AMD details Kaveri APU, will launch on January 14th

Scorpus

Staff member

At AMD's APU13 developer conference, the company unveiled new details about their upcoming Kaveri APU, the successor to this year's Richland line. AMD announced that the desktop Kaveri parts, using the FM2+ socket, will be available from January 14th, 2014 following extra information at CES 2014.

The top-end Kaveri SKU will come with four CPU cores based on the Steamroller architecture, which is AMD's latest for desktop parts, alongside a GCN 1.1-based GPU. The GPU will feature eight compute units for 512 stream processors, putting the specifications on par with a mid-to-low-range Radeon HD 7750.

amd kaveri apu radeon gpu cpu gcn apu kaveri steamroller

AMD claims the flagship APU - the A10-7850K with a 3.7 GHz CPU and 720 MHz GPU - will offer 856 GFLOPS of performance (from the CPU and GPU combined). Furthermore, a demo revealed that the Kaveri-based APU was capable of running Battlefield 4 at medium settings, achieving around 30 frames per second; faster than the Intel Core i7-4770K and Nvidia GeForce GT 630 combo it was up against.

Also, it was confirmed that both TrueAudio (AMD's dedicated DSP for in-game audio processing) and the low-level Mantle API will be supported by new Kaveri chips, which is great news for buyers in the market for a cheap gaming PC.

At this stage there aren't any details on what the Kaveri APUs will cost, but expect more details at CES 2014 at the start of next year.

Permalink to story.

I don't know for you , but I am super exited.
Is it possible somehow to figure it out how much cpu (steamroller) has been improved ?

So much power stuffed into a little package. You'd never believe this was possible 10 years ago.

Thats pretty good, at that power of a on Die GPU, thats going to blow the mid range market wide open. Kinda anxious for this chip to see if the CPU is up to par to match the built in GPU.

Equivalent to a 7750? Talk about awesome. I am kind of pissed off because this thing is getting close to surpassing my laptops GPU performance on BF4 xD!

Equivalent to a 7750? Talk about awesome.
Would have been even more awesome if AMD had kept to their target specification which would have been closer to the HD 7770. At last years AMD FADS (see Lisa Su's presentation pdf), Kaveri was supposed to a 1+ TFlop part
fad2012.jpg

That 1.05TF is now 856 GFlops
AMDAPU_Slide_2.jpg

The comparable Trinity part is 736 GFlops - Kaveri represents an increase of 16.3%

But remember that while Richland has over 856GFLOPs, it is based on the VLIW architecture which is very hard to untap all that compute performance due to the superscalar nature of that. That explains why for example, the HD 7870 is able to match and outperform the HD 6970 while having less theorical compute performance and less core processors.

I would like to see this APU X-fired with the R series Cards.. :D Monster!

Back