AMD Ryzen 5 5600 vs. Intel Core i5-12400F: GPU Scaling Benchmark

Very good test. Thank you (y) (Y)*nerd*

Yeah, the more CPU bound, the more 12400 win. It is really good value ... i5-12500 is only like 15-20 dollars more and have +500 MHz base and +200 MHz boost clocks.

However if the motherboard allows for overclocking of non-K chips it would not really matter since chip is identical.

6C/12T is really bare minimum these days. I'd personally not buy less than 8C/16T (meaning 8+ performance cores)

If I had to buy RIGHT NOW it would be 12700K or 5800X3D.

My 5800X will work a few more years tho. I look to jump on Intel 14th gen or Ryzen 8000 series in 2023/2024 when DDR5 has matured (in terms of speed, timings, availability and price)

The next few years are going to be fun! CPU market competition is real. Can't wait for Ryzen 7000 reviews, and shortly after, Raptor Lake.

However Ryzen 8000 vs Meteor Lake is going to be the true battle.
Ryzen 7000 is 1st gen stuff meaning probably issues and Raptor Lake is just Alder Lake on drugs. Ryzen 8000 will be a mature platform and Meteor Lake (on Intel 4 node) is a much bigger step up than Alder Lake to Raptor Lake.

I hope Ryzen 8000 series will be on 3nm TSMC or at least 4nm (aka optimized 5nm).

LETS GOOO.

Last edited:
While I await the AMD trolls who will point out that productivity is better on the 5600 - or that power efficiency is better on the 5600... it is clear (and has been for a few months now), that Intel has caught up to AMD in the desktop CPU market.

Now I await their entry into the HEDT - hopefully next year?

Good to know both are pretty close in performance and prices. Now days motherboard features and prices can also have more of an effect on which processor to go with.

While I await the AMD trolls who will point out that productivity is better on the 5600 - or that power efficiency is better on the 5600... it is clear (and has been for a few months now), that Intel has caught up to AMD in the desktop CPU market.

Alder Lake-X should come this year

And Sapphire Rapids for enterprise

Both on Intel 7 node

No doubt Intel is back with Alder Lake, however they were never completely lost, 11th gen was probably the only generation which was "bad" in recent years. Both 8th, 9th and 10th generation had some great SKUs which are still very good even today.

People would be surprised if they knew how much a 8700K @ 5 GHz still is capable of. I still have a 9900K running at 5 GHz all-core in my 2nd rig and that chip is damn close to my 5800X at 4.6 in most stuff.. Even wins in some workloads. In gaming they pretty much perform identical for the most part.

Last edited:
Very nice test, Intel is to-go option for any person changing whole system, but as 5600 will run on 'ancient' motherboards that would be still a valid and cheap update for those in AMD space.

Very nice test, Intel is to-go option for any person changing whole system, but as 5600 will run on 'ancient' motherboards that would be still a valid and cheap update for those in AMD space.

Yeah if the motherboard actually supports 5000 series, or even 3000 series.

Most that went with cheap SKUs in 1000 and 2000 series, bought cheap motherboards too, and manufacturers did not bother releasing firmware updates to support 3000 and 5000 series CPUs. Some even claimed firmware would become too big to add the new chips...

1000 to 5000 series is a huge upgrade tho. Because 1000 and 2000 series were really not that fast. Ryzen first became good when AMD went TSMC 7nm.

Don't forget that even AMD tried to stop 1000/2000 users from using 3000/5000 on their old motherboards :joy: They gave in at last due to community rage.

Personally tho, I don't know anyone who have made the jump from 1000/2000 to 3000/5000 using same board... Most I know cares about new features and re-using old boards cuts you off

The performance boost tho, going from lets say Ryzen 1600 to Ryzen 5800X3D in gaming would be crazy haha... 1000/2000 series were really bad for gaming 🤣

Personally tho, I don't know anyone who have made the jump from 1000/2000 to 3000/5000 using same board... Most I know cares about new features and re-using old boards cuts you off
Most if not all boards support all Ryzen generations.
I went 2700X (55% off), 3600, 5600X on same Prime X470-Pro.
X570 chipset has little over X470 besides PCIe 4, but CPU-Z and AIDA64 both say I have it.

Last edited:
When you test 5800X3D please add 1440p resolution (and even 4K if possible)

Also, test 12700K with E cores disable. E cores is meant to improve multi-core performance to match 5900X but it does not help with gaming (it actually make games perform little worse). However 5800X3D is only 8 cores. 12700K can probably beat it in productivity even without E cores. So 12700K should be tested under best condition when doing gaming test by disabling E cores

As a AMD user I'm glad that INTEL could catch up fast, the more competition, the better for us consumers. INTEL's dominace till 8th gen was hell, very light improvements and always growing up prices. If AMD were to dominate the market like that surely would do the same.

Most that went with cheap SKUs in 1000 and 2000 series, bought cheap motherboards too, and manufacturers did not bother releasing firmware updates to support 3000 and 5000 series CPUs. Some even claimed firmware would become too big to add the new chips...

1000 to 5000 series is a huge upgrade tho. Because 1000 and 2000 series were really not that fast. Ryzen first became good when AMD went TSMC 7nm.

Don't forget that even AMD tried to stop 1000/2000 users from using 3000/5000 on their old motherboards :joy: They gave in at last due to community rage.

