TechSpot

AMD announces dual-core Llano APUs for under $70

By Jos
Sep 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. AMD today announced its first dual-core Llano APUs, the A4-330 and A4-3400, extending the lineup beyond the five models currently available and bringing the entry-level desktop APU price down to…

Read the whole story
  2. Where is the bulldozer ???
  3. they are pimping your "bulldozer" w8 for it next year
  4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

It's becoming the Duke Nukem of hardware.

Ironically Wikipedia says they're supposed to start shipping today.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

So true! :haha:

I'm fed up of waiting now, going Sandybridge instead. At this rate I'll be 50 before its sodding released.
  6. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Posts: 168

No! Wait! Uh... hang on, lessee... we still got some Phenom X II 6 quad hexacores in here somewhere!!! AND WAIT --- howzabout, uh, NM10!!! I mean, uh...

Oh, you win...

- S
  7. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Posts: 168

And really, I know that NM10 is Atom. I was merely demonstrating the abject confusion that has been caused by the recent spate of new processor releases.

We got Sandy Bridge, Llano, Phenom, Leviathan, Gargantua, Mothra, and Plato. I mean, uh, Pluto. Oh, you know...

I just want something HIGH-POWER, CHEAP, and LOW-POWER. I mean, uh, I want something that has LOW-LATENCY, HIGH OVERHEAD, and uh...

What DO I WANT AGAIN?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(User has logged off indefinitely to ponder the wisdom of spending so much time reading TechSpot, visting NewEgg, TigerDirect, and MicroCenter daily. Promises to commit more time to learning what CiSC vs. RiSC means, the difference between Deneb and Debian, and how to properly install a PSU without losing a screw in the process...

THE ONE THAT FELL OUT OF MY HEAD.)

:)

Later.

- S
  8. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

Whatever happened to that 1100 ? I guess you must have given it an honorable burial. :rolleyes:
  9. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

@Archean
    I'm sat in a position were I'd be spending out twice, once for the 1100T, and then again for a new 8 core later on. Given that it seems pointless to continue with AM3+ when it could be a century before BD arrives.

My current backup Intel Q6600 build is sold (and I've held off as long as I can really), and as soon as its collected I'm without a system. I really do not want to pay out for a CPU now to only replace it later on.

Plus I really don't think given the delays that the BD will have anything to offer in the way of beating Intel, so I'm going to jump ship and go for a SB setup instead.

The issues I've had with the AMD setup doesn't help matters, as I'm just fed up with it all now. Over the last few months my main system has been out of use and tbh I want to use it now.

So in the coming days/weeks I'll be putting an order in for a new case (cant decide between a Level 10 GT or a Raven 3 right now), new CPU, motherboard and GPU. I might even head for 16GB of RAM as well, and grab another 1TB Spinpoint F3.

Famous last words.... :haha:
  10. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

Indeed, I think at best BD will just be able to compete with SNBs, so it is right time to jump ships anyway. Beside, couple of years down the road you can easily upgrade your SNB CPU with an IVB CPU ;).

For me, well I may never assemble another desktop again (hopefully I will be wrong though), beside I have powerful enough notebook which can do whatever I need to do for now + some more.

So this may beat your 'FLWs'. :D
  11. I don't understand the big deal about Llano. You get a slow processor which is essentially just an Athlon II X2 that can't even outperform overclocked E6400/6600 Core 2 Duos from 2006, and you higher end Llano's will get smoked by 2007/2008 quad-cores such as Q8300/Q6600/9300/9400.

So essentially AMD is pairing a low-end GPU with 320/400 shaders that can only play games at low resolutions such as 1024x768 and 1280x720 in modern games (i.e., exactly the situations where you are CPU limited), and pairing it with a slow IPC processor?

It seems Llano is more suitable for HTPC.

12. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Your logic route has landed you right where most of us are with the Llano APU. But it can be a bit more broad that just HTPC. In reality, most average PC consumers are of the "take it out of the box, plug it in, and run it" variety. They are not the hardcore gamers. They are not the avid upgraders who always need to keep their PC at peak performance. In short, they are probably not Techspot readers. For those average users, who are more interested in media-rich content and maybe some light gaming, the Llano fits extremely well. The raw number crunching power of the Sandy Bridge is overkill for them, while the integrated graphics performance lags (sometimes dramatically) behind the Llano.

So, if you need a cheap, simple, efficient, media-heavy PC with some light gaming capabilities, the Llano has the edge in quite a few categories. HTPC is a prime example of that particular demographic, but is honestly a much smaller piece of the pie than the general computing market that Llano's capabilities can easily satisfy.
  13. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

AMD APUs are currently better suited to the notebook market where crappy integrated graphics are more common in mainstream laptops and low powered discrete graphics often add considerably to the price tag.
  14. SKYSTAR

SKYSTAR TS Enthusiast Posts: 250

we need the bulldozer not this ****
  15. The slow roll out of these new chips ,both the Llano and Bulldozer,
    is the fault at this time of the Foundry ,Global Foundries.
    Nice article at www.semiaccurate.com
    delves into some of the particulars.
  16. AMD fail. and im also not a fan of Intel or never used to be untill now

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.