TechSpot

Amazon leaks first 8-inch full Windows 8 tablet, priced at $379

By Jos
May 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon has all but confirmed rumors about an incoming breed of smaller Windows tablets by accidentally listing an 8.1-inch Acer Iconia over the weekend, running the full version of Microsoft’s latest operating system. The listing has since been removed, but...

Read more

2. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 893   +133

Hopefully similarly sized RT models will hit the sub-$300 range.

3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +357

But, who wants (the absolutely crippled) RT? That's why this leak is big news. Full Windows at this price point, it's much more interesting.

VitalyT and JC713 like this.
  4. dunebeetle

dunebeetle TS Rookie Posts: 16

That is one disgustingly oversized hand....

5. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Enthusiast Posts: 140   +24

Wow I hope the price is right..I say get rid of RT...its a waste...Full version Windows 8 on a touch tablet for under $400.....Now Microsoft might have a chance against iPad!!

VitalyT likes this.
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,194   +749

If that thing has a nice keyboard accessory, we might finally have a useful netbook replacement. I wonder about the Atom processor though. I know it's slow for a laptop, but probably very fast for a tablet. But running windows 8 probably requires a lot more than an ARM processor (if it's even possible).

Can you get good performance out of a processor that can run both a full OS like Win 8 and provide 8 hours of battery life? I love having my cake and eating it too, but if this is true, then Intel is the real hero here.

7. Is it just me or does the hand look a little jacked in that pic? Are their fingers like 6 inches long or something?

8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +357

I hadn't noticed it, but absolutely... Photoshop fail!

9. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 893   +133

If you can get full Windows onto tablets that can compete in battery life and price as cheap Android tablets... then by all means! However, I think the only way it will really happen is with RT.

RT is only as crippled as what a user needs from it. If you can get a Windows RT tablet for $200-$250 (which includes Office, mind you), I think that's a very enticing deal.

10. Battery life doing nothing is 8 hours, most people will get 3 to 4 hours.

11. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

That will be great for businesses. But the bad thing is that desktop applications will have to adopt more tablet-friendly interfaces. This may mean the classic PC game may adopt it :eek:. Plus, it will take at least 1-2 years for apps to optimize themselves for the smaller display and such a low resolution. I think at $400, we should at least get a 1080P display. The Nexus 10 will be my choice over this. But the fact that there is full Windows on it is tempting. I bet the tablet would be $300 with RT since there is no licensing cost.

12. Piece of junk!
    1st its Acer - so its 100% that it'll have hardware or/and software problems
    2nd its 1280 x 800 display so no win8 snap feature
    3rd my acer w500 also have 6h in idle

13. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

Yeah, get the new Atom (Silvermont), Windows 8.1 Pro, and you will have a very decent product. And at this price point nobody will look at RT anymore. That's the way to go!

14. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 926   +247

From my experience (implementing, setting up and troubleshooting dozens of laptops/desktops every month for the last 5 years) Acer is better then HP and Lenovo. Our ThinkPads fell apart (T400's and T410's) and the Compaq 610/515 laptops have all been tossed in the junk pile. (Just to mention a few)
    Our old Acer 2420's and new Acer laptops are holding up well in our tough work enviroment (Hospital). The only HP laptops worth a damn are the ProBook's.
    Our X498G and VX4610G Acer's are some of the best bargain desktop PC's rated.

15. mcasao

mcasao TS Rookie

Give it a cellular radio and I am all in!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.