AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Ryzen 7 7700 and Ryzen 9 7900 Review: Re-reviewing Zen 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 7600 non X looks like a great CPU for a budget build, now if AMD can get A620 boards out at some point to bring mobo prices back to reality.

Since you have one, could techspot take a look at 7600 performance when running at a 45w TDP instead of 65w? I'm really curious what this could do in a restrictive TDP environment for SFF builds.

The 7600 non X looks like a great CPU for a budget build, now if AMD can get A620 boards out at some point to bring mobo prices back to reality.

AMD & mobo OEMs need to clear stock from the prev gen equipment first. Otherwise A620 may leave it on shelves.

There's no need in 7600 when we talk about budget gaming, either. The difference between the 5600 and 7600 is sensible in CPU bound scenarios, when 4090 is installed. But budget gaming is another story. Sure, we need updated CPU scaling data then.

But A620 with DDR5-4800 will be attractive sooner or later.

My i5-12600K is at the bottom of this list and an average of 189 fps at 1440p.
I need to upgrade.....

AMD & mobo OEMs need to clear stock from the prev gen equipment first. Otherwise A620 may leave it on shelves.

There's no need in 7600 when we talk about budget gaming, either. The difference between the 5600 and 7600 is sensible in CPU bound scenarios, when 4090 is installed. But budget gaming is another story. Sure, we need updated CPU scaling data then.

But A620 with DDR5-4800 will be attractive sooner or later.
I'm looking at a budget media PC upgrade. The current system is running haswell still.

If I'm going to keep it for 8+ years, buying into AM5 would make more sense assuming AMD supports it properly, and grab a ryzen 9000/10000 series years later as a 8 year upgrade to keep it going.

But for such a build I'm not paying $200 for a mobo. That kind of price is reserved for the main machine. Theres a reason the media PC is still haswell.

Amazing how they'll drop prices on their CPU's at the drop of a hat but getting them to do so with their GPU's is like pulling teeth.

Amazing how they'll drop prices on their CPU's at the drop of a hat but getting them to do so with their GPU's is like pulling teeth.
There's two difference sthere:

1) the GPUs are selling. If newegg is any indication more then half the 7900 series listing are out of stock, and the others are in stock with plenty of reviews indicating acceptable sales. No reason to lower prices if consumers keep buying

2) those are also through AIB companies, the CPUs are direct through AMD.

Very much looking forward the 7800X3D vs 7950X3D. How does Windows and games act when one CCX has all the cache vs 2 CCX but only one has all the cache. Does it accidently send games to the wrong CCX? Does Counter Strike run better on the non 3D V-Cache because of the higher clock speeds? If a game wants all of the cores and all of the cache, does the 7950X3D perform any better than the 7800X3D?

These new non-X CPU's are good though, easy recommendation for reasonably priced builds for sure.

I'm looking at a budget media PC upgrade. The current system is running haswell still.

If I'm going to keep it for 8+ years, buying into AM5 would make more sense assuming AMD supports it properly, and grab a ryzen 9000/10000 series years later as a 8 year upgrade to keep it going.

But for such a build I'm not paying $200 for a mobo. That kind of price is reserved for the main machine. Theres a reason the media PC is still haswell.
Probably wait for Ryzen 7400g/7500g with monolithic die (hopefully with RDNA3 iGPU). If there will be an 4c/8t part it will automatically fit into 45W power limit.

Ryzen 7 7700 is what piques my interest the most. Ryzen 5 7600 is 6-core and too hot (95C is crazy regardless of what AMD says). Everything above is throwing money for unnecessary performance gains for me. One thing I don't like about these CPUs is power consumption. You can see quite a big jump from 5600X.

One thing I don't like about these CPUs is power consumption.
7600's heat is not the result of high power consumption. According to Gamer's Nexus's tests, this CPU consumes like half of 13600k at full load (in their own CPU benchmark). And both 7600 and 13600k is at the same level of power efficiency.

https://ibb.co/xGKqTs5

Probably wait for Ryzen 7400g/7500g with monolithic die (hopefully with RDNA3 iGPU). If there will be an 4c/8t part it will automatically fit into 45W power limit.
Depending on the graphical needs, remember that AM5/Ryzen 7K all have a built in iGPU.

Because of lack of sales, I'm not convinced that the "X" parts will rise back toward the original MSRPs. If these new parts outsell the X parts, that still leaves a large amount of stock of the X parts, and if they don't sell that's not good for AMD or any retailers carrying these parts. If AMD wants to sell their stock of X parts, IMO, they are going to have to price them aggressively, and that may also mean these non-X parts will have to come down in price.

Ok, all X-parts are now useless... cool ? if I was a early ryzen 7k adopter, I would be really sad right now ... and with the X3Ds coming, I don't see the use for the X-ones... imo

Give us PERFORMANCE/WATT charts already. Yeah, the high-end Intel looks great... until you take a look at the power consumption chart.

That's EXACTLY why I've been asking for perf/watt charts for like a year now.
energy consumption for nonX Ryzen review.png

As with all perf-per-watt/energy efficiency charts, treat this with caution. The likes of Blender will use as many threads as possible and the runtime of the benchmark is significantly affected by the thread count. And one has to take into account that the thread performance of Intel's P and E cores isn't identical, so it's not like the 13700K is directly comparable to, say, the 7600.
How does Windows and games act when one CCX has all the cache vs 2 CCX but only one has all the cache.
Each CCD can access the L3 cache on the other CCD but going through the IO die, which has a fairly large latency hit (roughly 6 times longer). However, since the L3 cache just stores what's been booted out of the L2 caches in the cores of that CCD, the one with V-cache will suffer fewer cache misses than the other CCD.

