AMD Ryzen goes on sale March 2nd for under $500

Scorpus

Staff member

This is the news you've all been waiting for: AMD's new line of Ryzen processors will hit store shelves and online retailers on March 2nd, with the top-of-the-line model costing just $499. You'll be able to reserve your Ryzen CPU starting today at 1pm EST through a pre-order system at more than 180 retailers worldwide.

As several leaks have suggested over the past few weeks, the top-end Ryzen CPU is named the Ryzen 7 1800X. It comes with 8 cores, 16 threads, and a TDP of 95W, with a base clock speed of 3.6 GHz and a maximum boost frequency of 4.0 GHz. The Ryzen 7 1800X is AMD's direct competitor to the eight-core Intel Broadwell-E Core i7-6900K, but at just $499, it's significantly cheaper than Intel's $1,049 offering.

The Ryzen 7 1700X will also be available on March 2nd, but at a lower price point of $399. It comes with the same 8 cores, 16 threads, and 95W TDP of the 1800X, but features reduced clock speeds of 3.4 GHz and 3.8 GHz base and boost respectively. AMD is pitting this chip against the Intel Core i7-6800K, a six-core processor that currently retails for $424.

The final Ryzen processor that launches on March 2nd is the Ryzen 7 1700. For $329 you'll still get 8 cores and 16 threads, but a reduced TDP of 65W along with clock speeds of 3.0 GHz base and 3.7 GHz boost. Here AMD is positioning the 7 1700 as a competitor to the Core i7-7700K, which is currently available for $349.

At every price point, AMD has a winner on their hands. While we can't post our Ryzen review just yet, AMD has shown us extensive benchmarks that we are allowed to share today, comparing all the Ryzen 7 products against Intel's offerings.

In multi-threaded Cinebench R15, the Ryzen 7 1800X outperforms the Core i7-6900K by 9% (a score of 1601 to 1474), while costing less than half the price. The Ryzen 7 1700X outperforms the Core i7-6800K by 39% (1537 to 1108) in the same benchmark, again at a lower price. And the Ryzen 7 1700 smokes the more expensive Core i7-7700K by 46% (1410 to 967) due to its extra cores.

We've also seen the Ryzen 7 1800X outperform the Core i7-6900K in a Handbrake encoding test, finishing several seconds faster. In 4K gaming, the Ryzen 7 1800X delivered essentially the same performance as an Intel system. Oh, and for those wondering about single-threaded performance, AMD showed the same Cinebench single-threaded score of 162 for the Ryzen 7 1800X and the Core i7-6900K.

AMD stated they beat their goal of a 40% IPC improvement over their Excavator architecture with Ryzen. The actual figure is an impressive 52% improvement in IPC, which is enough to make their CPUs competitive and attractive to enthusiast PC builders for the first time in years.

Everything we've seen so far suggests AMD has created an incredibly competitive product with top-end performance at an excellent price point. We can't wait to share more about Ryzen with you when they go on sale next week.

Permalink to story.

Welp I know what I am upgrading to next! 3770k you served me very very well for 5 years but god damn that 1700X is looking like the sweet spot.

If you're using it mostly for gaming, hold off the 1700 until you see the benchmarks... i7 7700K will still score higher than 1700 in games, because it has a higher base clock and games are slightly less optimized for multi-threading than your typical Photoshop or Video Encoding app.

If you're using it mostly for gaming, hold off the 1700 until you see the benchmarks... i7 7700K will still score higher than 1700 in games, because it has a higher base clock and games are slightly less optimized for multi-threading than your typical Photoshop or Video Encoding app.
I know you mean well but I am very aware of what I need for my PC and I dont plan on even upgrading till even the next iteration. I was just pointing out that that 1700x is a damn good deal and would be an upgrade to my 3770k if I decided to do it.

What are the news here? AMD's boat sank from so many leaks weeks ago. What wasn't leaked before.

Does this mean the lower end parts arent launching march 2? thats lame...these staggered rollouts for both cpus and gpus suck.

At every price point, AMD has a winner on their hands. While we can't post our Ryzen review just yet, AMD has shown us extensive benchmarks that we are allowed to share today...
Are those according to AMD's benchmarks or your benchmarks? If those are AMD's benchmarks... I think I'll hold on to my panties for a bit longer.

At every price point, AMD has a winner on their hands. While we can't post our Ryzen review just yet, AMD has shown us extensive benchmarks that we are allowed to share today...
Are those according to AMD's benchmarks or your benchmarks? If those are AMD's benchmarks... I think I'll hold on to my panties for a bit longer.
I think that this quote can be viewed one of two ways:
Everything we've seen so far suggests AMD has created an incredibly competitive product with top-end performance at an excellent price point. We can't wait to share more about Ryzen with you when they go on sale next week.
1. Pessimistic: This is hype for next week's traffic influx

2. Optimistic: Ryzen outperforms Intel CPUs in threaded workloads (AMDs Benchmarks) and is competitive in all other workloads.

