TechSpot

Amazon readies streaming service, free for Prime members?

By Jos
Jan 31, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon is reportedly getting ready to launch a Netflix-like video streaming service that would be available as an add-on to its $79-per-year Prime service. Current subscribers would presumably get the option at no extra cost, while even for new subscribers the service would come in cheaper on a yearly basis than Netflix's $8-per-month ($96 annually) Watch Instantly offering -- not to mention that they get a few free shipping bonuses as well.

Read the whole story

2. If they offer content that I can't already find on Netflix or Hulu, consider me signed up!!!!! I've browsed what they offer for download before, and that contained a lot of shows I'd be interested in paying to stream. Plus Amazon is my main place for online shopping, so the deals on shipping would be great. =)

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,535   +572

If you're a regular user of Amazon.com then Prime is the way to go anyway. Accelerated (and free) shipping along with a lot of other discounts. Like getting a membership at Costco, you'll earn back your annual $79 fee in nothing flat. This would be just another reason to go that route.

4. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 308

Heck ya I love prime.... Turned Amazon into my #1 shopping site :)

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +394

One movie they offer streaming that Netflix doesn't is Snatch. I paid to watch that because I couldn't find my dvd and I really wanted to watch it a few nights ago.

6. Ivangela

Ivangela TS Rookie

Snatch is the best movie ever! I would pay to download and I have it in my hand!

7. Given Apple's demand to make a 30% cut on everything purchased by iOS users, I'm gonna guess this won't be available for iPad or AppleTV!