Advice for some upgrade options

abe10tiger

Hey guys, I need some advice on some upgrade paths for my computer. I am planning on upgrading some parts of my computer like my GPU first and hopefully, my CPU next. Although, I am terrified that if I put in just any GPU, it may not work. I have visited this site http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/ECS/ECS_G41T-R3_(V1.0A)/2814 and has offered me some compatible parts for my PC. But Im not sure if my PSU will be enough to put in a new GPU.

Here are my computer specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS
MOTHERBOARD: ECS G41T-R3
PROCESSOR: Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
RAM: 4GB RAM

For my power supply, here are some information: SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY - Model: ATX-600W 20+4 PIN.

Any help would be great! Thanks guys! :)

Without buying a new motherboard you can get near top of the line CPU for cheap. Ebay has Core 2 Quad Q9400 for less than $20.

As for the graphics, I don't see any major reasons why a 950/1050 wouldn't run on your machine. Technically though the 400 series is all I have experience with on a LGA775 platform. I've heard there has been issues running new GPU's on PCIe 2.0 motherboards, but I don't know how common that issue is.

Without buying a new motherboard you can get near top of the line CPU for cheap. Ebay has Core 2 Quad Q9400 for less than $20.

As for the graphics, I don't see any major reasons why a 950/1050 wouldn't run on your machine. Technically though the 400 series is all I have experience with on a LGA775 platform. I've heard there has been issues running new GPU's on PCIe 2.0 motherboards, but I don't know how common that issue is.

So a Core 2 Quad Q9400 will be better than my current CPU? Also, through research, it says that only the 600 series of NVIDIA is compatible with my motherboard. Although Im not entirely sure of this since I do not know that much about computer parts :(

So a Core 2 Quad Q9400 will be better than my current CPU?
That much I can say for certain. Yes the Core 2 Quad is better than a Dual-Core CPU E5800. You are looking at nearly twice the performance with 4 cores instead of 2.

The 600 series is not that bad if you want to go for that. I'm currently using a GTX 660. For your machine the 650 would be a world of difference coming from a GT 220.

That much I can say for certain. Yes the Core 2 Quad is better than a Dual-Core CPU E5800. You are looking at nearly twice the performance with 4 cores instead of 2.

The 600 series is not that bad if you want to go for that. I'm currently using a GTX 660. For your machine the 650 would be a world of difference coming from a GT 220.

Alright thank you! What if for example I get a GTX 660 for my machine, would my PSU be enough to power it and would my current CPU Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz) bottleneck it?

Bottlenecking would really depend on the application usage. But in most instances I would say yes the Dual Core (even Core 2 Quad for that matter) would bottleneck the GTX 660. The Core 2 Quad would be a better match for the GTX 660. I definitely wouldn't go higher tier than the GTX 660 on a LGA775 platform. You would really need a newer system, if you planned on taking full advantage of a GTX 670.

A 600W power supply is enough to run even the GTX 680. That's more than enough power to run two GTX 660s in SLI.

Bottlenecking would really depend on the application usage. But in most instances I would say yes the Dual Core (even Core 2 Quad for that matter) would bottleneck the GTX 660. The Core 2 Quad would be a better match for the GTX 660. I definitely wouldn't go higher tier than the GTX 660 on a LGA775 platform. You would really need a newer system, if you planned on taking full advantage of a GTX 670.

A 600W power supply is enough to run even the GTX 680. That's more than enough power to run two GTX 660s in SLI.

So my best bet is to atleast get a Core 2 Quad for my system then a GTX 650-660? Also, Im a bit worried with the problem that it might not fit in my motherboard. I would not want to buy a new graphics card and have the problem of not being able to fit it inside because its too big. :(

What exactly happens when something is Bottle necked?

Last edited:
Also, Im a bit worried with the problem that it might not fit in my motherboard. I would not want to buy a new graphics card and have the problem of not being able to fit it inside because its too big.
I had assumed you had at least a standard MicroATX case. If so you shouldn't have any problems. It is the Slimline cases that will always give you problems upgrading.

The 650/660 is a small enough card to fit in nearly all standard ATX cases. The card is no longer than your motherboard. So if you can see all of your case without any of the case covering the motherboard you are in good shape.
What exactly happens when something is Bottle necked?
Bottleneck simply means a component is keeping another component from working at it's full potential. It only happens when the bottlenecking component is working at its full potential. You will always have a bottleneck. The goal is to minimize the bottleneck as much as possible, by balancing the bottleneck between the CPU and GPU. They only really call it bottlenecking when it is always the same component causing it.

Example:
  1. When you play a game and your CPU is a 100% load. Therefor not allowing your GPU to work as hard as it could, if you had a stronger CPU.
  2. When you play a game and your GPU is a 100% load. Therefor not allowing your CPU to work as hard as it could, if you had a stronger GPU.
  3. People don't usually talk about it; but paging memory and thrashing HDDs would cause a bottleneck in both CPU and GPU performance. Best to physically have the amount of memory called for in running you applications. Although now days with SSD's this is much less noticeable.

I had assumed you had at least a standard MicroATX case. If so you shouldn't have any problems. It is the Slimline cases that will always give you problems upgrading.

