ADSL uTorrent download help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLambie

Unsure if suppose to post this here o where, but...

I have ADSL at 6mps and only can download utorrents at 15-25kb what am i doing wrong? I tried to follow the setup guide but I find it not easy to follow.

From sppedtest.net (I just ran this
Ping: 57 ms
Download: 5.36M/bs
Upload: 0.75Mbs

Oh I have wireless Giga SE567

Please not sarcasmn just would be greatly appreciated.
David

Make sure your firewall and utorrent settings are optimized. Torrent requires a listening port open in the firewall, and your torrent software may require that port in a certain range. I use bitcomet so can't say how to adjust utorrent, but look for some FAQs or Wiki on their site. There are some good generic guidelines, which also explain why your d/l speeds don't live up to the specs, on the bitcomet forums.

The most often mistake for new torrent users is not having port forwarding set up properly. This site is very good about explaining it and telling you how to do it for various routers: http://portforward.com/

Next is you could just be connected to a torrent without many peers, if you aren't connected to very many and their upstream is slow, your downstream will be slow.

When you get it working properly you are going to want to cap at least your upstream to about 75% of what your real world upload speeds are, if you don't you will end up with a cramped downstream.

...When you get it working properly you are going to want to cap at least your upstream to about 75% of what your real world upload speeds are, if you don't you will end up with a cramped downstream.

Where do I do this?

Thanks you ahead of time
David

cool thanks I have the full version of PFConfig and in uTorrent I did not have a UDP set

one quick quetion my internet is 6mps so what should utorrent be download stuff at on average

6mps would be about 750kBs, 80% of that (to allow for overhead) and you could expect about 600kBs.

Where do I do this?

one quick quetion my internet is 6mps so what should utorrent be download stuff at on average

Go to Options > Preferences > Bandwidth and and look for the "Maximum upload rate" box. From your first post it looks like your upload speed isfaster than mine, I would try limiting your upstream to 45-50kB/sec. My speed is 6Mbps down and 512kbps up, and I limit my upstream to 43kB/sec. My downstream I cap at 700kB/sec which might be a bit high for the cap so I'd suggest limiting it to somewhere around 650 at first, and if you are able to hold those speeds on a well seeded torrent then I'd bump it up to 675 or 700 and just keep watching how your other internet performance is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back