The performance boost tho, going from lets say Ryzen 1600 to Ryzen 5800X3D in gaming would be crazy haha... 1000/2000 series were really bad for gaming 🤣
I went from an R5 1600 on B450M to R5 3600 then 3600XT on the same board.

One thing I'm unhappy with AMD about is the limited Over clock capabilities due to Ageasa Changes. That 3600xt could easily hit 4800 on all cores on the b450 board but on the b550 board, it can't overclock at all beyond the 4.2 boost clocks. Not sure what the issue is but not happy so I'm seriously looking at Intel for the next build.

Wow - on and on with a skewed opinion. And we can tell that's all it is because real world experience shows us the 2000 series is 100% fine for gaming - many folks still using for just that. And as for not knowing anyone that has done the keep same mobo / upgrade firmware and CPU series - well 2 on of the 10 or so replies here have said they've just that. Many folks have! Damn - Google SKU, cos I dont think you know that one either :joy:

Wow - on and on with a skewed opinion. And we can tell that's all it is because real world experience shows us the 2000 series is 100% fine for gaming - many folks still using for just that. And as for not knowing anyone that has done the keep same mobo / upgrade firmware and CPU series - well 2 on of the 10 or so replies here have said they've just that. Many folks have! Damn - Google SKU, cos I dont think you know that one either :joy:
Real world, yeah casuals gamers will be fine like always, and they will also be fine with a 12 year old i7-2600K so what is your point? :joy:

Most if not all boards support all Ryzen generations.
I went 2700X (55% off), 3600, 5600X on same Prime X470-Pro.
X570 chipset has little over X470 besides PCIe 4, but CPU-Z and AIDA64 both say I have it.
Not true, tons of cheap entry level 300 series boards don't and never got firmware update to support 5000 series, some even did not get updates for 3000 series. Alot of them did not have the needed ROM size to fit all models.

People who did not cheap out generally could upgrade yeah, but still the board lacked tons of features which all came later.

Not true, tons of cheap entry level 300 series boards don't and never got firmware update to support 5000 series, some even did not get updates for 3000 series. Alot of them did not have the needed ROM size to fit all models.

People who did not cheap out generally could upgrade yeah, but still the board lacked tons of features which all came later.
The 300 series JUST got the nod from AMD for support so it will take time to get support on all those boards with bios updates. And you don't need a "ton of features" to run a CPU at stock.

The 300 series JUST got the nod from AMD for support so it will take time to get support on all those boards with bios updates. And you don't need a "ton of features" to run a CPU at stock.
Most of the cheap boards don't have the ROM space to support more CPUs, especially not the cheap ones, and the manufacturers don't even bother updating the firmware anyway. Crappy VRM too which limits boostclocks. Meh..

Even with added cpu support, those cheap and old motherboards lacks tons of features and might die tomorrow because of no warrenty and support. What is the point. Wait for next gen stuff and replace it all.

I have never re-used a motherboard in my 25+ years of building.

But then again, I don't do budget builds... Mid-end or better is the only stuff I buy and I like new shiny stuff instead of re-using old crap parts :joy:

Most of the cheap boards don't have the ROM space to support more CPUs, especially not the cheap ones, and the manufacturers don't even bother updating the firmware anyway. Crappy VRM too which limits boostclocks. Meh..

Even with added cpu support, those cheap and old motherboards lacks tons of features and might die tomorrow because of no warrenty and support. What is the point. Wait for next gen stuff and replace it all.

I have never re-used a motherboard in my 25+ years of building.

But then again, I don't do budget builds... Mid-end or better is the only stuff I buy and I like new shiny stuff instead of re-using old crap parts :joy:
You're getting a lot wrong.
If you don't know the budget market then don't speak on it.

You're getting a lot wrong.
If you don't know the budget market then don't speak on it.
Not really, there was tons of articles about 300 series boards who did not get firmware updates to support newer ryzen skus, including alot of MSI boards which got new revisions called MAX which had increased ROM SIZE and full support for 3000/5000 series. Hell even some 400 series boards lacked support and still does.

Budget hardware is meh tho. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I think the biggest issue with the 5600 is it's come about 8 months late to the market, gamers ideally needed this last summer. Now if you was building a new system it's better to get the 12400f with a B660 motherboard.

Not really, there was tons of articles about 300 series boards who did not get firmware updates to support newer ryzen skus, including alot of MSI boards which got new revisions called MAX which had increased ROM SIZE and full support for 3000/5000 series. Hell even some 400 series boards lacked support and still does.

Budget hardware is meh tho. You get what you pay for.
Agreed I paid for a Asus B350 prime plus in 2017 and I'm maxed at Zen2 line up.

What about Intel vs AMD cpu with Radeons with SAM/on ?
I totally agree. I know this is a cpu article but gamers are always looking for more FPS. I really feel like this is a biased article and not complete since no AMD video cards were used and benchmarked.

Pretty cut and dry win for Alder lake. This is consistent, right now only AMD fanboys should buying Ryzen 5000.

Also everyone is assuming older AM4 board owners can just buy a Ryzen 5000 series when that’s simply not the case. Loads of boards have gone unsupported or abandoned and those that can do it will miss out on new features and will likely be using slower sub 3000mts RAM.

Last edited:
Back