AMD: No ARM deal in the works, but door not closed either

By Jos
May 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. There's been some speculation the last couple of weeks that AMD is pursuing an ARM architecture license or might even consider buying the company outright. Although rumors that a partnership…

Read the whole story
  2. SSaywell

SSaywell TS Rookie Posts: 39

I really hope AMD don't buy ARM
  3. Agreed - I enjoy ARM being a separate entity that just kind of sites on the outskirts on the market, offering solutions for everything.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Bear in mind the "source" of the rumour, and the fact that the site pretty much lives on front page bombast for site traffic.
    The other side of the coin here

Not exactly likely given the relative market caps of ARM and AMD.....unless Seifert and co get lucky finding a few billion down the back of the couch.
  6. SneekyGeaky

SneekyGeaky TS Rookie

Although it would be very interesting, I doubt AMD has the budget right now to acquire such a fast developing entity as ARM, considering AMD's tight operating income these last years. However, if AMD has no secret plans beyond Wichita to counter the rise of ARM's system on chips, then I doubt too that AMD is as ignorant as to not consider licensing RISC technology from ARM Holdings...
  7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Considering ARM Holdings is worth considerably more than AMD, I'd say that was a massive understatement
    As ignorant as selling off Imageon to Qualcomm (for a pittance) and Xilleon to Broadcom in the first place ?
    When was the last time you saw a board of directors admit they screwed up? Unless the BoD lay the blame entirely on Dirk Meyer for selling off AMD's handheld assets, I would doubt you'll see any of the current executives vote to buy a licence for something they gave away for virtual pocket-change three years ago.
  8. AMD is to use a cutdown bobcat core with ARM mali graphics in an APU mashup that will truly shake the industry. Please keep an eye out for the so-called Bob/Mali chip. **Lion.