AMD Ryzen 7 7700X Review: Faster than Core i9?

I think it should have been 7700x3D as it is nearly identical to 12700k in productivity and from gaming perspective almost certainly the 13700k will outperform it

On your 'Cost Per' graphs, I don't believe that the phrase [Higher is Better] is required or even valid, cost is subjective after all... And in this case higher is not better, just more expensive.... :)

The cooler mount decision was so stupid. It's compatible with all coolers, so long as they don't need a backplate. That's basically all coolers except basic low end air and the water coolers that use the amd bracket.

Should have just made them incompatible and not made the IHS so thick so cooling wouldn't be an issue. This is gonna hamstring AM5 for years.

Lol, so now 5800X is best of a bunch in price/perf. And I remember when 5800X was awarded being the worst Zen, value wise.

So, this blue-green-red triad finally figured out the best profit policy - milk those craving for the top-notch and spare price-perfomance for EOL last gen stuff. Forget about great all-rounders from the start for ya.

Lol, so now 5800X is best of a bunch in price/perf. And I remember when 5800X was awarded being the worst Zen, value wise.

So, this blue-green-red triad finally figured out the best profit policy - milk those craving for the top-notch and spare price-perfomance for EOL last gen stuff. Forget about great all-rounders from the start for ya.

Because, at $450, it was terrible. At $280, it's a lot better overall.

Good detailed review, gets a little murky at the end when comes to the recommendation however.

As a platform upgrade this still makes no sense right now, not until Intel lays it's cards on the table, nor when considering the gaming results. Sure it's among the fastest CPUs when paired with a RTX 3090Ti at 1080p, however that test is nearly irrelevant as I don't see gaming at 1080p with a RTX 3090Ti something anyone in their right minds of doing.

I understand the attempt at removing GPU bottlenecks to let the CPU run as fast as you can, but at the end of the day, someone with any last gen CPU shouldn't see these results and think it makes the upgrade worth anything more than bragging rights. After all, running CS:GO at over 500 FPS will make all the difference right?

Then there's the IHS issue, will AMD figure out a way to rectify this with the next generation of CPUs using AM5? Or will this extra thick IHS be standard for the lifespan of socket. As much as AMD wants to claim 95 degrees is the normal operating temperature it just does sit right with me and feels like a cop-out for this need to maintain compatibility with existing heatsinks, or marginal compatibility as it turns out.

Glad to have some competition in the CPU world regardless, looking forward to see how things unfold with Raptor Lake.

Thanks again for another thorough review. That thing is fast - am curious what it‘ll look like with a 4090 or Radeon 7000 series card.

Still, it might be worth waiting for cheaper B650 boards and potentially lower prices after Raptor lake has been released.

Good detailed review, gets a little murky at the end when comes to the recommendation however.

As a platform upgrade this still makes no sense right now, not until Intel lays it's cards on the table, nor when considering the gaming results.

There are two things we already know - you‘ll be able to upgrade to a future Ryzen generation on AM5, both AM4 and S1700 (Raptor Lake) are dead end in that regard.

Being able to do so is a huge advantage. Hopefully AM5 will support at least three gen as imho single gen upgrades are usually worthless.

-> In terms of upgrade, I mean going from first gen to last gen on a given platform, so in this case Zen 4 to Zen 6.

The margin will be more favorable with games/Softwares optimized for Zen4 and when the AM5 kit(Mobo + Ram) becomes cheaper.

One of the great things about Zen4 that didn't get mentioned in the article is the fact that it caused all of the Zen3 CPUs to drop in price dramatically. I was looking at the R7-5700X which was already looking good at $380CAD (especially since the 5800X was $600). For whatever reason, I waited one day to go and buy one and on that day, the price dropped a further $70 to $310 ($225USD). Amazing the difference a day can make, eh? :laughing:

It would seem that in this world of companies trying to fleece us at every turn, we can at least count on AMD slashing prices on their previous line the day that the new line comes out. I should be laughing for several years with my 5700X and my next upgrade might even be the 5800X3D. That will be a LOT of mileage that I'm getting out of the AM4 platform. I'm not exaggerating when I say that AM4 really is the greatest PC platform ever introduced!

The Ryzen 7 7700X looks to be the new king of gaming, at least for now,...

That seems a little premature given that 13th gen is out, or nearly so. If Intel is anywhere near accurate with the 30-40% performance increases with 13th gen, it will easily out perform the 7700 at the same price point (i7-13700K) or deliver similar performance (i5-13600K) for 20% less cost ($400 vs $320). Of course, retail discounting could negate the Intel value prop so we will have to see.

