Adobe shows off Flash to HTML5 conversion tool

Emil

Staff

Not only has Adobe released its own HTML5 video player, added HTML5 export tools to Adobe Illustrator and Dreamweaver CS5, but the company has now showed of a tool (codenamed Wallaby) that converts Flash animations to HTML5. The company only showed off a demo, so it's not scheduled for release any time soon, but Wallaby is still impressive. Nevertheless, it's worth noting that, despite the HTML5 claims, the page generated appears to be using the XHTML 1.0 doctype (and not "").

The tool doesn't generate the best markup, but the ability to export your animations out of Flash to HTML, even if the final code needs some clean up, will certainly be appreciated by many developers. Flash isn't going away anytime soon but many will want to move their Flash content to HTML5 so it can run on devices that don't support Adobe's plug-in.

Wallaby means that Flash developers can easily reuse graphics, masks, and animations from their Flash projects in an HTML file. This previously took hours to do by hand. The tool will also tell you which elements can't be converted, like animated masks, filters, and ActionScript.

Permalink to story.

My gripe with HTML5 is it will be easy for people to steal your stuff. With flash, it was compiled, but with HTML5, is plain-text javascript.

Sad that adobe is admitting defeat...

Blame steve jobs. I have always liked flash from the designer standpoint, just like you pointed out, that your content does not get stolen so easily.

So much for holding onto ones own creations.

If your stuff is good enough to get stolen consider it a compliment.

Adobe kicks *** , once again. I love flash, but HTML5 seems to be whats coming weater we like it or not ...

...adobe just produced yet a new killer application.. (or a new version of a already existing great product)

Would have prefered if Adobe told Apple to f*ck off .....Apple only have aprox 5% of the computer market after all.. .but we are not living in a perfect world..

This is a great idea and will help web developers start to put HTML 5 in their websites instead of flash. HTML 5 has so much to offer and this will just speed up the process of it becoming more standard. Good work Adobe!

I see this more as Adobe allowing for multiple points of access to content created by their other programs. If flash is blocked, than people may not use Dreamweaver or Illustrator. This shows the public that they are willing to accept international standards over personal gain. But at the same time, this will still allow Flash developers to continue on the merry way.

Plus, isn't there in the rumors an Adobe Microsoft amalgamation? Or was that canned?

Flash needs to die. Either that or Adobe has to allow other parties to publish Flash plugins/players for browsers etc.

Darth Shiv said:
Flash needs to die. Either that or Adobe has to allow other parties to publish Flash plugins/players for browsers etc.

O.o why? It's their plug in, consumers have chosen to use it because it is good. HTML5 is the "open" standard that will be in direct competition with Flash. And, maybe I am just misunderstanding what you are saying, but cannot anyone publish a flash movie to the internet? For any browser (except Apple's, but that is because Apple have blocked Flash, not the other way around).

"If your stuff is good enough to get stolen consider it a compliment."

Yeah that makes sence. When I invent something and it gets stolen and I loose all my money, ill just consider it a compliment.

It looks like adobe's covering all its bases. It knows that HTML5 is going to go mainstream in a while, so besides flash, its preparing for the change. This is what Microsoft should be doing more vigilantly. This is called moving with the tide, and with technology, this tide is quite fast.

Hey maybe they can show off a 64 bit flash player...Adobe is feeling the pressure because they should they are as everyone here seems to think fading into the back ground. Silverlight baby.

flash is obsolete now period. even adobe ****in knows it.

Na, Adobe is smarter than that.

I see this more as Adobe allowing for multiple points of access to content created by their other programs. If flash is blocked, than people may not use Dreamweaver or Illustrator. This shows the public that they are willing to accept international standards over personal gain. But at the same time, this will still allow Flash developers to continue on the merry way.

Plus, isn't there in the rumors an Adobe Microsoft amalgamation? Or was that canned?
It looks like adobe's covering all its bases. It knows that HTML5 is going to go mainstream in a while, so besides flash, its preparing for the change. This is what Microsoft should be doing more vigilantly. This is called moving with the tide, and with technology, this tide is quite fast.

I'm with you guys, this is really smart move for Adobe. They know that HTML5 will cut into their profits, and the fact that, EVENTUALLY, flash might be phased out; so they develop software that converts their formats to be compatible with HTML5... brilliant. With this developers don't have to use any HTML5 or java related tool kits, or learn anything new really, they just keep doing what they're doing with Adobe products and let the conversion software do the rest. Meanwhile, Adobe is still making bank.

The other cool thing about this, is that the Linux community might now have a web media experience that is just as fast if not faster than Windows/OSX! (Flash is dreadfully slow for Linux, you especially notice it on older rigs!)

Very interesting. Although I'd still be pretty certain to think adobe will continue flash and this conversion is just to get more of us html5 people using and buying the program again.

Although Flash is not going anywhere anytime soon, Adobe is smart to get a head start; It makes great since that they keep Flash Professtional up-to-date as the tool of choice for creating interactive low bandwidth content with a mature programing language and development environments.

HTML5 does not cover all the bases, so Flash (and its competition) will continue to have a place till the browser supports things internally. Compiling, exporting, and publishing to the latest formats and markup (presently HTML5) is a good idea in leveraging the dev enviornments they have worked hard to bring to the table. IMHO, ActionScript 3 is a strong and mature programming language. If they write a tool to cross convert AS3 to (optionally obfuscated and minimized) ECMA/Javascript that browsers are using, it will be a rich option and opportunity for Flash Developers to leverage their skills. Adobe will also do well to keep their eyes on security in HTML5 in the process. It is important that the continue to focus on security given the W3C's warning of use of HTML5. HTML5 is not proscribed to be used in production in spite of everyone just doing the opposite. With these in mind, Adobe will be pretty much in the front of the line when the Flash plugin's time hits the fan! =P

vangrat said:

I wholeheartedly agree with you, I think it's a great idea for adobe to do this. It's a move to cover their bases, if HTML5 completely takes over then they're ready to be a major part with that with dreamweaver etc. If they didn't do this then it's possible they could go out of business.

HTML5 still has a very long way to before it becomes good enough to replace what flash can do. But Adobe saw a new and fresh market and they want a piece of it. Not much else going on.

Apple talk bad about flash making it sound like it's a virus that make their computers go slow. well virus it is! im sure many knows that it's only a matter of time before it finds another way back to Jobs face. and it's not a moment too soon. even apple now turn the other cheek and let the customer manually install flash. they can say all they want about how flash affect the apple computer performances but in the end the joke's on themselves. HTML5 is no where near its debut period and flash is just way too popular to be ignored on the side. Jobs is the blind man who's sitting on an elephant. self denial is a taboo in tech business, he was wrong then, and he's still wrong now.

Adobe's been in hot water lately, they've been having serious security vulnerabilities in a lot of their products particularly Acrobat Reader. Watch out.

Back