Amd althlon core speed setting help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have had my amd athlon 2400+ for a while now however it only will ever run at a 1800+ ??? if i go into bios and adjust these settings so it will run as a 2400+ it will come up saying its a 2400+ but then it will lock and have to reset it sometimes it will get into windows and then lock up. i did have 768mb of ram but with that in it wont even start up on these setting?? it sounds like its loading but the monitor light just flashes and wont come on . the computer runs fine as a 1800+ but really want to get the full speed out of it. i think in bios it runs at 100/100 as a 1800+ but its when i change to 133/133 it doesnt want to know. another weird thing is that my old computer did the same and that was a 1.4 ghz but would only run as a 1.0ghz
is it me and am i doing something wrong as am still learning, i have spent hours trying to sort it ..pls help !
my motherboard is a k7s5a if thats any help.

Welcome to TechSpot

As so many others, you have "fallen" for the speed of an AMD Athlon XP.
Their values such as "2400+" mean: comparable to an Intel processor running at 2400MHz. The actual speed of the AMD CPU is lower, in your case 1800MHz.
Technically you have an AMD1800. But as it performs equal to an Intel2400, it is marketed with its "comparable to an Intel2400" moniker.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The correct fsb for your cpu is 133mhz (266mhz effective)

So 133mhz X 11.5 multiplier = 1529.5 which is correct.

So the cpu is running at 1.5gig again this is correct.

If you would like to know more then may i suggest that you take a look at the following.

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=16381

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thanks for that it is running at 100 not 133 though , could it be my memory thats the prob cos it says it needs to be less wherew my memory is 133 sdram

you could always download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org.

You can download the floppy version or the iso version which you can put on cd.

Let it run for at least seven passes.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

make sure your memory is running at 100% of the CPU FSB and not 133Mhz+33Mhz or 133% depending on how your BIOS handles CPU/RAM speeds. Also check that the BIOS is interpreting the SPD timing settings correctly for your ram, try to set them manually and relax the timings a bit if needed.

do you know how a can fine adjust my cpu settings as there isnt much adjustment really only 100/100 , 100/133 , or 133/133. is it cos my cmos settings are old ? cheers for the advice so far guys :)

yes ,you are right.133mhz with a multiplier of 15,it will then run at 2gig.I just got rid of my 2400+ and went to a 3200+

jaiscossie, did you ever find a solution to this?

I'm having what seems to be the same problem. I just upgraded to windows XP from 2000. Now I cannot boot if I set the speed to 133/133, it gets to the windows splash screen and dies. But it boots up fine at 100/100. When I had win 2000 installed I could do either speed just fine. Any ideas on a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back