TechSpot

AMD says their chips are ready, willing and stable

By Jos
Feb 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. AMD has launched a new marketing campaign to encourage component channel companies and home users to turn to them as their source of chips. Dubbed "Ready. Willing. And Stable", the new campaign is designed to capitalize on Intel's Cougar Point chipset flaw by letting partners and enthusiasts know they can build their dream PCs today.

Read the whole story

2. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Sounds like Tim Martin should have thought of this a month ago, when Intel was in the weeds. How long does it take to put a short-term blitz campaign together? Talk about the opportunity of a lifetime. How often does something like that come around? Also, while a clever play on words, seems like all this slogan does is reinforce that AMD is Intel's snot-nosed little brother trying to jump up and down to get noticed in the back of the room. Am I right? First rule of public relations: don't even acknowledge that your opponent exists.

My last AMD chip was an Athlon XP 3200, which should say something about at least one "end-user's" perception of the company. I will say their new naming program sounds like it will help, but maybe the guy or gal who came up with that one should be looked at for the Director of Marketing job.

3. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 855   +11

Have to agree with Raswan that this marketing campaign is about a month late. Intel tripped and fell on its face, but did a good job IMO of picking itself back up by this point. If AMD had jumped on this right after Intel tripped and was still trying to pick itself back up I think it would have been much more successful.
    But over all I think its a decent campaign, just don't know if it is in time. (Although I will be keeping my eye on its contest to see if I can win something :D)

4. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 855   +11

Also, anyone else notice on there new site under "Shop Processors" they have 5 different Phenom II X6 Black 1090T list for anywhere from $200 to $400, with not much difference. They have different item numbers, and the most expensive one has a speed of 2000 instead of 3200. Seems kinda odd.

5. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

What a stupid campaign. Really, being a smartass towards Intel is just stupid, especially since Intel has been waxing the floors with you in terms of CPU performance for years now. Besides people don't want "Stable" or "Willing" They want "FAAAAAAAAST" or "EXTREME!!%*$(#!" or "OVERCLOCKABLE PIG OF A PROCESSOR!!!!"

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Bah, none of this makes any difference for either AMD or Intel.

Chip manufacturers like AMD don't rely directly on us (read: enthusiasts) to fill their pockets with gold coins... they rely on big OEMs like HP and Dell. Having super-fast, overclockable chips won't change the game. Having a better product will (faster, cooler, cheaper, more features etc..)

Despite Intel's recent issues, none of these OEMs are going to trust Intel any less.

Everyone knows that Intel isn't trying to peddle bad quality products -- everyone also knows all of the platform validation in the world can't find every single problem. Mistakes have happened, do happen, will happen and it will be life as usual for everyone involved.

7. yRaz

yRaz TS Maniac Posts: 1,037   +159

The enthusiast market is VERY small. when people think of websites like "finallyfast.com" or something, the last thing they are thinking about is a 4ghz quadcore.

EDIT: I didn't see ricks post or I wouldn't have said anything.

8. i think that AMD has a better chance in latin america than in the States...im in mexico..and people want a regular PC...and i agree...to little...too late...better luck next time...

9. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Still you're not seeing that OEM's WANT people, not just enthusiast, to get excited by that very same slogan that they're seeing. They're OEM's. They're not swayed by slogans. They look at whatever will make them the most profit. The slogan is for consumers. So if a consumer is looking for a computer do you think "Stable" and "Willing" is going to excite them and win them over?

ALSO, if enthusiast make up a small portion of the market then why bother making a slogan to combat the new Sandybridge Motherboard Flaw? Mainly enthusiast would be the only ones to know about the flaw.

10. Regenweald

Regenweald TS Rookie Posts: 143

At least now we have a name to put to AMD's global failure at marketing in general. Tim Martin.

11. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

I wouldn't say that, I've seen a few mainstream press talk about Intel's "billion-dollar blunder" several weeks ago. Now how well that translated to the average consumer I couldn't say and would honestly assume if it had any impact it would be rather small considering the average consumer wouldn't be an early adopter.

Like the above posters though I do think AMD is a little late to the party on this one, but I understand what they are trying for.

