Analyze bluescreen please

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyckyj

Hi,
Computer is an Acer Travemate 7720 that is still under warranty. It mostly crashes when it is in firefox or internet explorer although lately it will sometimes do it randomly. It's gotten so bad that it crashes now at least once a day. I've done an Acer System Restore that restores it to factory defaults and a few hardware tests but I can't find anything wrong with it. I've attached some of my mini dump files for you to analyze.
Thanks a lot!

I'm having th same problems on my sony vaio, win xp mce 3.4 gigahertz. Mine crashes every 15 minutes hahaha. I just yanked the old ram out and threw new ram in. It's been a long day as I've been having multiple issues this week as my HD SMART told me the disk was going bad soon, my power supply died yesterday, and now all the blue screens of satanic death. Seems like everything is crapping out on me at the same time haha. I'm formatting my new HDD (without the old ram installed) and no blue screens yet. I've ben reading about these blue screen errors all day. Seems like they are caused by a corrupt registry, drivers, or in my case the ram. If it's under warranty, send it back or try try repairing windows via the cd. I got another blue screen while trying to do that also...haha

Note of the 18 Minidumps, I have decided to only check Novembers and 1 of October's Minidumps:

Inside the 4 Minidumps:
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 81e536c8, 9d531724, 0}
Probably caused by : fileinfo.sys

BugCheck 4E, {8d, 5437f, 410400, a74ea031}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

BugCheck 50, {805e1d90, 0, 81eedcfe, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe

BugCheck 4E, {8d, 4ef15, 51d700, c0094c79}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

My first choice would be to run Memtest on your Ram

is it a pc or a laptop? I've gotten the memory corruption twice in last 4 hours? How much ram do you have?

Hmmm, when all else fails headbutt the laptop? lol I would just send it back to the company for warranty issues? Have you checked google or another search engine to see if others are having the same problems? Could be a recall issue

It doesn't seem like anyone else is having the same problem. I'll try running memtest and report back on what happens.

Usually firefox or internet explorer (or anything that uses the internet) are running when it crashes.
Right now I'm running norton 360 for antivirus but I used to run avg free. (I started to get bluescreen when it was running avg)
I haven't updated my drivers but I don't think there is anything that needs to be updated since I got the computer with vista.
I have completed all windows updates.

I'd definately say update all your drivers (link supplied above)
But Norton 360 may in fact be the real issue here

Both Norton and AVG8 are both high on system resource
If you are not that attached to Norton I'd recommend un-installing it fully (this can take a couple of restarts, as Norton can be quite embedded into a system)
Norton also offers a removal tool, which would be good to use once it's un-installed
Norton 360 Removal tool -> ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

You can then try Free Antivirus like Avast or Avira

All try updating my drivers but I really don't think that norton 360 is the problem. I know it hogs system resources but I'm currently running it on another computer that has half the amount of ram and an old 1.3 ghz p4 processor and it's doing just fine. I didn't think that AVG Free was high on system resources though. I thought it was just the paid versions.

No the free version of AVG8 is also demanding
But again I strongly advise to remove Norton, and I have seen this issue, well hundreds of times (possibly thousands)

Try and update the BIOS,
Acer (among others) have had compability issues with RAM memory lately. (Mostly on laptops) A memtest will show up fine and say the memories are ok,
and they are, but the computer just dont like them.
This in perticular if you have memory from 2 diffrent manufacturers, diffrent sizes or diffrent speeds

EDIT: Looked a Acers website and there have been alot of BIOS updates on this model, so could be that a bIOS update will fix your problem, most current version is v1.35

Flash BIOS v1.32

Operating System
Windows Vista
Download File
HFB132US.zip
File Size: 2299.099 KB

Online Instructions:
Unzip the files
Run CLB-XXX.exe to flash the BIOS

Date
05-06-08

Acer's links (ie I proided on #10) tend to go to their main page only, annoyingly.
But this current link to the Bios update is direct

Acer's European website (which is much better than the Canadian website) has bios v1.35 while the Canadian website has v1.32. Which one should I download?

Sorry for the delay
It's very difficult to navigate around those Acer sites!

The euro one is certainly version v1.35
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_7720.html

I would recommend doing that one, for your OS version
Normally though it's best to upgrade your Bios from a bootup floppy, as in Windows with Antiirus and Firewall and other live protecting softwares can cause the Bios update to fail

You may need to contact Acer for further guidance, as it can be a dangerous area if unsure

There is no floppy in that model if i remember correctly.
But just make sure to turn of any antivirus program during the bios upgrade and it should be fine.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 81e9d81d, 9944cc88, 0}
Probably caused by : hardware ( nt!NtAlpcSendWaitReceivePort+125 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E
PROCESS_NAME: csrss.exe

Sorry just quoting analysis must go..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back