Ah one last question (video card)

champ989

Long story short, I have ordered all but the video card. Have to wait for my account to be credited (probably Monday/Tuesday) before I can reorder it... So its a few more days to think..

I'm trying to find the best bang for the buck video card that would last me years. I want the CPU to be the reason I can't run games anymore, not the video card. (Cause there's really no point in upgrading the i5 3570K)

The motherboard can hold two video cards, I'm only getting one now and /maybe/ one in the future (if need be) I have a 850w power supply which I think can run two of any video cards.

Which should I get? I've been eyeing up the 670 GTX and the Radeon 7970 (the 7970 is cheaper thanks to a sale on tigerdirect, wasn't much of a thought last week cause of the price but it's just about as good as the 670 and it comes with 3 free games instead of one ^_^) So do you /think/ one of those big dogs be enough to last for years/could two just be overkill and make the CPU bottleneck)... Or should I just get a lower down video card and buy one now and one in two or three years when the prices drop and I may need one. I just don't want to spend more money then I need to.

I know the whole one nice video card is better then two cheaper ones, but that's why I'm not planning on buying two cheaper ones right off the bat.

I do want at least 2GB of vram.. Don't yell at me, just doing my best to futureproof this thing :p

Thanks for reading all that jibbirish :p Any opinion's are welcome, this thread is more of a guessing game I think.

If the HD 7970 is cheaper than the GTX 670 then buy it.

One enthusiast level card is generally less hassle than two mainstream boards- the vagaries of Crossfire/SLI driver profiles and all that.
If the HD 7970 you're looking at is the reduced BoM (bill of materials) Sapphire card with the blue PCB ( model 100351SR) be aware that the build quality ain't that grand, so overclocking might be restricted if that's on the agenda. This card is also prone to coil whine. Any other 7970 shouldn't have any issues

EDIT: You mentioned Tiger Direct. They seem to have a pretty good price on the GTX 670 at $320, the HD 7970 deal must be pretty amazing- although the 3 game bundle does have appeal, especially if you were planning on buying the titles anyway.

XFX make a good board. Their RMA's/warranty claims can be a bit iffy, but hopefully you wont have recourse to find out. You won't find a GTX 670 in the U.S. for that price I don't think. The closest you'd get is an EVGA FTW at $378 (Amazon), although you do get GTX 680 performance (and uses the 680's PCB) and Borderlands 2 (once the card is registered for warranty with EVGA)

Back