Angry Birds creator Rovio could soon be worth $1.2 billion

By Shawn Knight
Aug 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Rovio Mobile, makers of the popular catapult-puzzle game Angry Birds, are said to be in talks with investors to receive funding that would value the company at $1.2 billion. Bloomberg…

Read the whole story
  2. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Funny. When I had my iPhone 3Gs, out of all the games I had, I NEVER touched Angry Birds. Played it a few times and found it boring and not as fun as the other games I had. Then I learn it's become extremely popular. I think porting to Android really helped because people on Android at the time barely had any quality games to play, so they all went to Angry Birds. My theory at least.
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Theme park ride? You put on a bird costume, get strapped into a giant rubber band, and propelled at foam buildings and giant stuffed animal pigs.

Hm.

That actually sounds like fun.
  4. TechM633

TechM633 Newcomer, in training Posts: 33

Man......I need to come up with a fun game, where you throw animals into walls. What a great way to make money. It makes me wish I had thought of that. lol!
  5. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 802   +8

So, because you found it boring and never really played it, that means all other iPhone users felt the same? I know a lot of iPhone users that play Angry Birds. I mean yes, the fact it got ported to Android does help, but Android has a ton of apps now, so this theory doesn't hold much ground anymore. I'm sure it did in the beginning, but not anymore. This game is even available for your laptop/desktop, so that makes a difference.
  6. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

That's not what I meant to say. At the time, it was still a very popular game on the iPhone but what I think really led the way to it becoming truly successful and international was Android. Sure you can find it on things like a Roku box and other devices but what platform has been growing exponentially in the last year or so? Android. Of course it broke ground on the iPhone but I think it went Platinum once Android users got hold of it back when they did (if I'm correct it was one of the original high quality games to come out)

Get what I'm saying?
  7. I played Angry Birds for the first time last night. And it seemed very familiar to me somehow. Then I remembered playing a catapult "puzzle" game just like this a few years ago. It was medieval themed, no birds. Same idea that there are different materials that act differently. But instead of catapulting birds, there was an actual catapult with large stones.

I'm no copyright expert, but the similarities were far too much to be coincidental. I'd go so far as to say Angry Birds copied that older game, slapped on new graphics and sounds and called it Angry Birds.

Any chance that older game was made by the same company as Angry Birds? If not, I call plagiarism shenanigans.
  8. jess3088

jess3088 Newcomer, in training

All my friends are like obssed with this game. Me not so much. Never found the attraction to it. So should not be worth 1.2 bil
  9. Seems pretty silly to build 200 stores to sell the merchandise. There are probably already retail stores in China that could sell the stuff. Is Walmart have any stores there?
  10. DeliciousPie

DeliciousPie TechSpot Member Posts: 43

I don't get it.
  11. And it is worth that just because of ingame publicity?.

12. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,519   +311

Pre-IPO valuations are currently bloated, or at least they used to be until the recent stumble in the stock market. Like you I don't believe there's a lot of sense in a 4 million profit/20 million (?) revenue company receiving a 1+ billion valuation, but they may still get funded based on the perspective that by leveraging their momentum in the mobile gaming space and the brand recognition Angry Birds has, they could build a worldwide brand spanning many other products.
  13. ihaveaname

ihaveaname TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 127

Lol ... Angry Birds movie? I'd watch it :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.