TechSpot

AMD A10-5800K overclocked to 7.38 GHz using new MSI motherboard

By Shawn Knight
Oct 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. MSI sends word today that AMD's second generation A10-5800K desktop APU has recently been overclocked to record-setting levels. The chip was coaxed to 7.38GHz using an MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 and a custom liquid nitrogen cooling solution. The overclock can be verified...

Read more

2. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 377   +69

Nice. Ill just buy the liquid nitrogen tomorrow and everyday after that.

3. Khanonate

Khanonate TS Member Posts: 96   +8

What about the integrated graphics? Was it disabled or overclocked too?

4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Here they go with these weird naming structures again. 5800k, hmm sounds remotely close to umm.

5. How about the performance?

6. Ok, let's translate that performance to real world usage...

wait, bulldozer and steamroller still s****d.

7. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Don't see why liquid nitrogen cooling isn't sustainable - quite a bit of nitrogen left in the atmosphere!;)

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,868   +697

Condensation. :eek:

Regardless if the insulation is knead eraser, silicon grease/liquid electrical tape or dragon skin, condensation will sooner or later become a factor- especially in area's (DIMM slots for example) where complete insulation is nigh impossible without degrading the electrical contact.
    Of course the more pedantic might say that you could house a (solid cap) motherboard in a Dewar flask full of liquid nitrogen, but then you're faced with 1. Decreasing capacitance, and 2. Degradation of any connection running to/from the motherboard if that were indeed possible ;)

9. Zoltan Head

No, that only explains why it's impractical (which I totally agree with). I said it is sustainable, as lots of nitrogen in atmosphere. :D

10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,868   +697

Yeah. With an infinite number of motherboards- given that the life span for a sub-zero board can be a matter of minutes, and generally wouldn't last out a warranty period in a best case scenario. So it would then follow that you'd need an infinite amount of Tantalum and Gold for example- assuming a less than perfect (I.e. real world) reclamation process.
    If you're being pedantic with the definition of sustainable- and you seem to be, then yes, it is sustainable with the aforementioned infinite amount of boards. I'd leave aside the CPU issue, since pedantry would likely argue the point of sub-zero cooling without recourse to overvolting/overclocking outside of vendor VID guidelines.:cool:

11. Zoltan Head

Yes, I am being pedantic (by your definition), I.e. I mean precisely what I say and no more or less.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.