TechSpot

AMD rebrands Radeon HD 5700 series as 6700

By Matthew
Apr 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. First appearing in 2009's Radeon HD 5700 products, AMD's Juniper graphics processor has reemerged with a fresh disguise courtesy of the "new" Radeon HD 6700 series. Although we've known since earlier this year that the Radeon HD 6750 and 6770 would be rebranded 5750 and 5770 cards, it was believed that they would remain exclusive to system builders. Apparently, that isn't the case as a flurry of AMD's board partners have just unleashed consumer versions.

Read the whole story

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Sweet. Free upgrade and I don't have to do anything. :p

3. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,461   +508 Staff Member

What do you mean? How exactly?

4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

I was under the impression the firmware could be re-flashed to that of the new card... Least I thought I read it somewhere (P.S. haven't read the article on this occasion so I'm sorry if its been covered in there already).

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

LOL. They'll just send you a sticker of a "6" to put over the "5" on your old card.

6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

Tip-ex, or your favourite marker = job done! :D

7. Chazz

Chazz TS Maniac Posts: 640   +60

His 5770 just became a 6770, 1000 bonus points for doing nothing! it was sarcasm, naturally.

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

Give it a few days. TPU will no doubt upload the 6750 and 6770 BIOS's to their database.
    UVD 3 functionality is entirely a firmware/driver solution (added instruction set)
    HDMI 1.4a functionality, likewise is firmware update.

At the present time I'm not sure if DisplayPort 1.2 functionality is completely firmare based (for any card so equipped-most seem HDMI only), or whether there is a hardware update component. I suspect-like HDMI- it comes down to firmware. All will become clear once the 6750 and 6770 BIOS's become available and could result in some added functionality for any 5750/5770 owner wishing to add 3-D Blu Ray support to their card ( pretty much the only additional feature set being offered by the 6750/6770).

9. Cool. I love how the 5770 has always been a good-bang-for-buck video card and it can still max out most games coming out right now.

10. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Old hardware with a fresh coat of paint. If I had one of these 5700 cards, I think a Sharpie would be sufficient to change it to a 6700 card :) easy, cheap although not exactly elegant.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.