I tend to think #2 is closer to the truth. The big reveal will be gaming performance which I think AMD would be touting had they beaten Intel. I do expect with all the great coverage across the board they will be close to the Intel parts.

Finally, jeez. Thumbs up for AMD.

Are those silk?

I think that this quote can be viewed one of two ways:

1. Pessimistic: This is hype for next week's traffic influx

2. Optimistic: Ryzen outperforms Intel CPUs in threaded workloads (AMDs Benchmarks) and is competitive in all other workloads.

I tend to think #2 is closer to the truth. The big reveal will be gaming performance which I think AMD would be touting had they beaten Intel. I do expect with all the great coverage across the board they will be close to the Intel parts.
I would love to see some real competition for Intel, this only means gains for us the users, yet, they've hyped everything they have released (From CPU's to GPU's) and it seems to backfire every freaking time, so I'm going to be very careful before dropping my panties like everyone has done so far.

Are those silk?
Silly silly boy, of course they are.

I would love to see some real competition for Intel, this only means gains for us the users, yet, they've hyped everything they have released (From CPU's to GPU's) and it seems to backfire every freaking time, so I'm going to be very careful before dropping my panties like everyone has done so far.

Silly silly boy, of course they are.
I too am skeptical. With how everyone is speaking of and around the review embargo though I think this will be a very impact launch for AMD.

That being said AMD is still only playing to their strengths in what the are allowing to be reported on - threaded workloads. That's why I think that single-core performance and gaming will be close enough to be competitive (85-90%) especially when pricing is taken into account.

What will be good for everyone is more cores for cheaper as it will hopefully push gaming further since the most used Intel CPUs for gaming have maxed out at 4 physical cores.

No advantages on preordering other than having the first customer badge. I will wait for proper reviews and if this is really something, then AMD is back and kicking.

LTT has the bf1 at 4k demo in his ryzen video, they now know it's a r7 1700 (not the x) vs a 6800k and the 1700 is beating the 6800k by around 5-7 FPS. I don't think we are gonna see the best gaming chips until ryzen 5 launchs.

I hope I am wrong but I love all these comments. We see this every product release from AMD and then I a old dual core Pentium out does it. Like I said I hope I am wrong but all you people need to stop believing what you read about hype.

Really hoping that the reviews are true and backup AMD's claims. I have been red team on the GPU side for a while but would love to build my next system on Ryzen.

Will reviews be out March 2?

The price, you doofus.

You mean the ones that were all over the place? They were even in the weekend tech reading here in Techspot, pretty close. RedGamingTech has been talking about that for a long while. Seriously, nothing surprising here for those who have Google'd AMD Ryzen once in the last two weeks or so.

That, and boats don't sink from leaking.
Hehe, you're probably right [English isn't my main language]; I thought leaks refers to a fluid going in or out of a container through an unintended rift. In my mind both the Titanic and a water bottle with a crack in the bottom have leaks. I even did a definition search (definition 1.1) after your comment and I still think I'm right; if you can further clarify, I'm open to improve my English.

Some Rumours say February 28.

I hope I am wrong but I love all these comments. We see this every product release from AMD and then I a old dual core Pentium out does it. Like I said I hope I am wrong but all you people need to stop believing what you read about hype.

Give examples about those products? We already know great deal about Ryzen architecture and benchmarks seen so far seem to agree with predictions based on architecture.

So Ryzen will not fail.

Is it pronounced the same as Ricin? What a name! LOL.

More like Risen.

That being said AMD is still only playing to their strengths in what the are allowing to be reported on - threaded workloads. That's why I think that single-core performance and gaming will be close enough to be competitive (85-90%) especially when pricing is taken into account.

Not surprising as Ryzen architecture is much more suitable for SMT than Intel's architecture. So Ryzen will be better when using SMT and so better on high threaded workloads (thread count exceed amount of physical cores). Single thread performance is around same level with Intel's Broadwell when Ryzen's bit higher clock speed is taken into account.

As AMD says, first Ryzen's are rushed into market and there's lot to tweak. Ryzen 2 should come early next year and it is what this first Ryzen should have been if not made so quickly.

Really hoping that the reviews are true and backup AMD's claims. I have been red team on the GPU side for a while but would love to build my next system on Ryzen.

Reviews will be out on launch day

Too lazy to google it but can you OC these CPUs? I haven't built an AMD PC since my Phenom II X4 955 which was replaced by my current i5-2500k.

Last edited:
Back