Analyst: Intel cuts processor prices by up to 50%

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Intel has drastically lowered prices on its processors and chipsets, according to industry analyst Bobby Burleson. Hoping to spark consumer interest and clear inventory, Chipzilla has reportedly discounted Core i3, i5, i7 and Atom CPUs by 50% along with a 15% reduction on certain chipsets.

The move follows lower-than-expected sales of microprocessors due to economic weakness in Europe and China, in addition to news of Apple's (ARM-powered) iPad dipping into notebook sales. It isn't clear whether there is any correlation between the reductions and those reports.

Burleson believes the bargain chips will mostly cause system builders to stock up on parts. However, the cuts will also boost notebook sales in the short-term, as Acer, Lenovo and HP have lowered notebook prices. Nonetheless, the analyst expects demand to slow in the fourth quarter as consumers await the arrival of Intel's next-generation Sandy Bridge products.

When or if the savings will trickle down to the desktop retail space isn't mentioned. Intel said it wouldn't comment on any pricing beyond its public 1KU price list posted on intc.com.

Permalink to story.

Nice! Competition is a ***** isn't it Intel?! You've got AMD pounding away at your door from one end of the room and then you have ARM pounding on the otherside. This can mean only good things for consumers.

Intel processors are VERY expensive in comparison with AMD. Of course intel processors are killers in performance but you only notice that if you are onto games..... or mining :)

Sure would like to see this reduction show up on Newegg today - not that I could afford an upgrade right now. It would just be nice to see.

Guest said:
Intel processors are VERY expensive in comparison with AMD. Of course intel processors are killers in performance but you only notice that if you are onto games..... or mining :)

Untrue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103894

the 750 smears the 965 in almost everything, and it isn't more expensive at all. Right now intel is simply the better option. The 750 also tends to overclock better than the phenom II. Plus the 750 has a lower TDP. If you compare two cpu's in the same price range the intel will usually come out on top. The only reason the i7s cost so much is because they're blistering fast and amd has no cpu to compete with them.

Princeton, if you are comparing the i750 to the 965 you should fix your link. You linked to the AMD Phenom II X4 970. The 965 is lower in price by about $27 compared to the i750 (as of today, at least). If you intended to compare the i750 to the 970, then you still need to correct the narrative.

TomSEA, let us know when you buy your next processor or even graphics card so we will know when to expect the price to go down soon afterward. :)

mailpup said:
Princeton, if you are comparing the i750 to the 965 you should fix your link. You linked to the AMD Phenom II X4 970. The 965 is lower in price by about $27 compared to the i750 (as of today, at least). If you intended to compare the i750 to the 970, then you still need to correct the narrative.

TomSEA, let us know when you buy your next processor or even graphics card so we will know when to expect the price to go down soon afterward. :)

I've seen benchmarks for the 965 and 970. The 750 beats both. So no I don't need to correct it, the 750 is better than the amd cpu in the price range.

so, when are the old LGA 775 parts gonna drop off the earth in prices? They are so ridiculously expensive in terms of price/performance it is ludicrous. A 50% drop in price for THOSE would put them in the same general price range (or lower) as some of their other parts as well as AMDs similar parts, and in a perfect world would spur a short term increase in incremental upgrades, hopefully helping intel and stores clear some of that inventory.

Something fishy about this story.
Nowhere on the net is reporting these "price cuts" other than linking to the original analyst's claim. Intel's price list has not changed. As far as I am aware, the next Intel CPU price cuts aren't due until 17th October.

I use AMD for gaming and I don't notice any performance difference to Intel.

Probably cause I got a powerful GPU - most games rely on that.

Buldozer coming out. Da da da da. Hehe, Intel has a big brown thing in his pants. :D

I really prefer reading official prices rather than a general statement from an analyst.

This is perfect. I was going to buy a i5 750 and I don't know what stopped me, now I'm definitely sellimg my PC and buying it! Just hope that prices fall in a few months!

dividebyzero said:
Something fishy about this story.
Nowhere on the net is reporting these "price cuts" other than linking to the original analyst's claim. Intel's price list has not changed. As far as I am aware, the next Intel CPU price cuts aren't due until 17th October.

Yea, I haven't seen any of this supposed "50%" price cuts short of in store, vendor specific deals on certain processors.

Hmm ....... may be the source is under 'dilation' effect, hence, it hasn't come to past ... for the rest of us.

yup, I'm waiting for Sandy Bridge. I'm waiting to build my "future proof" machine. I will probably wait until early 2012 when USB 3.0 becomes standard, Win 8 is out, Light Peak is here and stable, the new LGA2011 MoBo's are here, and SSD's are reasonably priced. I tend to run my computers into the ground (graphics designer) for at least 4 years. I love seeing the new tech come out and prices drop like flies!

Back