDD to another Desktop or Laptop as a Slave ???
shashi

Thanx kimsland, I know the password of the User account (because I am the User !!). My problem is that, my system (Desktop) is not at all booting in normal mode and also in safe mode, unable to access the HDD. Hence I removed the SATA HDD and tried to connect to another Desktop as Slave and tried to get back those folders and files. But when I move the mouse pointer on the Folder, it displays "The Folder is empty" and when tried to copy the same it will not allow. Now I want to get the files and folders I've created in the "My documents" folder of my password protected account. Any solutions.
shashi

Hi LookinAround, I've a password protected User account and set permission such that no other users of the same Desktop can open that folder (My Document folder). I've not at all given any password to that folder and I think the folder is not encrypted. Any suggestions ??
shashi

Yes... that second sentence in my last post is a link to directions from Microsoft on how to take ownership of those files and folders. You must be using an account with Administrator privileges as it indicates.

/********* EDIT ************/
Also since you use XP Pro, you must make sure to first turn off simple file sharing. In Explorer, click Tools->Folder Options->View tab. Scroll to last option and it should be unchecked.

Thanx pcaceit , I've got back all my folders and files. thanx a lot... thanx for all the members who've given valuable solutions.
shashi

Your Original Laptop Problem

While you have your laptop Hdd connected to your pc,

try this to bring it back up to speed:

If you use folder options > view > and show hidden files and folders and Unhide operating system files on the drive

On the root of the drive: delete "Pagefile.sys", Delete the Folder "System Volume Information" (if access is denied dont worry just leave it)

In the windows Directory: Delete all the files in "Temp" and all the files in "prefetch" folder

In Documents and settings\<your user name>\local settings\

Delete all the files and folders in "temp" and "Temporary Internet files"

Then Empty recycle Bin.

De fragment the drive:

Run chkdisk /f on the drive.

And when you replace it in your Laptop You will have probably curred your Lockup and slow Loading.

update will appreciated again

Thanx once again pcaceit, After getting my files back from the HDD as per your procedure, I've formatted the HDD and reinstalled Win XP.
shashi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back