The 650/660 is a small enough card to fit in nearly all standard ATX cases. The card is no longer than your motherboard. So if you can see all of your case without any of the case covering the motherboard you are in good shape.
Bottleneck simply means a component is keeping another component from working at it's full potential. It only happens when the bottlenecking component is working at its full potential. You will always have a bottleneck. The goal is to minimize the bottleneck as much as possible, by balancing the bottleneck between the CPU and GPU. They only really call it bottlenecking when it is always the same component causing it.

Example:
  1. When you play a game and your CPU is a 100% load. Therefor not allowing your GPU to work as hard as it could, if you had a stronger CPU.
  2. When you play a game and your GPU is a 100% load. Therefor not allowing your CPU to work as hard as it could, if you had a stronger GPU.
  3. People don't usually talk about it; but paging memory and thrashing HDDs would cause a bottleneck in both CPU and GPU performance. Best to physically have the amount of memory called for in running you applications. Although now days with SSD's this is much less noticeable.

Yes, I do have a standard MicroATX case :D Btw, I found and Nvidia GTX 660 ti for sale. would it work on my mobo and would it also fit? IT seems a lot bigger but a lot stronger than a non TI gpu :(

Here is the GPU I am talking about:
MSI Gtx 660ti Power edition Blue 2gb 192bit

IMG_6776.jpg
IMG_6777.jpg

My current GPU is 128 bit while this is 192,would this be any problem?

MSI just so happens to be the brand I have. I haven't had any issues with it.
th

How much clearance do you have in the case? What length card can you fit in the slot before the card starts hitting the case?

MSI just so happens to be the brand I have. I haven't had any issues with it.
th

How much clearance do you have in the case? What length card can you fit in the slot before the card starts hitting the case?

My Current gpu is around 160mm in length. I measured it with a ruler and if I put another card which is around let's say 200mm in length, it would probably hit the case.

Here are some pictures of it if it could help:
HJo6lhXgN4yPR7XKtFUzMPex_6dgAfCHC12R5FWiBFRGxb54kgHnoVXrc7uToPQHm0_yVeAs4TOCQwlSNVXiermvG504cfPxaw=w390-h220-rw
5uPqiclLsURihT-yORCn0P7fBwzNynAYp_oZenExDPATqx5EB6ACJ57NjbRfK0DgDHpuNE360-q9MO6hF9ZNTdrlh86Yc7s-cQ=w390-h220-rw
mJWl71fh8suYbSXpkw_CmdWHRRCX5z_CtaKZtyJ9dLixZvON_O6Qc7Zct64efnsCmQqTi0G5X2jtBMX2s-8qOd1h98d7F7noeA=w390-h220-rw
eqWnKcNcyee1rTcC5MTobG0rbwU9mu31eH6xvhc-wG1EbAsLAr5Qoj0WOjJ5AqEXjvdCTrOL71fTwihZmngHuRa7S4J0AxQKBA=w124-h220-rw

http://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-Inno3D/GeForce_GTX_650_Green.html
Size (length x height) - 6.3 inches (160 mm) x 4.376 inches (111 mm)

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/N660_TF_2GD5OC.html#hero-specification
Card Dimension(mm) - 235 x 125.2 x 35.8mm

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/N660Ti_PE_2GD5OC.html#hero-specification
Card Dimension(mm) - 265 x 113 x 38mm

Looks as if the 650 will be the only one that will fit.

Darn, oh well. Looks like im gettting the GTX 650 then. It will still be a huge step up from my Gt220 right?

Also, some of the graphics cards I am looking at says that it needs 6 pins. What does that mean?

Last edited:
Alright, will be getting the GTX 650 soon, atleast with that, I will be able to play some later games xD Thank you so much for your help, will update you once I get the card :)

So I accidentally bought the Palit Gtx 650 which requires a one 6-pin PCI Express Supplementary power conenctor which my PSU does not have :'( I want to cry right now :(

However, I bough a Dual Molex LP4 4 pin to 6 pin PCI-E Express Converter Adapter Power Cable. Would that solve the problem? Will I have any issues regarding my PSU?

I knew I should have bought the Green Edition of this card because it does not require any connector :( Please tell me there is hope.

That is what those are for, you should be fine.

Got the molex an the Gpu installed. Everything works fine! I am able to play Skyrim on High Settings already; everything,looks gorgeous! :D Thanks for the help, Clifford!

Next planned upgrade is my CPU, then hopefully, a new case and PSU :D My current case is kind of cramped up already due to the upgrades I've made XD

That is what those are for, you should be fine.

Clifford, just another thing I wanted to ask regarding the CPU. I can't seem to find any Core 2 Quad Q9400 from my country but I was able to find a Q8400. Would it be compatible with my Mobo and will it perform faster than a Q9400?

Here are the CPU Passmark Scores:

You will notice there is not that much difference in the Q8400 and the Q9400. They will both give you a 75% performance boost over the Dual Core. The Q9000 series is better than the Q8000 series clock for clock though.

Here are the CPU Passmark Scores:

You will notice there is not that much difference in the Q8400 and the Q9400. They will both give you a 75% performance boost over the Dual Core. The Q9000 series is better than the Q8000 series clock for clock though.

Alright thanks! Will be getting the Q8400 because it's the only one I could find in my country XD Will update again once I get it :D

Back