TechSpot

Acer's 28-inch 4K monitor with G-Sync is just $800

By Scorpus
Sep 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Acer's latest monitor might be perfect for the gamers out there rocking one of Nvidia's latest high-end GPUs. The XB280HK is a 28-inch TN display sporting a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (4K Ultra HD), and is fully compatible with...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

"just $800" hahaha, good one!

3. Thought that was funny myself
    Just $800
    That's just a paycheck
    : (

4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

The problem is, in order to be able to use it, one needs at least 30fps provided by the video card, because otherwise it still won't be playable, even with G-sync. And for a perfect experience one needs 60fps from the video card, so with G-sync it becomes perfectly smooth at 144Hz.

And modern video cards are still quite behind from making this possible. Even looking at benchmarks for GTX 980, I'm not sure it will give good experience with 4K as a single card (without SLI). Still, I'd like to see some test results...

I'm still waiting for LG 34UC97 to grab it the moment it appears in shops (next week, according to rumours). I think it will be a far better experience both for games and watching movies.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    amstech likes this.
  5. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,455   +606

Very interested to see SLi 970's run 4K myself.
    Edit: In fact I just found these...
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/6.html
    (these are driver 337.88 .though)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Burty117 and VitalyT like this.
  6. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Addict Posts: 226   +85

I guess they mean these monitors are starting to get "a little more affordable" so to speak, but yeah I also chuckled.

Anyway TN panels just look way too bad for anything imho, although G-Syng sound really interesting.

7. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,216   +1,240

We will be delivering a 970 SLI review with 4K testing in a week or two. Testing has begun ;)

8. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Fantastic. Thanks Steve.

9. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 848   +336

This monitor is about the same price as the whole iPhone, so guess what I'm going to buy with this money...a PC ofcourse. For $800 it would be a good one.

Fernando GC likes this.
  10. VitalyT

According to those tests, pair of GTX 970 is a killer, and absolutely the best choice in every way. Pretty much every game shows reasonable performance even in 4K. The only exception is Crysis 3, of course which has always been able to suck life out of any hardware.

11. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

This is great news. If 4K Gsync monitors can be $800, then sub 4K ones will get cheaper that much faster.

12. Give me 4k at 144hz, I'll buy that.

Geforcepat likes this.
  13. Waiting for a point in time where a good 4k screen with a good non TN panel will go for under $600
    and there will be a GPU that could run 60FPS 4K for under $600 as well

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,693   +1,880

This is a TN panel huh? I have some great advertising catchphrases. "This breakthrough 4K monitor sucks four times as much as your average 1080p TN panel". "Four time the pixels, 1/4 the off angle viewing pleasure".
    "For the morbidly stupid, pick yourself up a pair".

You know people, now that IPS has come way down in price, I simply can't imagine even buying another TN panel, let alone paying $800.00 for one.

mosu likes this.
  15. Will be perfect for European 720x576 TV resolution.

16. VitalyT

Must be some dark and remote corner of Europe that you live in. Progressive parts of Europe started broadcasting in 720P - 1080P years ago.

17. So just $800 ! , it doesn't supports even 3D !

18. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,902   +528

800$ is still too much. and it's still an TN panel. We need some better and cheaper IPS panels at 120hz

19. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 508   +45

To be fair $800 isnt that bad, I paid similar when I got my 120Hz screen and thats only 24".

I also want 200Hz (input) 4K IPS screens aswell :D

20. chip igmo

chip igmo TS Member Posts: 51

As a budget computer user, with little interest in gaming, I welcome news that deals with more affordable 'normal' size monitors (23 inches and less). I hope the introduction of more 4k monitors will drive the prices of smaller monitors down.

does NVidia's g-sync technology cost so much that monitors having that technology costs so much more?

21. Geforcepat

Geforcepat TS Booster Posts: 141   +15

ill be right behind you in line:)