TechSpot

AMD's Piledriver-based chips to feature energy-recycling tech

By Jos
Feb 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. AMD is working hard on a successor to the Bulldozer core that arrived in the last quarter of 2011 with its FX desktop CPU lineup. Dubbed "Piledriver", little details areā€¦

Read the whole story

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,060   +76

Such feature will hold much more value in SoCs, no matter which manufacturer is building them. Until piledriver chips arrive / benchmarks show up I would rather not comment on AMD's future.

3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

I completely agree with everything there. Sounds great, but after the Bulldozer fiasco, we've learned that sounding great doesn't mean you'll ever achieve greatness... I'm another on the sidelines quietly rooting for AMD, but not expecting a home run. Better to be pleasantly surprised than extremely disappointed.

4. Bulldozer fiasco???Should be joking;)

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,915   +718

I agree.
    2+ years late to market, outperformed by smaller die, slower clockspeed and cheaper CPU's with half the cores, whilst consuming more power and released alongside underdone motherboard BIOS's...all the while hyping its performance as an Intel killer (that in reality barely beats their own K10), and blaming Microsoft even though Bulldozer predates Windows 7 ...mmmmm

You're right- fiasco doesn't come close.

6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Heh, true... How about Bulldozer Apocalypse?

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +388

Theres no reason for anyone to want an intel (laptop) than a liano/trinity.

8. i feel that amd bulldozer process has been treated with bit unfair. Because we doesn't have real resource to fully test the amd AMD FX-8150 8-Core processor. If we have software which can fully utilize the 8 core processor then amd would be outperforming all intel processor. I think amd is very close to intel, on some day it will sure answer all critics and will dominate intel.

9. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,060   +76

Unfortunately at this point in time, it seems a very distant probability (if it is one).

10. Take BOINC and Folding for example. Both use however many core the CPU has. Results were that FX-81xx is slower than 2500K clock to clock. Why? While Bulldozer has 8 integer cores, it only has 4 floating point unit. When we look at 8 cores, we are talking about high performance computation, which floating point operation matter the most. Combine that with lower IPC, 2500K outperforms FX-81xx. Performance per watt is also inferior to 2500K, and I expect this holds true for PD as well, even with this new resonant clock.

AMD pretty much is after the mainstream market at this point. They are focusing on mainstream/mobile market, not performance segment.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.