AMD Reschedules 32nm: Lano Before Bulldozer

Airborne Bulldozer!.....sounds dangerous.

Didn't take long for AMD's John Fruehe (JF-AMD) to step into the fray judging by the comments section. I don't envy the guy's workload in trying to keep AMD's server business looking like a model of corporate efficiency.

LOL Z!

What are you hearing about Bulldozer? You always seem to have good insights and information on hardware.

With regards it's launch date?
As far as I'm aware AMD is still on track for Q3 (July?) and Q4 consumer availability.
As for the performance and design parameters I tend to pay close attention to David Kanter (RWT) , Hans de Vries and Dresden Boy's blog for my overview. Most mainstream sites tend to degenerate into AMD fanboy wish lists and Intel fanboy derision - this oddly enough I think works in AMD's favour. Anyone looking to purchase AMD kit after solely reading about the architecture wouldn't even contemplate a Deneb/Thuban purchase now (killing AMD's enthusuast CPU share stone dead) unless they fancied gambling on the 890FX chipset's longevity.
More knowledgeable and better informed people than myself still rate Intel's product (Sandy Bridge-E /-EN/-EP and Ivy Bridge) likely a better overall performer than Bulldozer, though BD could-and probably will-shine in heavily threaded applications. Still a lot of speculation on final clockspeeds and turbo (and it's TDP restrictions) it seems to make more than an educated guess at this stage regarding overall performance. The range bandied around is quite large (2.5 - 3.8GHz) which probably points to no one including AMD knowing what the chip is capable of until they get commercial quantities back from the foundry.

Around and around we go. Just wondering, has anyone seen a projected release date for an AM3+ motherboard yet?

Around and around we go. Just wondering, has anyone seen a projected release date for an AM3+ motherboard yet?

I haven't seen a thing. I imagine that we won't see anything for awhile except "leaked" items. Until Bulldozer has gone gold, so to speak, we'll just keep going round and round.

The USB 3.0 overall spec has only recently signed off it totality -the 19-pin motherboard header hasn't been "standard" for too long -hence the reason that chassis manufacturers held back on implementing the feature. Implemented now, but too late for inclusion for the SB920/SB950 (AMD) and definitely too late for inclusion in SLH82/83/84/85/86/99 Cougar Point (Intel PCH).
Intels next platform controller hub, Patsburg (for Sandy Bridge-E) will have embedded USB 3.0 so it's a safe assumption that AMD's next offering (following 990FX) will also be so equipped.

Back