Amazon readies streaming service, free for Prime members?

By Jos
Jan 31, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon is reportedly getting ready to launch a Netflix-like video streaming service that would be available as an add-on to its $79-per-year Prime service. Current subscribers would presumably get the option at no extra cost, while even for new subscribers the service would come in cheaper on a yearly basis than Netflix's $8-per-month ($96 annually) Watch Instantly offering -- not to mention that they get a few free shipping bonuses as well.

Read the whole story
  2. If they offer content that I can't already find on Netflix or Hulu, consider me signed up!!!!! I've browsed what they offer for download before, and that contained a lot of shows I'd be interested in paying to stream. Plus Amazon is my main place for online shopping, so the deals on shipping would be great. =)
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,332   +381

If you're a regular user of Amazon.com then Prime is the way to go anyway. Accelerated (and free) shipping along with a lot of other discounts. Like getting a membership at Costco, you'll earn back your annual $79 fee in nothing flat. This would be just another reason to go that route.
  4. windmill007

windmill007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 311

Heck ya I love prime.... Turned Amazon into my #1 shopping site :)
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,477   +292

One movie they offer streaming that Netflix doesn't is Snatch. I paid to watch that because I couldn't find my dvd and I really wanted to watch it a few nights ago.
  6. Ivangela

Ivangela Newcomer, in training

Snatch is the best movie ever! I would pay to download and I have it in my hand!
  7. Given Apple's demand to make a 30% cut on everything purchased by iOS users, I'm gonna guess this won't be available for iPad or AppleTV!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.