AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Review: Yea or Nay?

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Review: Yea or Nay?

How about...

yeah.png

Gonna wait for Zen4 to launch and hopefully bag a Zen3 upgrade for my Ryzen 5 3600 for not much and sell my 3600 for £80-100.

In my region it has better pricing actually (~122 eur), although usually prices are higher here because of VAT.
It needs to go down below 110$ in order to make sense for a budget AM4 - b450 build.

Thank you for this one. I've got a 2600 and am running a 6600 (low patience and it wasn't awfully priced at the time but yeah I should have waited) so this did help. My B450 is only 3.0 so I was considering going low since I'm not getting 4.0 performance on the card anyways. This tells me keep waiting until 5600[X] is at a better price.

Bad move naming a processor Ryzen 5500 when in fact is a previous gen architecture, also bad price.
BTW this practice is so common nowadays that I do not remember who did it first among Intel, AMD or Nvidia.

Bad move naming a processor Ryzen 5500 when in fact is a previous gen architecture, also bad price.
BTW this practice is so common nowadays that I do not remember who did it first among Intel, AMD or Nvidia.
How is it bad naming when in fact it is a Zen 3 CPU but because it is basically a 5600G with the iGPU removed or disabled naming it anything 5000 series is spot on. It just to bad it only has the 16MB L3 cache since that is what is hurting it's performance so much & not because it is an older Zen 2 design.

Goes to show you though that Zen likes it's cache and the more you give it the faster they get. The 5800X3D is a prime example of that. Now I know it would have been costly for AMD to do this but I bet if they released Zen 3 with no less than 64MB of L3 cache that the performance would have been so much better and probably would have made them equal to Alder Lake at least in gaming and maybe common works loads as well.

It would have been great marketing too when AMD could say oh look our new 5900x & 5950x CPU's have a total of 128MB L3 cache and we are the first to do this on everyday desktop CPU's. Again it would not have been cost affective for AMD to add that much cache but it sure would have been even more of a attention getter and if they released them with 64MB per CCX and at the same prices they were released at.

People would have probably been complaining less about the prices this way. Then again some people will complain because they like to attention and are never satisfied no matter what lol.

How is it bad naming when in fact it is a Zen 3 CPU but because it is basically a 5600G with the iGPU removed or disabled naming it anything 5000 series is spot on. It just to bad it only has the 16MB L3 cache since that is what is hurting it's performance so much & not because it is an older Zen 2 design.

Goes to show you though that Zen likes it's cache and the more you give it the faster they get. The 5800X3D is a prime example of that. Now I know it would have been costly for AMD to do this but I bet if they released Zen 3 with no less than 64MB of L3 cache that the performance would have been so much better and probably would have made them equal to Alder Lake at least in gaming and maybe common works loads as well.

It would have been great marketing too when AMD could say oh look our new 5900x & 5950x CPU's have a total of 128MB L3 cache and we are the first to do this on everyday desktop CPU's. Again it would not have been cost affective for AMD to add that much cache but it sure would have been even more of a attention getter and if they released them with 64MB per CCX and at the same prices they were released at.

People would have probably been complaining less about the prices this way. Then again some people will complain because they like to attention and are never satisfied no matter what lol.
Yes u r right sir, this processor has some feature of Zen 3 and some features of Zen2, like PCI 3. AMD could easily named it 4500X and nobody would have to criticize it. The same for 4600G and 4700G. But I understand AMD marketing decision.

Last edited:
Bad move naming a processor Ryzen 5500 when in fact is a previous gen architecture
Except that, it isn't. Cezanne and Vermeer are both Zen 3, and in fact Cezanne's release came a few months after Vermeer. As other posters have pointed out, the performance hit is due primarily to cache reduction.

Except that, it isn't. Cezanne and Vermeer are both Zen 3, and in fact Cezanne's release came a few months after Vermeer. As other posters have pointed out, the performance hit is due primarily to cache reduction.
You are right, my mistake (y) (Y)

AMD only has the Ryzen 5 5500 name left for 6 core CPUs as anything lower should be called a Ryzen 3, e.g Ryzen 3 5400. However, Ryzen 3s are quad core CPUs, so AMD did not want to confuse the buyers.

