AMD Ryzen 7800X3D vs. 7900X3D vs. 7950X3D: Gaming Benchmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
7950X3D has worked very well for me as I needed a part that can do productivity and gaming as well without penalty, and it does both well, where I can go from games to a code compile to my light cad work with no problems, and only have a fairly minor drop in performance for productivity - setting "this is a game" in game bar seems to have worked well enough to get the scheduling to work properly, and the really nice benefit is that it uses less power and gets nowhere near as hot as the non-x3d part alongside that, so that definitely gives some savings.

One thing I've seen some people do was disabling the non 3DVcache cores on their 7950X3D CPUs and they got a further improvement in game FPS. The 7950X3D seems to boost higher than the 7800X3D and that's where they claim to get a further improvement.

In most cases, they probably could get the same result by taking the time to configure Process Lasso, their games, and a 7950X3D.

I knew I was going to game at 2160p so I simply took the 7950x.

You get better compute performance and the same gaming performance since you are in GPU bottleneck anyway...

Unless you play games that are not optimized like Dragon Dogma.

However, gaming benchmarks for CPU are unrealistic. Nobody would play in CPU bottleneck in 2024. If you are playing at 1080p with a 4090 or an XTX, then you don't know anything about DIY PC.

I knew I was going to game at 2160p so I simply took the 7950x.

You get better compute performance and the same gaming performance since you are in GPU bottleneck anyway...

Unless you play games that are not optimized like Dragon Dogma.

However, gaming benchmarks for CPU are unrealistic. Nobody would play in CPU bottleneck in 2024. If you are playing at 1080p with a 4090 or an XTX, then you don't know anything about DIY PC.
OR, you are chasing ultra high FPS.

But I guess it only counts as DIY PC if it fits your specific narrative of how to use a PC.

But I guess it only counts as DIY PC if it fits your specific narrative of how to use a PC.
Realistically he's not wrong though. If you bought a 4090, therefore dropping close to (or possibly more than) $2000 on your GPU, would you seriously only use a 1080p display? Even if you're chasing super-high framerates, the monitors designed with 300Hz+ displays are almost always 1440p these days. There are very, very few high-end 1080p monitors now; the vast majority of screens at that resolution are low- to mid-range, sub-$300 stuff, and again, if you bought a 4090 you probably have the money for a much, much better display unless you are incredibly bad at budgeting.

Realistically he's not wrong though. If you bought a 4090, therefore dropping close to (or possibly more than) $2000 on your GPU, would you seriously only use a 1080p display? Even if you're chasing super-high framerates, the monitors designed with 300Hz+ displays are almost always 1440p these days. There are very, very few high-end 1080p monitors now; the vast majority of screens at that resolution are low- to mid-range, sub-$300 stuff, and again, if you bought a 4090 you probably have the money for a much, much better display unless you are incredibly bad at budgeting.
"playing at 1080p" does not mean "using a 1080p panel". These things are correlated, but not the same thing.

I feel, one needs to reinspect the true value of the 7900x3d. I suspect the 7900x3d (and even a tiny 7600x or any modern Ryzen) to be equal to 7800x3d and 7950x3d when you are not in cpu limit (like in 4k, where a 4090 should be). At least differences should be pretty boring (and this is why we don't see benchmarks of those resolutions).

So, if you are not cpu limited, the 7900x3d gives you a better allaround cpu with 4 more cores for productivity. And they boost higher, too. Suddenly the 7900x3d is not too shabby for 20$ more than the 7800x3d in this scenario, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the article, Steve! I have been waiting for something like this, though as you suggest, it is about what we would expect.

I saved up and built a 7800x3d system last year with fairly high end parts because of the new AM5 Socket. My thinking was that the 7800x3d was the perfect CPU for the money at the time. I chose it planning to replace it in a generation or two while keeping my motherboard and most other parts. Hopefully I picked the right motherboard (MSI MEG X670E ACE) and everything else.

Since most reviews are based on prices and availability of parts right now, it is more of a challenge to buy parts for socket platforms that will be around for a while. I wish more reviews would factor in the "long game"...

I have had my Ryzen 7700x for 16 months now, as a placeholder in my x670e HERO board.

It is great to see how AMD's X3D (stacking) technology really helps with certain types of games, etc. The AM5 platform is going places later this year and I am so glad I chose the AM5 platform for my own personal gaming rig/studio (even though I was building raptor-lake rigs for clanmates).

Looking at some of the X3D's jumps vs baseline in some of these graphs, I can't wait to sink my wallet into one of the new 8800X3D's that are coming in ~6 months time. It is going to be legit.

I conservatively suspect nearly 20%+ more frames (than the 7700x) & using my 1 year old XTX...

I dont really understand why people are buying anything but the 7600X when it comes to AMD. Times have changed, you really really dont need an expensive CPU to play games with. The 7600X is $208 right now, thats a good price for a gaming part.

Where I live there are some amazing motherboard, CPU and RAM deals on a 12700KF (roughly $250). Id probably just go for that. I'm sure its not as good as Ryzen at gaming maybe. But it will be more than good enough to feed a modern sensibly priced CPU.

I dont really understand why people are buying anything but the 7600X when it comes to AMD.
Probably better to go with the 7600 (without the X) as it offers near identical performance, doesn't run so hot, comes with a decent cooler included and is cheaper. Anyway, that's why I went for the 7600. Admittedly, if I could of got a decent MB and RAM included for $250, then I'd of gone for that as well.

