Analyst Michael Pachter says PC gamers are like arrogant racists

midian182

Staff member

Gaming industry analyst and managing director of Wedbush Securities, Michael Pachter, has never been one to shy away from offering the occasional controversial opinion, but his latest statements are pretty astounding, even by his standards.

Speaking during an interview with the Daily Star, Pachter said: “I think PC Gamers are like racists; they only like their own kind and they have no interest in venturing out and mixing with other races. PC gamers are arrogant twits who are convinced what they do is better than what anybody else can possibly do.”

An enlighting statement from Pachter. PC gamers are, of course, unique when it comes to feverish devotion to one's chosen platform; such a thing has never happened in the history of consoles or other computers, no sir. Comparing PC owners to racists certainly seems rational.

Pachter added more words of wisdom when discussing the upcoming PlayStation 4 Pro. “ If you were an Xbox owner and you’ve always wondered what it’s like to be a PlayStation owner, this is a great opportunity. And I think if you’re not a [next-gen] console owner at all – which would include a subset of PC users – this is the one you would buy. This [PS4 Pro] is the obvious choice.”

The analyst’s comments aren’t limited to calling PC gamers arrogant, racist twits, he also pointed out the slightly obvious fact that Nintendo’s NX won’t sell a lot of units if it turns out to be a $400 handheld device. Speaking to Gaming Blot, he said: “If it’s a console and costs $199, it will sell extremely well; if it’s a handheld and costs $399, it’s dead in the water."

The “PC Master Race” meme, which Pachter is doubtlessly using as the basis of his claims, has been around since 2008. It is nearly always used as a tongue-in-cheek term; comparing it to something as extreme as racism is pretty incredible for a veteran industry analyst. And, as he alludes to himself, a large number of PC gamers own at least one console, so it’s not as if we hate “mixing with other races,” that would just be racist.

Permalink to story.

"PC gamers are arrogant twits who are convinced what they do is better than what anybody else can possibly do.”

...ever play WOW? ... dude is spot on

"PC gamers are arrogant twits who are convinced what they do is better than what anybody else can possibly do.”

...ever play WOW? ... dude is spot on
I bet he was one of those players in WoW who started life on a PvP server and got killed repeatedly in a level 1 zone. Would explain the salt.

Well... Yeah, pretty much. I will admit it. The "PC Master Racer" also happens to be a considerably more technically savvy group, who enjoy dedicating their knowledge, experience, patience, and monetary resources to creating a powerful gaming system. Console gamers tend to be less technically savvy and don't want to spend a lot of time and money on something they may simply not have the time or patience to enjoy.

Racists just isn't a good word though, our judgements are based on technical comparisons, not color or stereotype-based observations.

Its not just PC users, its any brand-fan console gamer too.

He just sounds like a PS fanboy to me but hey that would be a bit too ironic wouldnt it.

Had a good laugh at the headline. Otherwise, as a [respectable] Gamer I can see why he'd think this...

So, let me get this straight...

An analyst, who has evidently never heard of fanboyism or the Console Wars, is calling PC gamers "racist", in a day and age where being called racist means nothing to anyone, because they think they have better hardware (which they do) that is more capable than consoles (which it is)?

I'll tell you what. This Patcher guy can go find an oven, turn the heat up, and step into the kitchen and bake some cookies, because his analysis is horrible.

So he's happy to denigrate and belittle an entire group of people simply because they have one simple attribute in common. I'm sure we have a word for that...

Lmao, spot on chap!

You must be a fellow PC 1337 to be able to spot such fallacy in a typical console user's mind ;) hehe.

"The “PC Master Race” meme, which Pachter is doubtlessly using as the basis of his claims, has been around since 2008. It is nearly always used as a tongue-in-cheek term; comparing it to something as extreme as racism is pretty incredible for a veteran industry analyst. "

Uh, what?

'Master Race' is racism, or at least facism. It's a term from the 1930s and 1940s strongly associated with Nazism and I've always thought it's use was in extremely bad taste.

He's got the look like he's just found out it. Dude, PC gamers invented racism, didn't you know?

"PC gamers are arrogant twits who are convinced what they do is better than what anybody else can possibly do"

Complete and utter nonsense! Now on a different topic, if anyone is looking on what parts to choose for their PC build please check out my specs. If you choose one peace of hardware that does not match mine (or at least the exact same brand) then your PC build is garbage, throw it away and start all over!

I kind of feel that same way about many Apple fan boys. Especially when they say things like, "People who don't like Apple are jealous because they can't afford it." Like here you have Apple selling 4 year old hardware a premium price, and it makes them sound so dumb. And it also tells you the mentality of these people. They can't debate about technology based on performance of a hardware, instead it's all about status and desperately trying to show strangers that they are awesome, because they're so convinced that their Apple logo is the the same as a very beautiful girl. They project their values on to others.

What's ironic is I believe he is Jewish if search results were enough to go on. I would've thought he'd be more conscientious about grouping people together and labeling them...

Anyways, someone probably really offended him and he just has no self-control over his temper/public venting. I mean, twits aren't specific to the PC community--Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Canon, etc. and many more all have them as followers. Doesn't take a genius to know this.

Who is this guy and why does anyone care what he says?
only reason I care is because I wonder how a guy like this gets to a position of responsibility where he is "Gaming industry analyst and managing director of Wedbush Securities".
Unless Wedbush Securities is run out of his bedroom and his Gaming Analysis is published only in the National Enquirer it confirms my fears for this world

There's nothing wrong with being controversial but don't aim your insults at specific groups... unless they're aimed at iSheep, they wouldn't understand them anyway.

Headline is meant to create sensationalism. As a gaming analyst, he has been on a death spiral for years, unable to keep up with the level of true gamers. He's stuck in the age of Hyperkin RetroN 3. As a recommendation, he needs to stop using his photo for press releases from 20 years ago.

Who is this guy and why does anyone care what he says?
only reason I care is because I wonder how a guy like this gets to a position of responsibility where he is "Gaming industry analyst and managing director of Wedbush Securities".
Unless Wedbush Securities is run out of his bedroom and his Gaming Analysis is published only in the National Enquirer it confirms my fears for this world

I'll answer your question. I use to have to work with pachter at wedbush. My job was great but working with him was miserable. So many employees have for years question how in the world he got a position as a gaming analyst as before that he use to cover apparel companies. I can't go into specifics as to how he bullied his way to that job but I can say the only reason he has been able to sustain his position is that he is really good at hiring interns and junior analysts that do his job for him. He keeps these kids in a glass room where they play video games all day and then write reports for him. Pachter is an attention wh*** and loves giving interviews and having his photo taken, he is exceptionally arrogant. The secret to his longevity at wedbush is that he keeps his subordinates only for a few years then he fires them. Wedbush makes any employee sign a lengthy non-disclosure when you leave. I got very lucky by basically resigning and walking out during the lunch hour and leaving my security badge with the lobby guard hence, I didn't have to sign anything.

Back