AMD's Radeon RX 6000-series price is reportedly set to increase by 10%

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Are you tired of graphics cards being so expensive? Unfortunately for fans of AMD’s latest products, it looks as if the Radeon RX 6000 series could soon become even costlier after the company increased the price of its GPUs by 10% for board partners, according to a new report.

VideoCardz writes that news of the price increase was unveiled on the Board Channels forums. It states that the 10% rise translates to a $20 to $40 jump in cost for board partners. It will be implemented in the next GPU shipment, and consumers could see the effects on retail units as soon as one or two weeks later.

It’s worth noting that prices were always expected to go up as a result of increased demand stemming from the holiday season. And given how high they are already, end-users might not even see the effects of AMD's extra 10% charge.

AMD’s price hike is being blamed on TSMC increasing its costs, though no other AMD products using the same 7nm node, such as the Ryzen 5000 series, appear affected—yet.

The latest report on the state of the graphics card market shows that both AMD’s and Nvidia’s latest RDNA 2/Ampere series are selling for around double the MSRP a year after their initial release. Although the chart below shows the Radeon RX 6000 series average price falling from 101% above MSRP to 90%, it’s because retailers (in Germany and Austria) have received shipments of non-XT RX 6800 cards, lowering the average price of the whole line.

Even the second-hand market is suffering. Our own examination of cards on eBay show the Radeon RX 6000 cards increasing in price by 9% between October and November, while the RTX 3000 line was up 6% during the same period. Older generations on the auction site are also getting pricier: the Nvidia 20 series (+6%), 16 series (+5%), and 10 series (+7%), and AMD’s Radeon 5000 (9%) series all got more expensive over the last month.

The component shortage and resulting graphics card crisis has also seen some hardware companies selling pre-built gaming PCs without graphics cards, including this one from NZXT, which uses an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G APU.

Permalink to story.

The 2nd hand market is not bad depending on your country if you know where to buy. Ebay is the last place I would ever go for a GPU. I paid $1500 for a 6800XT brand new sealed in box last month then sold my rx 580 for $500 to a miner. So paid $1000 at the end of the day.

The retail market right now is a total waste of time, a 6700XT cost $1000.

Not happy with having the worst product on a generation where *nobody* got to buy the products at all AMD has to now make the one thing that was universally criticized, the MSRP, even worst now?

Your distributors and retailers are charging 150% premium on top of the MSRP: If you really wanted to soften the blow from TSMC how about you go ask THEM for f*!@ing money Lisa and not reward their anti consumer behavior that's ruining the reputation of your company by giving them another excuse to reach maybe even 200% premium on MSRP?

General comment: If the price of one component (GPU in this case) increases by 10%, it does not mean that the complete product‘s price (entire graphics card including pcb, cooling solution, memory, packaging…) has to change by the same percentage.

If the GPU cost represents e.g. 50% of a GPU‘s total cost, price should go up by 5%.

Either way, not buying at these crazy prices, regardless if it‘s nVidia or AMD, so a price increase doesn‘t really matter. No way I‘ll get a new RX 6600 for €569 or a 3060 for €739.

Not happy with having the worst product on a generation where *nobody* got to buy the products at all AMD has to now make the one thing that was universally criticized, the MSRP, even worst now?

Your distributors and retailers are charging 150% premium on top of the MSRP: If you really wanted to soften the blow from TSMC how about you go ask THEM for f*!@ing money Lisa and not reward their anti consumer behavior that's ruining the reputation of your company by giving them another excuse to reach maybe even 200% premium on MSRP?
Where‘s the problem ? Just buy a cheaper competing product from the market leader.

See, problem solved.

10% or 1000% no difference to me.

If my current GPU was to die for whatever reason I would probably look at the used market and buy something older that would entertain me until the BS dials down.

Where‘s the problem ? Just buy a cheaper competing product from the market leader.

See, problem solved.
Problem with AMD is beyond the "supply & demand" mechanics you're quoting: Yes the demand is so high and their supply is so constrained they won't meet it the dishonesty is not them raising base price.

The dishonesty as I alluded to and constantly mention, is the business practices from their partners AMD (And Nvidia) are well aware of as we've seen AIBs like MSI and distributors selling pallets of cards directly to miners and scalpers.

You can't pretend like you're hurting for money and the only solution is to raise the base price when you know stuff like this goes on right under your nose and not only do you continue to supply cards to that distributor or AIB but now you explicitly allow them to speculate with the price even more.

Sorry but until that practice is actually stopped dead on it's tracks, no matter the consequences (Yes: That means stop supplying the big companies like MSI, Gigabyte, etc. with chips to produce cards) then you can't cry about your manufacturing problems while you're making money by the damn truckload at the same time along with everybody else on the distribution chain: AMD can make less money and if that's not acceptable, control your partners, by force if necessary removing them from the business completely if needed.

So AMD is secretly just like Intel and Nvidia. They are out to screw over their customers with unjustified price increases when ever they think they can get away with it. When a principled and honest CPU and GPU company finally shows up, please let us know so we can support them and put these price gouging hypocrites out of business!

The 2nd hand market is not bad depending on your country if you know where to buy. Ebay is the last place I would ever go for a GPU. I paid $1500 for a 6800XT brand new sealed in box last month then sold my rx 580 for $500 to a miner. So paid $1000 at the end of the day.

The retail market right now is a total waste of time, a 6700XT cost $1000.
My man, the lunatics here are asking $260 for a used GTX 750 Ti...

Doesn't matter if all of you won't buy there's plenty of whales who WILL buy irrespective of the price which is one of the reason why we have these prices persisting and increasing.

GTX 980Ti cards are still going out on ebay at $350-400 a pop - they're coming up on 6.5 years old now.

