Acer Aspire M5800/M3800 crashes when playing games

By myloo
Sep 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. My stationary Acer crashes when I play games for like 3 mins(ex. The Sims 3, Civilization V etc.) It kind of goes to digital saving mode, and its still on, but screen is black. And if I had music it would lagg.

This started a half year ago, when I updated the graphics card (NVIDIA). I did the auto-detect graphic card on NVIDIAs site and downloaded the recommended one. But then started the troubles.

Iv'e tried these thing:

- Restored computer to factory settings
    - Clean the fan inside computer (due to overheat, but don't know if that's the problem)

Here are the computer specs:

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1 build 7601)
    System manufacturer: Acer
    system model: Aspire M5800/M3800
    BIOS: Default system BIOS
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU q8300 2.50GHz (4CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 320

Does anyone know what the problem might be ? I'm not so good w computers..

Thanks!
  2. terry5880

terry5880 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 527

On your laptop go to google and type can I run it then click on link in there type in what game crashes the most or look for it in the drop down menu then it will run a test for 1 min then it will let you know if it all passes or if it fails on gpu etc
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

4. Myrddin

Myrddin Newcomer, in training

With my m5800, I had to do 2 things to keep it happy & running well.
    1. Upgrade to a larger Power Supply that has some elbow room, it'll run cooler and more efficiently than one running at the top of it's capacity. Efficiency Certification is a good thing with them, optionally, voltage regulation is great too.
    2. Upgrade to a better Nvidia card with a minimum of 1gb ram, offloading process from the cpu will help the whole system and extend the life of your computer.

On those 2 points, I put in a psu around 700 watts (note; continuous limit ratings may be better than simple top output ratings on choosing a psu). I'm on my 2nd nVidia card and now running a GeForce GTX 550 Ti based card, works great.) Could have gone for more but, still have a budget to work within.

I hope this helps anyone else out there wanting to keep from having to replace their system, especially since the M5800 is still not a bad computer for Windows 7 .. personaly not a win8 fan but that's just me.
  5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

Myrddin, good advice:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.