TechSpot

AMD demos "Eyefinity" multi-monitor technology

By Jos
Sep 11, 2009
  1. Those of you who run dual monitor setups know the freedom it gives for multitasking. But with its upcoming DirectX 11-capable Radeon HD 5800 series, AMD is hoping to take this experience to a whole new level, via a new technology called Eyefinity that allows for multiple displays to be driven off of a single video card.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,373   +407

Hmmm....not so sure about this. Seems to me it'd just be easier to buy a decent good sized HDTV and run your game through that rather than fooling around cabling and powering 3-6 monitors together, hoping your video card can run them all at a decent frame rate. And as mentioned, there's the bezel problem.
    Don't think I'll spend any investment dollars on this little project. ;-)

3. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

I've had multi-monitor setups like this (4 monitors), using 2 Nvidia Quadro's in SLI, but it was always for business rather than gaming. For business, multi-monitor setups are ideal when multi-tasking. For gaming, I would prefer to use a single large hdtv as TomSEA stated. There are always going to be trade-offs.

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 910   +55

I think this is a great concept, yes the bezels are a problem but that just means manufactures have to come up with a bezel-less monitor/tv. I do find it interesting this article claims the frames per second are is 12-20 when the article on anandtech.com claims to be doing 80 fps.

5. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,111   +68 Staff Member

That 80fps figure is for World of Warcraft, which isn't very graphically demanding. I got the 12-20 fps data from another report (adding the link now) which quoted some 3DMark 2006 numbers.

6. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 551

only really rich people have more than 2 monitors! WTF y would u need that many! (ok for the reasons in the article.)

7. OLBY

OLBY TS Enthusiast Posts: 108

it looks nice but i dont think that it wil be good for firing games and games need a concentration in the middle,as wendig sayd, 1 big monitr is better

8. Cry-Engine 3 for PC (First Time: Ati Eyefinity)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04dMyeMKHp4

While I won't be using multiple monitors myself it speaks for a very powerful GPU:
    http://img.techpowerup.org/090911/2322.jpg

9. MaXtor

MaXtor TS Rookie Posts: 90

Monitors are made for sitting up close. Using a 24 inch monitor for PC gaming is more than enough, any bigger (more screens = bigger) you have look side to side or sit further back, you might as well have an HDTV.

10. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

wow! thats pretty nice,except for the frames part

11. moeschen

moeschen TS Rookie

I have two inexpensive ($35 ea.) video cards that still are plenty good enough to hanle two 23" monitors each, total of four. So there are four screens side to side and the setup is excellent. Assuming this card device costs hundreds of dollars (and you still have to buy the monitors) which would appear to be the better choice?

12. Badfinger

Badfinger TS Rookie Posts: 160

Looks ugly to me, if wealthy, just get 1 huge monitor?
    Only folks I know in need of multiple monitors are developers, support folks, and poker players.
    I tried two (with old monitor), and just didn't need it, and desk space is a premium.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.