AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU upgrade

eightwpm

Can someone tell me if this cpu works on a Biostar mobo MCP6P-M2+,
I believe it wil but need some reassurance before I do the swap. Understand that BIOS needs upgrading, The Biostar site shows that this will accept either the 2+ or 3+ processor, and that it is 125 watts power. Please advise before I make a wrong move.

Biostar website doesn't actually list that CPU as supported. It also says that 95W CPU's max are recommended, while your CPU of choice is 125W.

I don't think it'll work.

St1ckM4n, thanks for the advice, and the reason I am asking is that I went to Biostar support page through entering the model number and there was a note saying that you could usean AM3 socket and at 125 watts. Have you ever seen this type of notification?A note that this board is compatible with socket 2, 2+, 3. Maybe I am seeing things I will check again if needed. Again appreciate your time.

Biostar website doesn't actually list that CPU as supported. It also says that 95W CPU's max are recommended, while your CPU of choice is 125W.

I don't think it'll work.

Here's what happened, went to buy the woman an Ipad at a retailer and I saw the CPU on sale for $70, knowing that my board accepted AM3 socket and believing up to 125 watts with bios upgrade. This is why I am going through this forum, cause I know you guys are good, and you know your chit.
OK to assist my cause in this matter I have additional info after going to Bio-Star chip support site, and sending them two emails with no results. The model # I have is HDZ965FBGMBOX, although it is not listed it does fall in between two models listed http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/support/cpu_support.php?S_ID=10biostar support.PNG
please tell me what you think?

No, it won't work, the MCP6P-M2+ only supports 95w CPUs and down. The other page you linked to shows physical compatibility of sockets, not motherboards. I doubt it would even POST, as the available BIOS doesn't support it. Also the power phases are not up to the task, and may damage the board if you tried it. Here's the relevant section of the specs;
[FONT=Arial]CPU SUPPORT AMD Phenom™ II X4 Processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]AMD Phenom™ II X3 Processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]AMD Phenom™ X4 Processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]AMD Phenom™ X3 Processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]AMD Sempron™ Processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Maximum CPU TDP (Thermal Design Power) : 95Watt[/FONT]

Note the bottom line

Back