The bottom line is that the 5500 is basically a failed 5600G that AMD has salvaged. Now we wait and see if retailers will start discounting it.

In the article it is said that, comparing the 5500 with the 5600, 40$ "is a very small saving". But when comparing it to a second hand 3600, 40$ is "a lot less".

We're still waiting for the GTX1630 review, to see if can break the record for lowest Techspot score...Or is that reserved only for AMD parts?

No, they shat on the 1630 review as well.

OT, this $140 garbage is way overpriced, AMD should have dropped this as a $95 cpu as it cant even beat the i3 12100 @ $109

Not to mention, the R5 5600x is $174, so $34 more gets you a much better cpu. a 5600 non x can be had on ebay for $150

Lousy AMD product! Got a Ryzen 5600X last summer (lucky to finally get one at then-MSRP) and it's been working well since, but I truly now HATE AMD and would never again buy a CPU or GPU from them again. I am the disgruntled owner of a RX6700X GPU bought also last summer and was very lucky (if you can call it that) to get one finally on Amazon for over a grand!!! D*mn the miners, same to the bots and same to AMD a(gain). Got a working PC from last year but next time around it ;will likely be a Apple product 'cuz I really HATE AMD so much (and NVIDIA is the same). Just another old codger out there still building my PCs and trying to deal with Microsoft and Intel and AMD their crappy pricing, products and policies! OMHO.I Lowest level of Dante's hells is too good for them all.

Lousy AMD product! Got a Ryzen 5600X last summer (lucky to finally get one at then-MSRP) and it's been working well since, but I truly now HATE AMD and would never again buy a CPU or GPU from them again. I am the disgruntled owner of a RX6700X GPU bought also last summer and was very lucky (if you can call it that) to get one finally on Amazon for over a grand!!! D*mn the miners, same to the bots and same to AMD a(gain). Got a working PC from last year but next time around it ;will likely be a Apple product 'cuz I really HATE AMD so much (and NVIDIA is the same). Just another old codger out there still building my PCs and trying to deal with Microsoft and Intel and AMD their crappy pricing, products and policies! OMHO.I Lowest level of Dante's hells is too good for them all.
You hate AMD? they've force intel to price i5's at less than $150, sorry but you should be thanking AMD, if it wasn't for them intel would be wanting $250 for a quad core i5 still.

Having found this CPU for 105 GBP it still has value when pairing with older GPUs, if you currently have a B450 board and an older gen low end Ryzen.

For example I just sold a Ryzen 3 3200G for 55GBP and spent an extra 50 on buying this CPU to pair it with a GTX 1060 6GB, for a super budget gaming PC.

Its not going to set the world on fire with performance, but I feel it still has a place for upgrades
and budget combos such as this.

This is a bit of a crazy CPU right now (I realise that this thread is old as dirt) but I hadn't heard of the R5-5500 before today because Canada Computers has it in stock for literally $1 LESS than the R5-3600 but it's still not really worth it.

The reason for this is that if you have a Ryzen 3000 CPU, you most likely already have an R5-3600(X) and the upgrade is just not worth it. OTOH, if you have a Ryzen 1000 CPU, you need a Ryzen 3000 CPU in order to update your BIOS to accept Ryzen 5000.

On my ASRock X370 Killer SLI (and my friend's ASRock X370 Fatal1ty), BIOS v5.40 allows the board to accept Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPUs. However, for BIOS v5.50-v6.00, it specifically states the following:
*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.

The BIOS version that accepts Ryzen 5000 is v7.30 but before installing that update, the BIOS must first be updated to v7.00 and when that version is installed, the board will never again support Ryzen 1000 CPUs:
*This BIOS doesn't support Bristol Ridge CPU, do NOT update this BIOS if Bristol Ridge CPU is being used.
**User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.