These tests should be at 1440p. Yes, I know that the differences between the cpu’s there sometimes will be 0 as it becomes GPU bound in some games - but it’s the differences in this resolution that will be the deciding factor for me. Say there’s 0 difference between a 7700x and a 7800x3d at 1440p - then in a real scenario - people shouldn’t be falling for the gimmick that is «gaming cpu’s»

So please - come with 1440p Benchmarks

I would say his specific narrative is by far the norm, given the article is about benchmarking gaming performance. That said, it would be nice to see some actual CPU related games, stuff like Paradox games where they can slow down late game.

The "3d" really doesn't seem necessary unless you are using your PC SOLELY for gaming - AND you require the absolute best FPS you can get.

Almost all games are GPU bound these days and even CPUs from previous generations give perfectly acceptable FPS.

As someone who uses his PC primarily for productivity, I know none of them are for me but... even my Threadripper 7980x games perfectly fine - and it is clearly not designed for gaming...

7900X3D was a big mistake. Only 6 cores with 3D cache.....

AMD should put 3D cache on all cores next time they do 3D chips. 7950X3D losing to 7800X3D in multiple games tells us that too many games uses the wrong cores. 99.9% of users won't be using Proces Lasso for every game they play and this should not be needed in the first place to get best performance.

The only chip that makes sense for gamers is 7800X3D which is why AMD launched the other two first.

If you actually need great productivity perf and still need great gaming performance Intel has better options than 7900X3D and 7950X3D.

I hope Ryzen 9000 3D models will have higher clockspeed and 3D cache on all cores, delivering a more balanced chip, with less hassle for the end-user.

Last edited:
7900X3D was a big mistake. Only 6 cores with 3D cache.....

AMD should put 3D cache on all cores next time they do 3D chips. 7950X3D losing to 7800X3D in multiple games tells us that too many games uses the wrong cores. 99.9% of users won't be using Proces Lasso for every game they play and this should not be needed in the first place to get best performance.

The only chip that makes sense for gamers is 7800X3D which is why AMD launched the other two first.

If you actually need great productivity perf and still need great gaming performance Intel has better options than 7900X3D and 7950X3D.
you see, Intel's productivity performance Without Process Lasso is pure crap. Thanks to Thread Director that puts background processes on Crap cores. One of the stupidest ideas ever.

you see, Intel's productivity performance Without Process Lasso is pure crap. Thanks to Thread Director that puts background processes on Crap cores. One of the stupidest ideas ever.
I see.

"Faster in productivity than any other AMD Ryzen CPU"

+

"Incredible gaming performance"

Meanwhile with AMD you have to choose between regular and 3D chips depending on your needs. One chip won't do it all.

Lets see if AMD will fix this major flaw with Zen 5.

I see.

+

"Incredible gaming performance"

Meanwhile with AMD you have to choose between regular and 3D chips depending on your needs. One chip won't do it all.

Lets see if AMD will fix this major flaw with Zen 5.
I didn't talk about benchmark BS, read again what I wrote.

I didn't talk about benchmark BS, read again what I wrote.
Read again what they wrote.

Did you read it yet?

Read again what they wrote.

Did you read it yet?
No. Answer question: do you keep any task that does not need user input (like waiting file compression to get ready) on foreground or do you put it on background? 99.9% of users put it on background instead looking at progress bar.

Now you probably can understand what that means? And so long about Intel being faster. Do not believe what amateurs say.

@Squid Surprise

This forum has strange habit of deleting messages. So I give answer to your question why that is relevant. Real life story where productivity worker is praying and begging for AMD CPU.

Person is doing productivity work on Windows computer. He has NO admin rights or any permission to install additional software. He is running compute heavy work on virtual machine. I see him doing work. He drags virtual machine window left, right, up and down with mouse. I give him strange look. "It works faster this way", he says. He says many things including "please, someone give me AMD CPU, I beg and cry for it". (discussion went on for some time).

Now, why does that person drag virtual machine window all over the place? Because he has Intel CPU with Hybrid Architecture. And if he does NOT drag that virtual machine window, Thread director considers it to be "background job" and puts it for Crap cores that are of course much slower than P-cores. And since that job is CPU intensive and it's important to get ready quickly, he must drag window all over the place since he has no rights to install additional software.

There you have it. Productivity worker begging and praying to have AMD CPU instead Intel.

If I would have told him I have AMD CPU, he Might have smacked me in the face ;)

@Squid Surprise

This forum has strange habit of deleting messages. So I give answer to your question why that is relevant. Real life story where productivity worker is praying and begging for AMD CPU.

Person is doing productivity work on Windows computer. He has NO admin rights or any permission to install additional software. He is running compute heavy work on virtual machine. I see him doing work. He drags virtual machine window left, right, up and down with mouse. I give him strange look. "It works faster this way", he says. He says many things including "please, someone give me AMD CPU, I beg and cry for it". (discussion went on for some time).

Now, why does that person drag virtual machine window all over the place? Because he has Intel CPU with Hybrid Architecture. And if he does NOT drag that virtual machine window, Thread director considers it to be "background job" and puts it for Crap cores that are of course much slower than P-cores. And since that job is CPU intensive and it's important to get ready quickly, he must drag window all over the place since he has no rights to install additional software.

There you have it. Productivity worker begging and praying to have AMD CPU instead Intel.

If I would have told him I have AMD CPU, he Might have smacked me in the face ;)
So you have one anecdote for something that is clearly a specific use-case… bravo… now provide some evidence that says you should buy a 79503d or 79003d over a 14000 when you want productivity and gaming…

I await your response…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back