AMD Radeon HD 7000 series -- is it worth waiting?

Are you waiting for the AMD Radeon HD 7000 series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atham

Hello Techspot,

I would just like to know your opinions on waiting for the Radeon HD 7000 series. It is more discussion like then a personal question.

I would like to know if you will wait for the HD 7000 series, and why.

It all depends on whether your just going to talk about purchasing it, or your actually going to purchase something.

I personally do not see the point in waiting if you need something now. If I needed something now, as soon as the funds are available I'll be ordering it.

If you wait for the next best thing in PC technology you'll never actually purchase anything - it moves too fast in all honesty.

It depends on what you are upgrading from. If your current card is sufficient and you just want to upgrade it makes sense to wait, the new cards will be out if you want them and the current (HD6000 series) cards will drop in price if you want one of them, but if your current card is not capable of performing like you need it to upgrading as soon as possible makes more sense.

if you need a graphics card faster than The HD 6990 4Gb then you need to wait the new 7000 series

Sorry for not replying for a while. I am in no need of something faster than the hd 6990.

I currently have an IGP, which isn't that good. I will be getting a new GPU for Christmas. Will the 6950 still be a good choice by then?

yes man it is an excellent Graphics card with fast core and 2 GB of Memory crushing all games in its way

@klepto12
The charts and info are bogus. Supposition based on someones pipedream -debunked pretty much a few days after the charts originally landed on the Expreview (?) forum site.

Here's Mr.AMD's thoughts on the matter (probably the easiest way to diffuse the rumour without AMD-fanatics jumping all over the thread at the perceived outrage).

Why are you asking now?
I will be getting a new GPU for Christmas.
I really wouldn't be posting asking for advice on a purchase three months in the future.

By the time Christmas rolls around, the graphics landscape is going to look different than it is at present. AMD should have their mainstream and performance cards out at the very least.

@klepto12
The charts and info are bogus. Supposition based on someones pipedream -debunked pretty much a few days after the charts originally landed on the Expreview (?) forum site.

Here's Mr.AMD's thoughts on the matter (probably the easiest way to diffuse the rumour without AMD-fanatics jumping all over the thread at the perceived outrage).

sorry for this post then my friend thought it was a good source.

I think I might wait and see what is to offer for what price. Might get a new case for Christmas.

So people that have voted yes, why are you going to wait? Are you in desperate need of a new GPU or just willing to upgrade (I belong to the desperate need of a new GPU ^_^)

BTW, thanks dividebyzero for showing the post. I thought that was true for a while, and right now it might not be as good as it seems on the chart. I hope other people were not fooled.

@klepto12, Atham

A combination of a slow news period and the need to generate page views seems to be behind the viral-like spread of the XDR2 non-story. It seems to have gathered momentum even while being heavily questioned closer to it's source.....the problem when a story gets picked up ad infinitum and each successive posting only attributes the "source" as the immediately preceding version.
Note Techspot ran the same charts a couple of days ago. Nordic Hardware did a cut and paste from an Expreview forum post nearly two weeks ago

So it may, or may not be true. I hope it is, and that the price isn't too high ;)

Imagine if you could unlock the 7950 into a 7970!

Personal Reason for Waiting

I will be waiting for the 7000 cards because I don't really have time for gaming until Christmas anyway. My last discrete card is from 2003 (the ancient Radeon 9800 Pro) so I am horribly outdated and might as well wait for a 28-nm card.

I will be getting a new PSU. I will hook up my friends 9800GT 1GB.
Do you guys think that the hd 7000 series will be out by Christmas?

Back