TechSpot

Advice For New CPU

By Dilmog
Dec 4, 2007
  1. Hey, I am going to upgrade my Amd Athalon 64 3500+ socket 939 CPU as soon as I figure out which CPU I want to get. I am going to pair this with an upgrade to one of the 8800 GTS Rev 2 cards coming out soon. Due to the fact that my processor is socket 939, there are only a few available processors, and the only one which is really worth the money is the 4200+. However, I have heard of people using opterons for gaming processors, and I was just wondering which opteron processor would be good to pair with an 8800 GTS Rev 2 (Socket 939 of course) That is, of course, if this idea would even be practical at all.

2. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 875

3. Dilmog

Dilmog TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 148

W/stock heatsink? And if not, what would you recommend?
    Oh yeah, the link that you gave is for an AM2 processor, and I'm looking for a 939. Would you still recommend the 3800+?

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +25

This CPU is your best choice. I'd rather prefer you'd get an FX-55 if you want a new CPU for better gaming performance but if you want a dualcore CPU, that one is the best choice IMO. ALso, I have friends running Opteron 165s on the same mobo as yours so the one I recommended will work as well.

5. Dilmog

Dilmog TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 148

Would a FX-55 out-perform any similarly priced 939 processor (such as the opteron 165) in games?

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +25

Yes, it would. But it wouldn't be very good as far as multi-tasking goes.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.