TechSpot

AMD launches Radeon R9 280 as a re-branded HD 7950 Boost

By Scorpus
Mar 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. AMD has launched yet another product in their sprawling Rx 200 series today: the Radeon R9 280. The mid-to-high end GPU is essentially a re-brand of the Radeon HD 7950 Boost that was released in mid-2012, giving prospective graphics card...

Read more

misor likes this.
  2. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TS Booster Posts: 147   +25

Why buy a R280 when you can buy an 280X for $20 extra???

3. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 234   +69

With the street price of $449 for the 280X, which is more than the MSRP for the 290, the 280 will likely fall short of the $400 mark when all is said and done. With these inflated prices AMD is completely out of the PC gaming race. No point in paying that much for the performance you get. It's too bad too. The R9 290 (I got one for $399,) was excellent for the money, just needed an aftermarket cooler. However they're now $599 which is too close to the 780Ti which is far more powerful for gaming.

4. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

So much for price/performance ratio when the actual street price is so much higher...
    I wonder if NVidia would lower its prices just to annoy AMD. (but I guess NVidia can't do it because it's too profitable for them too.)

5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +506

Because it's not $299, it's $449 so it's not actualy $20 extra, it's more like $170 extra.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

With gaming in mind why bother with any Radeon part when you can find nVidia's counterpart freely available worldwide and at a stable price? In South Africa Radeons are freely available at RRP because mining isn't a big thing and they're far better value for money.

7. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Booster Posts: 248   +12

Will it be able to Crossfire with an AMD HD7950 ?

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

I don't see a reason why not, the specs are identical.

9. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

I knew they were going to do this eventually, but like has been already said the U.S market will charge outrageous prices due to the coin miners saturating the market.

10. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TS Guru Posts: 377   +81

Crypto-currency miners, stop driving up the prices of our graphics cards!

Raoul Duke likes this.
  11. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Looks like this Pryamid scheme is about to crash so we can expect a load of these cards on eBay.

12. GhostRyder

Yea, at this point the first small amount of Miner Specific Machines have entered the market in small quantities. This is only the beginning and as soon as the machines start to get more mass produced and enter the market, GPU mining will become almost non-profitable. By the way its going its safe to say that May or June will be when people start to heavily offload the Mining GPU's for low prices.

13. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

Where I live I am actually seeing stock in local and on-line stores for the first time in a long while of R9 280X cards and above, and they are not disappearing instantly either. I think just a little longer for the price to come down and I will buy a 280X or preferably a 290

14. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

No need. With AMD selling its cards to miners, it effectively means that Nvidia picks up more sales for gaming orientated workloads where AMD cards in some markets are no longer competitive.
    In the short term, it's a win-win for both vendors. In the long term, it means AMD faces the need to combat its own cards in the resell market if cryptocurrency mining falls out of favour, and finding a way to win back the gaming market share they're losing to the GeForce brand.
    The initial shortage was likely due to both a run on cards by miners as well as AMD ceding a large proportion of its wafer starts to console APUs to fill PS4 and Xbone orders. Both factors should be less demanding now that Sony and MS have healthy inventory.

EDIT: To the article writer. The specification graph holds an error. I believe the base clock of the R9 280 is actually lower than the HD 7950B at 827 MHz (not 850). Probably a moot point since I doubt many (if any) cards should be temperature throttled since, like the 280X, all cards should be vendor custom boards.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  15. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,915   +537

The prices of AMD card are mostly normal in the world with the exception of NA. And NA has higher prices because they refuse to lower them and nobody is doing anything to stop it.

16. Kibaruk

They "refuse" to lower them because people are still buying them at that price point, if they didn't sell at that price the company would have no other choice but to start lowering the price until they actually sell. Simple Offer vs Demand.

misor likes this.
  17. GhostRyder

Well its mostly the miners who are foolishly continuing to buy them at high price points which is causing the prices to stay or go higher until the miners realize that its not as viable as it was when it first started.

misor likes this.
  18. Kibaruk

If they are overpaying for it, it might be! Those are not common people who look at fancy stats.

19. GhostRyder

Well the problem is pretty simple, the miners are mining things like LiteCoin or DogeCoin (Scrypt based) coins on video cards 24/7 which is very demanding causing the cards to drain alot of power. They think that litecoin or Dogecoin is going to end up exactly like bitcoin which because of the unusual nature and the fact it was first to the market and popular it shot up in value to hundreds of dollars per coin. The problem is so many people in the U.S especially think that this is a get rich quick and easy scheme so they are buying up as many cards as possible that mine at high enough rates that they think is going to get them millions of dollars in coins and become rich like some people did on Bitcoin.

Who knows, maybe im wrong and all those people are going to be millionaires, however if life has taught us one thing its that when something is easily obtained or readily available, its not valuable. It would be like if digging for gold was as easy as going into your backyard with a shovel and digging for an hour. If it was that easy to do, do you think gold would be a valuable resource worth as much money as it is?

misor and Raoul Duke like this.
  20. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

Like most here, I doubt this price will stick beyond the first batch of sales at $279. The R7 265, which is a solid mid-entry level gaming card sold out in less than a day at the MSRP of $150 yesterday. I don't think I can recall a time when an entry level card like that flew off the shelves. It'll be interesting to see if the prices start climbing, forcing gamers out of the market and towards Nvidia again. I have a feeling the same will happen with the R9 280.

The latter must be so heartbreaking for AMD, they are finally selling out their cards like crazy, but unfortunately to a consumer base that will eventually throw them under the bus, with their core audience switching to their competitor.