12. I don't think it makes a difference to the end customers. I just got a new AMD processor a while ago and was telling friends and family about multicore processors and none of them even knew what it was.

13. So, thanks to Intel's big blunder, AMD is only a year and three-quarters behind Intel instead of two years. Sounds like fodder for a marketing campaign to me!

14. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

AMD has always provided good value with its processors. It was even the first to market an affordable quad-core CPU. However, the stark reality for AMD today is that for the same amount of money, an Intel CPU is likely to outperform its AMD counterpart in the majority of benchmarks. Having said that, it is in our best interest as PC users that AMD continues to stay in the game. Otherwise, without any credible competition, Intel would have no impetus to innovate and/or keep its prices at competitive levels.

15. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

Are you involved with purchasing for large companies? Slogans like this do matter. Plus, system builders, and smaller OEM's will find this marketing useful for when they market their builds.

This slogan actually does promote profitability for OEM's and corporations because a flaw can cost money, as well as time, which happens to be money too.

Apple did it with 'it just works.' Most people don't know a hard drive from a CPU and have little knowledge on repairing their PC, be it hardware or software; the last thing they want is to fiddle with their computer, or have something go wrong. "Stability" may not be exciting, but it's a selling point for Joe Average.

Intel's recall made quite a bit of noise in mainstream news. AMD capitalizing on it is smart. However, I think it's too late. If they had this campaign out the door sooner, it'd likely be more effective as the recall was fresher in people's minds.

16. Regenweald

Regenweald TS Rookie Posts: 143

Slogans matter when you are marketing to consumers, not OEMs. Period. When was the last time you saw an AMD ad on cable ? OEM's know what's up, they understand the technology. They don't need to be told that AMD chipsets are stable, they know that already.

Most consumers, the one's purchasing PCs right now, don't know sandy bridge from westmere from bulldozer form nahalem. They don't know that the reason they're getting such great deal on a tower + LCD combo is because stock is being cleared for the new gen. They are buying a Dell or HP. Ready willing and stable is not going to stop OEMs from scrambling to get B3 stepping cougar point chipsets into their motherbards ASAP.

Ready willing and stable my ***, try getting your hands on a stable bobcat motherboard. Can't, 1 million sold and that's OEM only, they can't even meet market demand, far less market a product worth a damn. What AMD needs is Apple's marketing team.

17. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,970   +739

+1
    OEM's are interested in one thing only- the bottom line. OEM's also have a tendency to provide their own slogans and marketing-speak...muddying the message generally doesn't aid in imprinting on the public perception, unless someone out there thinks "Ready, willing and stable NOW with Vision and Turbo Core Dynamic Acceleration" is an incisive catch-phrase.

18. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

Didn't the slogan, "Intel Inside," come from Intel and was used by OEMs? I'm not disputing the timing, worthiness or incisiveness of the phrases themselves but only that Intel did it before AMD.

19. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,970   +739

@Mailpup
    Yes.
    It might be argueable that Intel as a brand (along with IBM) are one of the few that are bigger than the OEM's they cater to (hence using a non-absolute term)
    And AMD ? ...Well, not so much. And when your brand isn't strong/consistant (i.e.a viable marketing asset)-the OEM's will invariably imbue the product with their own idea of continuity
    I believe your post pretty much reinforces what I was trying to get across to a degree- in that "Intel inside" has been Intel's only marketing slogan (except for the short lived "Leap Ahead" I believe), whereas a quick perusal of my (albeit) failing memory has AMD down for:
    Smarter Choice
    The Future is Fusion
    Vision
    Better By Design
    and the ever (un)popular...Inspire Me. Surprise Me. AMD Me.
    There are probably others. Would you wager that any are higher in the public perception than "Invent" (HP) , "The Difference is Dell", "Think" (IBM) and "Think Different" (Apple) ?

20. Appzalien

Appzalien TS Rookie Posts: 96

I'm so sick of these Twitter and Facebook contests. There's no way in hell I'm going to sign up for an account on a site thats for for *****s and ego maniacs to enter their contest. Twitter and Facebook are the cespools of the internet, and you will never find me there for any reason, let alone a contest. Shame on you AMD for falling into the cespool. It makes you stinky.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.