That seems a little premature given that 13th gen is out, or nearly so. If Intel is anywhere near accurate with the 30-40% performance increases with 13th gen, it will easily out perform the 7700 at the same price point (i7-13700K) or deliver similar performance (i5-13600K) for 20% less cost ($400 vs $320). Of course, retail discounting could negate the Intel value prop so we will have to see.
That is a little premature to say since the 13th gen isn't out until the end of next month and there are no benchmarks for it at the moment.

The 7700x is the king right now. If the 13th gen comes out on time next month and beats the 7700x (within reasonable specs), then it will be the new king.

That is a little premature to say since the 13th gen isn't out until the end of next month and there are no benchmarks for it at the moment.

The 7700x is the king right now. If the 13th gen comes out on time next month and beats the 7700x (within reasonable specs), then it will be the new king.
There are Intel benchmarks which were shared at the announcement. As I stated, "If" Intels numbers are accurate. Pretty sure the 7700 won't hold that title very long.

There are two things we already know - you‘ll be able to upgrade to a future Ryzen generation on AM5, both AM4 and S1700 (Raptor Lake) are dead end in that regard.

Being able to do so is a huge advantage. Hopefully AM5 will support at least three gen as imho single gen upgrades are usually worthless.

-> In terms of upgrade, I mean going from first gen to last gen on a given platform, so in this case Zen 4 to Zen 6.
AM5 will only be worth upgrading if AMD can figure out how to get more performance without more power consumption, all while keeping thermals in check. Clearly they've already reached the limit of what AM5 can do thermally and it's barely made it to shelves, a platform that rides a thermal wall for performance is absurd to me and feels like buying into a poorly engineered prototype rushed to market, granted this is AMD's specialty.

AM5 will only be worth upgrading if AMD can figure out how to get more performance without more power consumption, all while keeping thermals in check. Clearly they've already reached the limit of what AM5 can do thermally and it's barely made it to shelves, a platform that rides a thermal wall for performance is absurd to me and feels like buying into a poorly engineered prototype rushed to market, granted this is AMD's specialty.

what are you talking about? AMD has managed to increase performance without raising the wattage ceiling in Zen 3.

the point of AM5 higher TDP capabilities are to push it's CPU to it's limit, in which AMD are confident that it'll still be reasonably within it's limit. granted, we don't know how it'll affect it's CPU on the long term. that being said, theoretically the point is to allow more wattage headroom for more performance gain. you, as the user are still capable of limiting the wattage itself, if you wish to do so. but the system are smart enough to do it just for you.

anyway by your logic, Intel are the best at releasing poorly enginerred products as their mantra for the past few years ever since Skylake release in 2015 are increasing and kepp increasing more performance by increasing clockspeed and thus, increasing wattage or overall power consumption. weird AMD get bad mouth from you when literally the competitor did worse. not that AMD are any better, but it's weird that you're even throwing strawman.

Thank you Steve, as usual a superb and unbiased review.

TLDR version:

7656e8bf0c9ba2e0177b0d38aff08488ba7654b311620f08fd2eb10430b140e2.gif

A great review, as always.

On the first day I ordered a 7700x and Gigabyte x670 Elite mobo. The x670 replaces an aging Gigabyte AB350 mobo. The ability to run one mobo for almost 6 years is a major reason I have stayed with AMD. I don't mind coughing up more money on the mobo, knowing that I'll be able to upgrade to Zen 5 and maybe Zen 6.

The high thermals are due to the new insanely thick IHS. Look up youtube videos of people deliding Zen4 and causing the max temps to drop by 20'C down into the 70s'C. Zen 4 is not really limited by power consumption since it only uses slightly more power than Zen 3 and uses WAY less power than the comparable chips that Intel has. Look at this review's power consumption figures. The 7700X can add +100watts to the max power consumption and still be power-consumption competitive with Intel according to the charts.

Power-p_1100.webp

Will be changing to AMD. Intel shipped a damaged i7 CPU damaged and their customer service was the most abominable I have ever dealt with. After repeated quests for proofs (many mere repetitions), I received the complete MB returned without explanation.

I think it should have been 7700x3D as it is nearly identical to 12700k in productivity and from gaming perspective almost certainly the 13700k will outperform it
There will be a price cut eventually I think of $50 to the current skus when the 3D chips come out and which I think will be priced $100-150 more than their original skus.

Back