TechSpot

All browsers fall at Pwn2Own but Chrome OS survives Pwnium

By Jos
Mar 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. No browser was left standing at this year's Pwn2Own hacking contest. The latest versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer, Google's Chrome, and Mozilla's Firefox all succumbed to exploits on day one, with hackers targeting a variety of zero-day vulnerabilities on each...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,869   +889

Awesome. I guess people are just new to it. Maybe as it evolves it will be cracked.
  3. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 518   +139

"No researchers picked Safari on OS X as their target"
    Lol
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,983   +731

It just goes to show no browser will ever be bullet proof.
  5. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 293   +31

I absolutely love the idea of companies paying people to hack their products; it allows those with special skills to make large sums of money legally, and protects the consumer from exploits that otherwise might have been used against them. Props to Google as well for the massive amount of money they're throwing at this.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,493   +292

Its not really 'all browers fall' if one represented (Safari) wasn't tried and Opera wasn't a choice. Maybe Opera will be involved in next years when they switch to webkit based.
  7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,623   +82

Chrome
    Opera
    Maxthon
    RockMelt
    Safari
    Firefox
    IE

I only use the first 3 but mostly Chrome and Opera. Chrome is my default. The rest just don't make it.
  8. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,869   +889

Maxthon is garbage, very limited in my opinion. Opera is kinda boring in my opinion, hopefully with the adoption of webkit, it will improve.
  9. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,454   +620

Ha, where is the Apple ad campaign saying Safari is the most secure popular browser? :D
  10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,594   +864

Well, if you're not allowed to try, how can you say it isn't? It just works! And if it doesn't, you're holding it wrong! So there.
    UNKNOWN9122 and St1ckM4n like this.
  11. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,286   +49

Actually, Maxthon is pretty tough/stable. Lack of add-ons don't disqualify it from being a great browser.

Opera is similar. Except, sometimes Opera can be a bit unstable about some things...notably Facebook. :p
    UNKNOWN9122 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.