AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinlw

Hi,I am thinking of upgrading this Processor to an AMD Phenom™ II X3 Processor or a x4,would this be worth it for performance.or stick with the present. Regards Martin.

I have a Biostar GF8100 ME+TE this is qouted on there web site.
CPU SUPPORT AMD Phenom™ II X4 Processor
AMD Phenom™ II X3 Processor
AMD Phenom™ X4 Processor
AMD Phenom™ X3 Processor
AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor
AMD Sempron™ Processor
Maximum CPU TDP (Thermal Design
00 ME+TE

i have a 4800+ and am going to upgrade as well, should i go with the x3 or phenomII 940 X4?
I will use it for gaming, and i want as future proof as possible(although that's impossible)

Hi KG,
the 940 is the one with more horsepower, the x3 720 is the better cost performance. i use my x3 720 for gaming (crysis,warhead, fallout, stalker, etc at hi res with the detail maxed, and it performs beautifully, if you do things like video editing, rendering in a 3dsmax or the like than the 940 would be a good investment, welcome to Techspot BTW :)

hi 04ihegba.
that all depends on what it is you are trying to accomplish with it. if you just surf the net for example, then probably not, if you want to game with the latest title, then maybe yes. also would the 720 work in your current motherboard? or would you have to upgrade that as well? welcome to techspot :)

Thanks, I just wanted to get a second opninion. I game a lot, I also run demanding rendering apps, but after considering it earlier this year, I read a review on toms hardware that said that the X3 2.4 ghz was exactly the same performance wise to the X2 6000 overall (the X2 killed it at most single core, the X3 had the edge on multitasking.)

So maybe I hadn't asked the full question, do you think its worth it money wise to make that upgrade or would I be best off saving a little more. If so, what for?

04ihegba,
im not sure what you are referring to when you say the x3 2.4 Ghz. i was referring to the x3 720 2.8ghz. you may have misread the review you are referring to, the x3 720 here takes on the intel E8400 which is vastly superior to the x2 6000. check out this review (note the rendering benchmark). http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/phenom_ii_x3_720be/
as you said you do alot of rendering apps, and if you wanted to go quad core, i think the next step would be to save for the x4 940.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471
hope that helps :)

No I meant what I said, I meant that if the 2.4 is equivalent to a 3GHz X2 then is a 400mhz upgrade worth it?

the X3 720 is much better than the X3 2,4,it's newer tech and when you put it with a AM3 board you can notice the difference.

oh i see,
was it one of those benches where they clock the cpu down to make a equal comparison? well thats for you to decide, however since you do alot of rendering ( i do as well with 3dsmax) it was for me. not only for the faster frequency, but the superior architecture, instruction sets etc. i would say find a review site you trust and see how the bench results fit into the needs you have. the x4 810 might be a good choice for you given what you use your machine for.

i have a 4800+ and am going to upgrade as well, should i go with the x3 or phenomII 940 X4?
I will use it for gaming, and i want as future proof as possible(although that's impossible)

The X4 940 wont be future proof because AMD launched the new phenoms in AM3 socket and you can't use a AM2+ socket on an AM3 socket motherboard.

The X4 940 wont be future proof because AMD launched the new phenoms in AM3 socket and you can't use a AM2+ socket on an AM3 socket motherboard.

Yes i understand that. I just want the cpu to last as long as it can before i get a new mobo. i plan to have it for at least 2-3 years

So why not go for an AM3 socket then atleast your cpu should be future proof for +-3yrs,depending when AMD release a new socket,your board can support AM3 CPU's with a bios update.

i like that idea. What AM3 x3 are there. Or do i have to go X4 if i want black edition.

There's the X3 710(2,6GHZ,6MB cache) the 720(2,8GHZ,6MB cache)black edition and i read somewhere there is going to be a 740 black edition at 3,0GHZ not sure when though.In the X4 range there are the 805(2,5GHZ,4MB cache),810(2,6GHZ,4mb cache),910(2,6GHZ,6mb cache) and the 945(3,0GHZ,6MB cache) which are all normal and the 955(3,2GHZ,6MB cache) is the black edition,there's also a new Phenom2 X2 coming out which look's quite good a 550(3,1GHZ,6MB cache) black edition.Those are all AM3 cpu's,there are a few lower power models aswell,the cache is all the L3 cache.Not sure on pricing though.

I believe I have the same CPU and mobo socket, as shown in the CPU-Z shot. Will the Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz work on my AM2 socket without requiring a chg of mobo?

Attachments

• CPU-Z 2009-07-16_AM2 940_Athlon64x2.jpg
    CPU-Z 2009-07-16_AM2 940_Athlon64x2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back