AMD releases Radeon Software 16.6.2 graphics driver

Scorpus

Staff member

To coincide with the launch of their new Radeon RX 480 graphics card, AMD has released a new set of Radeon Software Crimson Edition drivers, version 16.6.2, that bring new features and include support for their latest GPU.

Radeon Software 16.6.2 includes a new feature exclusive to RX 400 series cards called WattMan, which gives users precise controls over voltages, clock speeds, fan speeds and temperatures while overclocking. It allows overclockers to set specific GPU and memory clock speeds when the card enters different states, placing more control at the hands of users.

There are a number of other improvements to Radeon Software in this update, including new HDMI scaling and display color temperature options. Plus you'll find a bunch of new handy toggles and shortcuts around the place for things like CrossFire and the Windows 10 color page.

What you won't find in this driver is a ton of performance enhancements. AMD only lists a new Crossfire profile for World of Tanks, plus a bunch of Crossfire-related fixes in games like Hitman, Heroes of the Storm, and The Witcher 3.

You can download the latest Radeon Software Crimson Edition drivers automatically through Radeon Settings, or you can grab a manual installer here.

Permalink to story.

"What you won't find in this driver is a ton of performance enhancements. AMD only lists a new Crossfire profile for World of Tanks, plus a bunch of Crossfire-related fixes in games like Hitman, Heroes of the Storm, and The Witcher 3."

Why do you have to write this release to have a degrading tone to it?

"What you won't find in this driver is a ton of performance enhancements. AMD only lists a new Crossfire profile for World of Tanks, plus a bunch of Crossfire-related fixes in games like Hitman, Heroes of the Storm, and The Witcher 3."

I really like Techspot, I really do, but when it comes to AMD this site is always bashing, it's a shame really.

Perhaps... but they have a reason to be bashed. I've seen so many BSoD's and other crashes related to AMD/ATi video drivers it isn't even funny. And it continues to happen. In fact I had one this morning! Their driver software is crap and has been for a very long time. nVidia isn't perfect but in my experience their drivers are considerably more reliable.

That being said I don't think any news-oriented site should necessarily bash products based on assumptions. We come here for facts and in the end maybe a small opinion.

I guess but AMD usually doesn't release many drivers so when they do they typically have a lot of perf improvements. This one clearly does not so it is worthy of note.

I really like Techspot, I really do, but when it comes to AMD this site is always bashing, it's a shame really.

No wonder AMD is in trouble as Nvidia bribes tech site "journalists".
AMD is at fault for being bashed. Their products are inferior. You can't blame tech journalists for being worn down by crap.

I used AMD for 3 gens b4 my current card and was fed up with them compared to NV. Seriously I did not want to go NV after their dodgy physx driver crap but AMD just had so many issues and lack of performance it was too hard to ignore the better hardware, Gabe support and drivers of the opposition.

No wonder AMD is in trouble as Nvidia bribes tech site "journalists".
AMD is at fault for being bashed. Their products are inferior. You can't blame tech journalists for being worn down by crap.

I used AMD for 3 gens b4 my current card and was fed up with them compared to NV. Seriously I did not want to go NV after their dodgy physx driver crap but AMD just had so many issues and lack of performance it was too hard to ignore the better hardware, Gabe support and drivers of the opposition.
really....

I guess but AMD usually doesn't release many drivers so when they do they typically have a lot of perf improvements. This one clearly does not so it is worthy of note.

??

AMD has been releasing drivers for almost every AAA title, sometimes getting their profile out before Nvidia.

Recently and I would say more often late.

If for the past 5 months is recently, then yes. It doesn't matter, you contradicted your first post

"I guess but AMD usually doesn't release many drivers so when they do they typically have a lot of perf improvements"

You have to at least admit they you were wrong about AMD's driver release schedule after they did the Crimson upgrade.

Ok I admit recently they are doing better but I am not going to trust that they are worth considering until they get some runs on the board I.e. some consistency and competitiveness/value. A bit burnt by years of over-promising and under-delivery.

Ok I admit recently they are doing better but I am not going to trust that they are worth considering until they get some runs on the board I.e. some consistency and competitiveness/value. A bit burnt by years of over-promising and under-delivery.

That's fair enough. AMD has had a rocky road the last 4 years.

Back