quantummechanic

Hello,

At random times, at random activities my machine freezes/ locks up:
- no keyboard response (incl. NumLock)
- no mouse response
- looping audio
- manual reset works
- no error log in Event viewer.

It's a brand new system; Just put it together this Friday. All drivers are up-to-date
Specs:
* Gigabyte GA-MA78GM motherboard
* AMD Phenom 9650 processor
* 1x2 GB Transcend DDR2 800 RAM.
* Win XP Pro SP2.

I have checked the RAM, SMPS, and HDD. Memtest runs fine/

I don't get lockups at heavy-duty activities but they seem to happen happen at "slow" or idle moments (such as in the middle of typing a message), web surfing, or listening to Music.

The uptime periods are variable too. Sometimes the thing doesn't go down for hours [8+ hours] and sometimes it crashes is 15 mins.

I have currently disabled all the onboard peripherals [sound, firewire etc.]

I am running the latest drivers.

Occasionally I do see an error in the event viewer. I get stop code 0x0000000A [Shows as 1000000A which I think is the same.] and 1000007f. This however occurs very infrequently.

SIDENOTE: I have been running Ubuntu Live fore some time now and it is not creahing under tux. Cant confirm that though, because sometimes I do get 8+ hours of uptime on windows too.

SIDENOTE2: Uptime increases when I disable the audio.

My question is:
What should i check / where should i look? Is is a motherboard or a processor problem? Should I try and RMA it? Could this possibly be a hardware problem?

--
I have attached a zip file containing my minidumps.

ntkrpamp.exe very general fault, could be many things

What AntiVirus and or Firewall are you running?
Are there any other Windows startups?
I'm leaning towards software by the way, but how do you connect to the Internet? USB ? Ethernet? Wireless?

Also you have put it all together but decided not to update to SP3, being more optimized and generally safer than SP2 :confused:

Is there a possibility that it could be Virus\Malware related? ie How long has it been since build or last scan? (Edit: I see last Friday ;))

Thanks a bunch for your reply.

I use Avast Home. I had CFP installed but I have removed it temporarily for debugging.

I connect via PPPOE over Ethernet. I am using the Mobo's lan slot. [Have tried using a seperate LAN card. Doesnt help.]

I will install SP3. Downloading it took quite some time on my slow connection, coupled with frequent reboots.

You mean Mobo's lan port

Anyway, that all seems ok
Ram is ok, tested by you
Drivers ok
SP to be updated (if it doesn't fault in the middle of doing it)
You didn't mention other startups, but I'll just say none, for you ;)
Maybe Bios reset (probably done)

Hmm, it could be PowerSupply
Not sure what yet :confused: But you would think that SP2 shouldn't fault anyway

Ok don't know :) (yet)

I have performed a fresh install in XP, patched up to SP3 and isolated the problem to the onboard audio.

When I disable the onboard audio drivers, the system runs fine.
I have tried all the audio drivers I could find. New ones, ones off the motherboard CD etc. The problem continues. Could this be a hardware issue?

I have another very strange problem. When ever I surf using Chrome or IE8, my system starts locking up again. I dont get this problem with Opera, FF or IE6 though. I connect to the net via the Mobo's LAN port [PPPoE]. Could this also somehow be tied to the mobo?

Bad drivers? Bad hardware? What is it?

Sidenote: My Powersupply is fine.

I'll just run through the basics for you again

Remove all internal dust (check internal cables etc)
Bios Reset (or update of Bios revision)
Memtest (7 passes)
Device Drivers (well basically confirmed)
Drive Diagnostics (on your HardDrive)
Reseating your CPU

Actually your "fresh install in XP" did you also remove the partition? Info here:
Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

Memtest: Ran for 17 passes, no issues.
Device Drivers: Using the best I have
CPU reseated: Tried it. Doesn't resolve the issue. :(

I did delete the system partition, but had left my data partitions [d: and e:] intact. Does that make any difference? Should I remove them as well?

And I still have no Idea why Google chrome and IE8 crash on my system?? It seems like a very strange issue. :p

It almost seems like a compatibility issue with some software that you are running
What software packages are running or starting with Windows?

Does it happen in "Safe Mode With Networking" ? (just press F8 key before Windows startup)

I RMA'ed the board, but Gigabyte were unable to fix the issue. And they refused to accept that the board was causing the freeze ups.

After about 2 days of virtually trying everything, I managed to solve the issue.

THe issue completely resolves by simply flashing the BIOS to F4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back