AMD readies 1090FX and 1070 next-gen Bulldozer chipsets

Jos

AMD is readying two new Bulldozer chipsets for 2012, according to a slide leaked by Turkish site Donanim Haber. The 1090FX and 1070 will arrive as part of the 10-series chipset family for current FX-Series processors as well as any other AM3+ chips. It will do away with the SB850 southbridge component on the 900-series line, which has been around for over a year and a half, and instead rely on a new SB1060 south bridge that serves up eight 6Gbps SATA ports.

The 1090FX chipset will also bring native USB 3.0 support and enough lanes for a dual x16 configuration, but it looks like those features didn't make the cut for the lower-end 1070. Another feature missing on 10-series chipsets is PCI Express Gen 3.0. According to techPowerUp, support for the newer interface is unlikely to arrive on AMD chipsets until their upcoming "Piledriver" processors start selling sometime next year.

amd 1090fx chipsets disclosed

The slide makes several references to Intel's current and upcoming platforms, noting the lack of PCIe 3.0 support and a technology to rival Intel's Smart Response SSD caching feature as two disadvantages for AMD. On the other hand, AMD is touting its platform compatibility and longevity by keeping the AM3+ socket alive for a few more quarters.

There's no word yet on an actual launch date for the new chipsets. AMD's freshly appointed CEO Rory Read is set to talk about the company's strategy and path forward in a 'Worldcast' scheduled for tomorrow.

Permalink to story.

wow, they really have a slide that is matching their latest and greatest chipset and comparing it to x58 which is over 3 years old and is about to be replaced with x79? Intel really is years ahead...

I'd say a couple of generations behind Intel and SB tbh. They have an almost unimaginable amount of catching up to do. So much so, that I doubt they'll even try and compete with the top end Intel processors, and concentrate more on bang per buck, so to speak.

The NB looks like a rehash of the current 9 series and the CPU is still trash. I don't see this helping AMD much, even with backwards compatibility. Good luck Mr. Read, you're gonna need it.

A little interesting that X79 doesn't feature in AMD's forecast for 2012......maybe they are under the impression that the whole Sandy Bridge-E product line is a smoke and mirrors campaign

I'd say a couple of generations behind Intel and SB tbh. They have an almost unimaginable amount of catching up to do. So much so, that I doubt they'll even try and compete with the top end Intel processors, and concentrate more on bang per buck, so to speak.

I have a strange feeling that AMD are simply marking time at this stage. AMD are supposed to issuing a press release tomorrow re: "Project WIN". The general consensus seems to be that AMD are heading towards being near-exclusively a manufacturer of portable/mobile/handheld devices- with some scuttlebutt pointing towards AMD securing an ARM licence...all rather odd since they gave away their wireless IP and ultraportable business to Qualcomm ($65 million) and Broadcom.

If this is indeed the case -and it is looking likely- then I'd think that AMD's desktop/server business would likely implode before before getting anywhere close to Intel's level. I would sincerely doubt that AMD could keep R&D going for both the desktop/enterprise market whilst simultaneously going to war with all the other ARM-licencees and Intel in the ultra-low-voltage sector...especially since AMD is starting from a disadvantageous position -basically a good couple of years behind the rest of the pack...and with no wireless IP as far as I'm aware.

I hope you're not suffering too much being stuck with a Bulldozer build and all.

:) Not suffering to much I have my 1055T but I was hoping that the new Bulldozers would have benchmarked better. I was hoping to upgrade but now I will just stick with what I have and wait for the 1100T to fall in price and maybe pick one up.

Thing I like about AMD is that the parts are cheaper to replace if you kill them overclocking. Haven't done it too many times....enough for it to be a buying point though.

yRaz said:
Thing I like about AMD is that the parts are cheaper to replace if you kill them overclocking. Haven't done it too many times....enough for it to be a buying point though.

One problem with that selling point. With Intel you don't need to overclock the CPU to get performance far beyond what AMD ones provide. So yes it's cheaper to replace an AMD chip if you kill it while overclocking, but if you buy an Intel chip you won't even need to overclock to get the performance that the AMD chip you didn't buy would have given you.

Thing I like about AMD is that the parts are cheaper to replace if you kill them overclocking.
Walmart use the same marketing strategy
Haven't done it too many times....
IT"S YOU DAMMIT! You're the one costing AMD profitability. Pick it up fella'. I (and AMD) want to hear how you demolish board after CPU, after board...
Get creative, see if Red Bull is a viable alternative for oil immersion, dump those board heatsinks- surely a sliced banana and packing tape could do the same job....

The worst thing is when you got an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe and the new one comes equipped with PCIe 3.0. =(

Before AMD can outperform their competition they first need to grasp their competition it's "IvYbridge" not "IvVbridge"

I suspect amd will keep selling server based cpu 's until THE their APU line converges with high end cpu's
probably when the APU is designed at the 22nm level circa 2013.
That makes buying into the FM2 socket a wise choice and why am waiting for trinity.

I have a strange feeling about the new chipsets that AMD will have noticed the demand of PCI-E 3.0 by now and probably working their way up to compete with Intel's new chipsets. + I just bought a GA-990FXA-UD5 yesterday. But i have it coupled with 1100T so would last me another year or a half before i need to upgrade.

Back