TechSpot

AMD to start bundling free games with APUs later this month

By Matthew
Apr 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. AMD is reportedly prepared to take its "Never Settle" promotion to the next step by extending it to other product lines. According to Hardware Luxx, shoppers who opt for one of the company's APUs will be rewarded with free game...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,080   +920

They are probably bundling SimCity just because EA offered them money they need... Also it isnt that graphically demanding.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

Or maybe they are so desperate to fill the projected quota, so they don't go bust completely... Their APU-s are already dirt-cheap, any cheaper and we start seeing games sold bundles with AMD APU-s :)

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

I picked up a 7970 and cried when I got Crysis instead of Tomb Raider. :(

5. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 639   +127

I hope those were tears of joy that you weren't lumbered with a game that so badly wanted to be an oestrogenized Rambo that it's just hilarious.

Still, can we request to have these APUs bundled with something a little less caustic and bug riddled, like Ebola perhaps?

6. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

I'm with your, dude, it's like buying a smoke bundled with tampons, and you wanted it bundled with an eggnog. It's so unfair!

JC713 and davislane1 like this.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,393   +1,588

You guys are killing me!! LMAO

8. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

Wow, nice move by amd.
    if only intel's ivy bridge line is also bundled with plants vs zombies. :)

9. JC713

Intel is so rich already they can care less lol

10. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 532   +88

I think you mean they can't care less, because if they can care less than that means they do care at least a little bit.

This is a good move from AMD. While I certainly would be more interested in buying a real graphics card instead of something that's integrated, this could entice some people to buy.

11. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 761   +250

Ha! Guess I'm not the only one that's annoyed by the misuse of that phrase! Also agree completely about integrated vs discrete. Also wish they would include actual install media for the game..those of us without broadband *need* this.

misor likes this.

12. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

Holy crap, other people acknowledge the incorrectness of "...could care less" as opposed to "couldn't care less" in the way its often used! thats fantastic!
    honestly, this is pretty awesome...if I needed a really budget PC, I wouldnt hesitate buying an APU that came with games.

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,420   +821

Bah! AMD should either reduce the prices of those chips to the value of the game or include a coupon for a game of the buyers choice. Bundling an EA abortion is insulting at best.

14. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +108

Bundling games with APU's is a terrific idea, makes people realize they can play the bundled game and more using just the APU. They should have thought of it earlier.

15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,420   +821

I agree in part but they should bundle the choice of a few games and have the customer pick one. Having only one game (an EA game at that) that I really doesn't interest me certainly wouldn't incentivise me.

16. ShadowDeath

ShadowDeath TS Rookie Posts: 51

How else is EA going to push that garbage? Whatever APU AMD bundles SimCity with will be the worst selling APU of all time probably.

17. JC713

No, this is a selling point. People see it as 60 bucks free. They can sell it online for a few bucks and make a little profit lol. The game is still 60 bucks now. Also APUs are one of AMDs biggest sellers.

18. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

The problem is that if people choose the most demanding games and then go home to play on their 1066MHz RAM (or whatever the slowest stock speed for AMD is) and APU.. then realise that it runs like garbage... This is bad rep for AMD.

19. JC713

Steve@Julio Franco I really wanna see techspot test how Haswell and Richland GPUs perform with 1333MHz memory compared to 1600 MHz.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.