AMD Fusion: unlike anything we’ve seen before

Emil

Staff

Advanced Micro Devices has been having a tough couple of quarters over the last few years. The company's financial performance isn't as solid as it once was and competitors are attacking it on all fronts. What will finally turn things around? Fusion. At least, that's what AMD is hoping for.

"As AMD heads into 2011, it really is starting to feel like some historic battles between irresistible forces and unmovable objects are coming to a head," says Gary Silcott, AMD's Senior Manager of Product PR. "The long, ninety-five yard drive to get to the goal line has reached that riveting moment when it is obvious that the offense is going to punch it in and score. For thousands of people inside the company, you can sense us rising from our seats to see what AMD Fusion is going to deliver, and we all know it is going to be unlike anything we've seen before."

Those are some brave words. AMD's next-generation Fusion processors were revealed more than four years ago. The company is planning to finally release its first CPU-GPU hybrid chips in the first half of 2011. "All the calls made in the last few years to stick to a unique plan of action in order to deliver the user experience consumers and customers want to get from a company like AMD, are about to pay off," Silcott concluded. We sure hope so. The market sure needs real competition from AMD again.

Permalink to story.

the title made it sound like they released it and this is a review. I feel i was tricked lol. I hope this turns out well, but is this really news? it's just AMD saying that they're product is great.

The only real news here is that they will be released in the first half of 2011.

I really hope AMD comes through with Fusion... I'm so sick of all the mouth breathing Intel fanboy's saying AMD sucks. Don't get me wrong, Intel makes some great processors, but they're way overpriced.

Wendig0 said:
I really hope AMD comes through with Fusion... I'm so sick of all the mouth breathing Intel fanboy's saying AMD sucks. Don't get me wrong, Intel makes some great processors, but they're way overpriced.

The i7-950 is $300 now.... that's leaps ahead of any AMD tech, and is FAR from overpriced. It's basically a server cpu pretending it's a desktop cpu. By the way, the reason cpus like the i7-980X are overpriced is because AMD has nothing to compete with it. People who NEED that power will pay the premium, and no competition allows intel to set it as high as they want without fear.

But nonetheless I hope fusion delivers.

princeton said:
Wendig0 said:

The i7-950 is $300 now.... that's leaps ahead of any AMD tech, and is FAR from overpriced. It's basically a server cpu pretending it's a desktop cpu. By the way, the reason cpus like the i7-980X are overpriced is because AMD has nothing to compete with it. People who NEED that power will pay the premium, and no competition allows intel to set it as high as they want without fear.

The fact they were able to cut the price by that much suggests that it was originally ovrpriced even if it no longer is. Though generally when I think of good deals from AMD i think in the <$200 price range where a large portion of their chips lie.

Seriously ?

AMD haven't been this strong since the first and second gen athlon 64. Still questionable at the high end but as for mainstream it offers tech that intel simply cant ( or wont ) namely Sata3, USB3 and 42Pci-E lanes. All that and a enthusiast level dual for less than $180 . AMD GFX brand dominates the mainstream discreet market share figures ( As reported by steam survey ) and has since the 48xx series. The Fusion chips can only strengthen AMD's position as early reports indicate vastly superior onchip gfx compared to intel's offerings.

princeton said:
Wendig0 said:

I agree that the intel i7 prices now have become very tempting for new builders and also for anyone needing the extra power over AMD, but you can still overall build a AMD system for alittle less than intel, and if your using it for gaming "depending on the AMD chip you have and GPU .etc." you dont see much performance difference between the i7's, take the 1090t and the 980X for example, if you have a 1090T and have clocked it to 4Ghz and have a powerfull card like the 5870, GTX 480 lots of reviewers see little performance gain from the 980X over the 1090T in most games, obviously because games are not that CPU dominant, So my point is unless you need the power of what intel can offer e.g. for video editing, game development and Autocad. AMD are really the smarter choice to go for.

Never the less, I do own a i7 870 system and also a AMD Phenom II 955 system. And i havent seen noticable differences between the two with gaming.

All I can say to the above, HP use Intel, Dell use Intel, therefore the corporate sector use Intel. So long as big business uses Intel, intel will be king, just as Windows XP cannot die because corporations will not let go. This CPU/GPU combo chip, may enable AMD to finally breach that sector. Marketing buffs can have a GPU in their system to run their fancy graphics programs, IT geeks will be able to play their counterstrike source, hardware accelerated internet browsers *coughIE9gag* will be able to hardware accelerate. These things will push it into this sector. Will the average gamer give a rats tail about this? Hell no. This chip is aimed at a different market.

Just my two cents.

I really hope AMD comes through with Fusion... I'm so sick of all the mouth breathing Intel fanboy's saying AMD sucks. Don't get me wrong, Intel makes some great processors
, but they're way overpriced.
Overpriced? AMD can't even compete in the $100 category. And even then, the Wolfdale Pentium chips can beat the Athlons in multimedia encoding and other FPU-heavy applications such as chess. Really, the only reason to buy AMD is if you need a cheap gaming PC.
AMD haven't been this strong since the first and second gen athlon 64.
I disagree. AMD hasn't basically done much of anything that would make it stand out this year and they really don't have anything high-end that's planned for next year. Fusion seems to be about it. It'll be interesting what AMD can do with Bulldozer, but I certainly don't see them going back to the Athlon 64 days where they basically wiped Intel in every benchmark.

Back