This makes the R5-5500 a REALLY tough sell no matter how cheap it is unless you're buying it with a 500-series motherboard and that means a new AM4 build which isn't a very good idea right now unless you're really looking for budget gaming.

The reason for this is that if you have a Ryzen 3000 CPU, you most likely already have an R5-3600(X) and the upgrade is just not worth it. OTOH, if you have a Ryzen 1000 CPU, you need a Ryzen 3000 CPU in order to update your BIOS to accept Ryzen 5000.

On my ASRock X370 Killer SLI (and my friend's ASRock X370 Fatal1ty), BIOS v5.40 allows the board to accept Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPUs. However, for BIOS v5.50-v6.00, it specifically states the following:
*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.

The BIOS version that accepts Ryzen 5000 is v7.30 but before installing that update, the BIOS must first be updated to v7.00 and when that version is installed, the board will never again support Ryzen 1000 CPUs:
*This BIOS doesn't support Bristol Ridge CPU, do NOT update this BIOS if Bristol Ridge CPU is being used.
**User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.

This makes the R5-5500 a REALLY tough sell no matter how cheap it is unless you're buying it with a 500-series motherboard and that means a new AM4 build which isn't a very good idea right now unless you're really looking for budget gaming.
My B350 board does not have this limitation and I can go from R3 1200 to 5500 and am happy with it. Comes with Uncharted 4 bundle and I wanted to buy this game anyway this christmas so that makes it even sweeter. Can't really compare to US prices because I'm in EU and we have VAT+ had to pay for DHL shipping. All together for 121€(127$). If you deduct costs of U4 (49.99 right now) then CPU itself including shipping was ca 74$. was considering 5600 but as B350 is only 3.0 board and am not chasing high FPS gaming I did not want to add +40$

My B350 board does not have this limitation and I can go from R3 1200 to 5500 and am happy with it. Comes with Uncharted 4 bundle and I wanted to buy this game anyway this christmas so that makes it even sweeter. Can't really compare to US prices because I'm in EU and we have VAT+ had to pay for DHL shipping. All together for 121€(127$). If you deduct costs of U4 (49.99 right now) then CPU itself including shipping was ca 74$. was considering 5600 but as B350 is only 3.0 board and am not chasing high FPS gaming I did not want to add +40$
Wow, how did they do that? When the 300-series boards came out, the 5000-series CPUs weren't even a twinkle in Lisa Su's eye yet! The 2000 and 3000 didn't even exist yet.

I now feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone...

Wow, how did they do that? When the 300-series boards came out, the 5000-series CPUs weren't even a twinkle in Lisa Su's eye yet! The 2000 and 3000 didn't even exist yet.

I now feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone...
My B350 supports 5800X3D but then I'm thinking is it worth spending £330 on a CPU that I won't notice any major performance increase, except in a handful of games. In terms of work it would benefit me much except 4 extra threads if I wanted to run some extra VM's over my Ryzen 3600.

My B350 supports 5800X3D but then I'm thinking is it worth spending £330 on a CPU that I won't notice any major performance increase, except in a handful of games. In terms of work it would benefit me much except 4 extra threads if I wanted to run some extra VM's over my Ryzen 3600.
The R7-5800X3D is all about longevity for me. It will be a great gaming CPU for many years to come and since gaming is the most hardware-intensive thing that I do on my PC, it's worth it to me to be able put off having to buy a new motherboard and RAM for a good long time. This is especially true when you consider how much AM5 costs and how much less expensive it will be years from now. I spent a little now to save a lot later.

Hell, I "upgraded" from an R7-5700X. I'm going to sell that CPU to a co-worker who wants to upgrade from his R7-1800X.

I have noticed the r5 3600 is going up in price used average like $150 and I got r5 5500 for $122 new I will take new at that price I dont play any games that take a ton on cpu power I say r5 5500 is a good cpu for the price I have seen it for as low as 99+ cant complain at that price

Back