I sold off my two 980Ti cards to fellow members of TPU at a helluva deal, compared to what they've been selling for on ebay over the past 12+ months.
The one I gamed on the most had random fan spin ups, performance wasn't hindered, but the fan spin ups were random - sold that one for $200.
The other one that wasn't used much and had no known issues - sold that one for $250.

I could have easily asked $300 and $350, maybe a bit more, but I wanted folks that had a need for them (hopefully had a gaming need for them) to get something still decent at 1080p gaming and wasn't going to break the bank for them.

980Ti cards were very powerful cards when they launched and they've held their own for 1080p gaming for sometime. They do draw a lot of power, so they're not really ideal for mining with. So if someone were to buy them and went to mine with them, hopefully it's not a fruitful venture for them if that was the case.

As for the AMD current gen - these cards are stupidly overpriced at retailers, take Micro Center pricing for example:
6600XT going for $500+ (MSRP $379)
6700XT going for $850+ (MSRP $479)
6800 going for $1100+ (MSRP $579)
6800XT going for $1300+ (MSRP $649)
6900XT going for $1800+ (MSRP $999)

I'd hate to see these prices go even higher, it'll just be even more reason why folks aren't buying up AMD as fast as Nvidia.

At Micro Center you're hard pressed to find the 6600XT, 6800 and 6800XT. I don't know if it's because of the scarcity of them or because they're better priced for the performance they give over the 6700XT and 6900XT and folks just snatch them up when they appear?

You can generally find stock of the 6700XT and 6900XT, reason is because almost one wants to spend almost a grand (after taxes) on a 6700XT when the 3060Ti can be hundreds of dollars less and performs about the same or when a RTX 3070 performs a bit better and can be found for a slightly lower cost at retailers (if you're lucky enough to grab one). The 6700XT is just a stupidly priced card right now that doesn't make sense, which has to be why they're one of the easier cards to come by at Micro Center.

It's kind of the same story for the 6900XT - why pay such a higher premium price when a 6800XT gives almost the same performance and sells for hundreds of dollars less?

Problem with AMD is beyond the "supply & demand" mechanics you're quoting: Yes the demand is so high and their supply is so constrained they won't meet it the dishonesty is not them raising base price.

The dishonesty as I alluded to and constantly mention, is the business practices from their partners AMD (And Nvidia) are well aware of as we've seen AIBs like MSI and distributors selling pallets of cards directly to miners and scalpers.

You can't pretend like you're hurting for money and the only solution is to raise the base price when you know stuff like this goes on right under your nose and not only do you continue to supply cards to that distributor or AIB but now you explicitly allow them to speculate with the price even more.

Sorry but until that practice is actually stopped dead on it's tracks, no matter the consequences (Yes: That means stop supplying the big companies like MSI, Gigabyte, etc. with chips to produce cards) then you can't cry about your manufacturing problems while you're making money by the damn truckload at the same time along with everybody else on the distribution chain: AMD can make less money and if that's not acceptable, control your partners, by force if necessary removing them from the business completely if needed.
Again, as you are exclusively blaming AMD here, simply go ahead and buy that cheaper nVidia based GPU. It seems you believe they have their partners and distributors under control (with 80%+ dGPU market share that should be easy), charge bottom basement prices and set realistic msrp.

I‘m not buying from either of the two (or to be more precise from their AIB) as long as prices are what they are.

I admit - when I paid $800 in Feb for my 6800 I almost cried. Typically, I spend $150-300 on a video card, $800 is outrageous for a $500 card. Today, I'm thanking myself and thinking it was a smart move. That is just SAD!

Again, as you are exclusively blaming AMD here, simply go ahead and buy that cheaper nVidia based GPU. It seems you believe they have their partners and distributors under control (with 80%+ dGPU market share that should be easy), charge bottom basement prices and set realistic msrp.

I‘m not buying from either of the two (or to be more precise from their AIB) as long as prices are what they are.
I specifically mentioned Nvidia as well and most regulars on the site know that I've been just as critical of Nvidia in the past, Do I really have to mention "And Nvidia too" 10 more times on each post? These assumptions about things I just did not say are ridiculous and unproductive not to mention in extremely bad faith so I'm not continuing.

So AMD is secretly just like Intel and Nvidia. They are out to screw over their customers with unjustified price increases when ever they think they can get away with it. When a principled and honest CPU and GPU company finally shows up, please let us know so we can support them and put these price gouging hypocrites out of business!
I find this comment funny almost as if these are not businesses out to make a profit. "principled honest CPU and GPU company" lol what planet are you on?

At the end of the day these publicly traded companies are there for profit and to get a return for their share holders. And even if you and 500 of your friends stopped buying GPU's there are thousands of other people that will buy.

Nobody likes the current situation but lets be real here.

Apparently my local Microcenter still has Nvidia gpus from their truck this morning.

3060 and 3060ti are left. Last 3080 and 3090 went to the two guys infront of the line I stood in. Because it's so busy in the store, I thought folks were waiting in line for help in the DIY department so I stood in line. A worker approached me when I got to the front and said 3060 and 3060Ti cards are only left.

So, I'm snagging a 3060ti for $500 while I only stopped by to grab a 10700k.

Not a bad day after all. Can fully complete the kid's gaming build for Christmas now.

Last edited:
Apparently my local Microcenter still has Nvidia gpus from their truck this morning.

3060 and 3060ti are left. Last 3080 and 3090 went to the two guys infront of the line I stood in. Because it's so busy in the store, I thought folks were waiting in line for help in the DIY department so I stood in line. A worker approached me when I got to the front and said 3060 and 3060Ti cards are only left.

So, I'm snagging a 3060ti for $500 while I only stopped by to grab a 10700k.

Not a bad day after all. Can fully complete the kid's gaming build for Christmas now.
Well done!

Back