AMD is not for sale, and neither is Twitter

By Emil
Oct 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Two companies from completely different areas of the tech world today squashed rumors that they are for sale. The CEO of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), the second largest CPU supplier, and the new CEO of Twitter, a microblogging social network, have made statements emphasizing that their corresponding company is not for sale.

Read the whole story
  2. Really?
    I was hoping to add them both to my portfolio.
  3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,264   +41

I told my dad about twitter in 2007 when it might have been possible. He said "looks like a flop." Now here we are.
  4. "[T]he second largest CPU supplier. . ." HAHAHAHA
  5. You mean the losing CPU supplier, right? Since there are basically only two... LOL
  6. IBM also produces CPU... did you know that ? ....
  7. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 196

Hmm... I though IBM produces the technology to produce CPUs. Have I been missinformed?
  8. LinkedKube

by that standard yes, there are way more than two suppliers. CPU's are in all types of devices.
  9. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

AMD still supplies more than a lot of other CPU-suppliers. Even though AMD supplies less than Intel in the CPU-market for Stan McNormalguy, I recall reading on AMD's website that AMD is the primary supplier for the US. army, for instance.
  10. LinkedKube

Of course they are,
  11. http://www.indexoftheweb.com/Computer/CPU_Manufacturers.htm

^I count at least 8 big suppliers on that list.
    AMD
    SIS
    Intel
    TI
    ZF
    NSC
    Centaur
    IDT

there are more that that too....

12. woah don't forget about ARM, and there's another biggie I can't recall, and IBM does make processors - they have a 5.9 ghz server processor. Not a mainstream part by any means, I heard the tab is ~$100,000 a part. I also believe they get Global Foundry to do their fab. AMD is about to get very interesting in the next few years would be my speculation.
  13. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,785   +639

Oracle (Sun) + Fujitsu's SPARC64 would probably be it. Most notable being the T3 ( 8 core, 128 thread).

Technically Motorola and Freescale should likely be on the list also.

@grvalderrama
    In a word....Power7. And this is what a module of (stock) watercooled 800watt Power7's looks like

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.