TechSpot

Android, iOS captured 8% of US video game market in 2010

By Emil
Apr 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The increasing popularity of iOS (iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad) and Android games continue to increase their US video game market share. The magnitude of disruption is increasing, particularly in the portable gaming category, according to new data from mobile analytics firm Flurry.

Read the whole story

2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Gotta hand it to them, I don't recall downloading any patches for my Angry Birds game.

3. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

I resent these statistics as they never truly show the size of the PC gaming industry. Retail sales are going down dramatically. In fact, I can't remember the last time that I went into a store and bought a game. No, wait. StarCraft II.

4. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

It would be interesting to know the exact percentages for iOS & Android separately.

5. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 635   +60

The console segment took more users from portables than the mobile devices. Interesting that the story is all about how users prefer to game on mobile devices.

6. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Fail US video game market statistics, where are PC's?

7. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 115

Exactly??!!

8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Makes me wonder if, in 5-10 years, there will be constant "mobile gaming is killing the console gaming market" complaints, like we get now with the "PC gaming is dying" lamentations...

9. edison5do

edison5do TS Rookie Posts: 239

Yep, you can bet on it!! and by the way... Why is not PC there? even if its minor, it deserve to be there, even if is only to show us that PC Gaming is really dying...

10. It seems like these articles get dumber and dumber with each iteration. Showing a "videogame" pie chart which purports to show the percentages of the total pie of games sold for each platform--and which completely omits the biggest market of them all--the PC gaming market--is incredibly and unbelievably brain dead--not to mention blasphemously wrong. This doesn't even address the really *****ic notion that people who play games on the PC--or even the occasional console--would ever look at an Android/iOS "game" as being in the same category and directly comparable with the type of games they buy.

It's similar to some people directly comparing ARM cpus with x86 cpus--when there's almost no direct comparison possible because the cpus are made for far different markets and the pricing and performance of x86 blows ARM slap away (as it is much, much higher on both counts). People are really ignorant aren't they? SHeesh.

11. Det

Det TS Rookie Posts: 84

Of course, people like you never read the actual news before commenting how poor it is.

This news was never about how equal pc games and mobile games are - it was just about how much the sales had increased/decreased.

12. The trend seem to show everyone rather buy a 5$ buck game on there portable device then spend 40$ - 60$ buck on console and PC game.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.