However, most games pile all of the main processing into a relatively small number of threads, and they'll probably get run on the priority CCD, which will almost certainly be the one with the V-cache.

I always see people online talk about their productivity work needs for their home PCs. But I would be absolutely shocked if the average person needing computing power uses it for anything other than gaming at home. The productivity stuff they'll do at their employer's, and when WFH became a necessity most employers provided the hardware to their employees at home.

Regular work, browsing, Office, etc. requires little to no computing power. Anything in the last decade works perfectly fine, cheap netbooks work fine.

So again that leaves gaming. And this new hardware is way too expensive for little if any increase for the average gamer. Plus PC hardware competes with consoles for pure gaming loads. Consoles are optimized and have a standard ecosystem in place that's very hard for PCs to compete with--PC uses brute force hardware and still needs proper ports, drivers and OS support to work. That is often an issue, with each dev making excuses blaming each other, clearly not on the same page. The consoles they are forced to be.

And I didn't even mention mobile gaming, which is huge, and which the average person is apparently perfectly fine with. Especially as WFH is ended and many are forced back to commutes and offices.

PC gaming is going to have to drop prices. They clearly have gotten together to price fix up. Fortunately the consoles seem to not be able to do this, so they compete on price against each other. It's also important the consoles are in an actual market. PC components need to decline in price and I think it's inevitable, but it will take another year or two most likely for the bubble to deflate and these companies to accept they will have lower margins and revenues. Samsung is already seeing that for DRAM and smartphones.

Depending on the graphical needs, remember that AM5/Ryzen 7K all have a built in iGPU.
Actually, no evidence, that I have forgotten something like that. Remember to re-read the discussion before insering something into it.

Also, you are out of context, a bit. Dude said, he looks for a budget media PC upgrade in 45W power envelope, and noted to use it for years. Current AM5 CPUs are mainstream 65W+ ones, with powerful general purpose x86 cores. And they all have RDNA2 iGPU.

A successor (with RDNA3 iGPU) to 5400g/5600g could prolly suit a media PC better. That's what I'm talking about. But it's up to @Theinsanegamer own needs.

Actually, no evidence, that I have forgotten something like that. Remember to re-read the discussion before insering something into it.

Also, you are out of context, a bit. Dude said, he looks for a budget media PC upgrade in 45W power envelope, and noted to use it for years. Current AM5 CPUs are mainstream 65W+ ones, with powerful general purpose x86 cores. And they all have RDNA2 iGPU.

A successor (with RDNA3 iGPU) to 5400g/5600g could prolly suit a media PC better. That's what I'm talking about. But it's up to @Theinsanegamer own needs.
Not sure what the hell was poured on your morning coffee, but you need to lay it down for a bit.

I clearly said "depending on graphical needs".

You know, people REALLY aren't doing their homework because, when it comes to motherboards that use DDR5, AMD has Intel completely beat:

AM5 Platform:
AMD R5-7600X = $300
GIGABYTE B650M DS3H - $160
TOTAL = $460

LGA1700 DDR5 Platform:
Intel i5-13600K = $320
ASUS ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI - $200
TOTAL = $520

Because pricing on pcpartpicker can't be trusted for sites like Amazon, I just went to newegg and selected 'In stock", "Sold by Newegg" and selected the least expensive option with a respected brand-name. The B660 was easy because there was just the one.

In this situation, Intel is at a serious disadvantage for new builds because who is going to pay an extra $60 for a dead platform when we know that AM5 will most likely be as long-lived as AM4? The dumb minority, that's who. :laughing:

Last edited:
PC gaming is going to have to drop prices.
Agreed.
They clearly have gotten together to price fix up.
Sucks, but true. I remember reading an article where Dear Leader Jensen bluntly said "We know what AMD and Intel are working on and they know what we are working on", hence explains why somehow they all know how to price their wares.
Sorry, cant find the link of the article, but it was in Toms.
Fortunately the consoles seem to not be able to do this, so they compete on price against each other.
Well, I would say that both might be in in a little bit of price fixing, since they havent cut prices even though the consoles are 2 years old.

But I am willing to say its related to the pandemic and supply chain, but still.
I am currently playing on my Series X mostly because of ease of us. But I found some irritating things that makes me keep a gaming PC around.
They are minors, but still there and some are so stupid that makes no sense. Example, Arkham Knight is stuck at 900p res and locked at 30 fps (could be wrong there) and looks like it will never get a proper update. Worse for Arkham Origins.
Granted, they are old games and maybe not many people go back and replay them, but still leaves me with doubts in putting all my money on games on consoles with stupid limitations like those.

You may want to consider some of the embedded options that are now available.
I used a J5040 that costs about $175 for motherboard and processor.
Just add 8-16GB of cheap DDR4 and storage of your choice and it can go anywhere due to mini-ITX form factor and low power draw. It outputs through DVI and HDMI (4K60) and has hardware acceleration for HEVC, h.264, and VP8/9. I filled the single slot with a four port SATA card and it serves as my media server / backup HTPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back