Anybody use SeaMonkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learninmypc

SeaMonkey is in the Firefox family & anybody using Firefox knows when you go to bookmark a webpage,you are given a pop up box that gives you an option of where to put that bookmarked webpage.
UNfortunately & to the best of my knowledge,unless you drag & drop the website icon to the proper folder, you DON'T get any option in SeaMonkey.
I would like to know if anybody in here uses SeaMonkey & if so,is there an easy fix or do I get to continue draggin' & droppin'?:) No registry fixes please & TIA. :)

The following may help:
Reset Cookies

For Chrome:
  • Tools> Options> Under The Hood> Privacy Section
  • CHECK 'Restrict how third party Cookies can be used'> Close.
Note:First-party and third-party cookies can be set by the website you're visiting and websites that have items embedded in the website you're visiting. But when you next visit the website, only first-party cookie information is sent to the website. Third-party cookie information isn't sent back to the websites that originally set the third-party cookies.

Toggle Cookies for SeaMonkey 0.6: Download HERE
  • Click the icon to toggle the cookieBehavior preference
  • When Cookies are enabled, it intentionally still disallows third party cookies unless you right-click the icon to toggle the thirdparty.sessionOnly preference (status will show in a tooltip when hovering over the icon). You should not need to allow 3rd party ever. That where all the Cookies you listed came from. 1st Party is site itself, 3rd party is ads, banners, etc.
  • Bonus: Middle-click the icon to open your cookies list in a new tab.
  • Or you can do this:you set the about:config pref network.cookie.alwaysAcceptSessionCookies to true for less repetitive prompting)[/u]
Toggle Cookies is a Firefox and SeaMonkey extension.
--------------------------------
For Internet Explorer:
  • Internet Options (through Tools or Control Panel) Privacy tab
  • Choose Advanced button
  • CHECK 'override automatic Cookie handling'
  • CHECK 'accept[/b] first party Cookies'
  • CHECK 'Block third party Cookies'
  • CHECK 'allow per session Cookies'> Apply> OK.
For Firefox:
  • Tools> Options> Privacy> Cookies
    [o]click on 'use custom settings for History.' if on your version of FF
  • CHECK ‘accept Cookies from Sites’
  • UNCHECK 'accept[/b] third party Cookies'
  • Set Keep until 'they expire'.
This will allow you to keep Cookies for registered sites and prevent or remove others. (Note: for Firefox v3.5, after Privacy

I suggest using the following two add-on for Firefox. (Note: May be version dependent) They will prevent the Tracking Cookies that come from ads and banners and other sources:
AdBlock Plus
Easy List
=======================================
When you first run Superantispyware, be sure to do this:
  • Superantispyware will now scan your computer,when it's finished it will list all/any infections found.
  • Make sure everything found has a checkmark next to it,then press 'Next'.

Bobbye, not knowing if I should start my own NEW thread or continue in here, I downloaded Google Chrome & installed it, added adblock & WOT & have blocked 3rd party cookies & a few other settings. Following your initial settings;
The following may help:
Reset Cookies

For Chrome:
  • Tools> Options> Under The Hood> Privacy Section
  • CHECK 'Restrict how third party Cookies can be used'> Close.
Did Google Chrome get rid of the "Under The Hood" section or have I forgotten my way around Google Chrome?

Sorry- looks like the path is version dependent. See if this is available on your version of Chrome"

Reset Cookies in later versions of Chrome:
  • Click the wrench icon tools menu on the browser toolbar.
  • Select Settings> Click Show advanced settings.
  • "Privacy" section> Click Content settings to adjust your permissions for cookies, images, JavaScript, plug-ins, pop-ups, and location sharing. All web content, except for pop-ups, are allowed by default.

Okay, the problems in this thread have been resolved. You can now do the drag & drop and also reconsider going back to Chrome after resetting the Cookies!

Good job! Congrats!
images

Ok, here is where I'm confused.I just ran a quick scan & got this
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 08/11/2012 at 02:17 PM

Application Version : 5.5.1012

Core Rules Database Version : 9044
Trace Rules Database Version: 6856

Scan type : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:11:58

Operating System Information
Windows XP Professional 32-bit, Service Pack 3 (Build 5.01.2600)
Administrator

Memory items scanned : 431
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 29137
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 6835
File threats detected : 7

Adware.Tracking Cookie
.doubleclick.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\HP_ADMINISTRATOR.SEATTLE\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.doubleclick.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\HP_ADMINISTRATOR.SEATTLE\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
accounts.google.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\HP_ADMINISTRATOR.SEATTLE\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
accounts.google.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\HP_ADMINISTRATOR.SEATTLE\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]

My previous scan, WITH OUT Google Chrome was clean
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 08/08/2012 at 02:45 PM

Application Version : 5.5.1012

Core Rules Database Version : 9030
Trace Rules Database Version: 6842

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 02:30:24

Operating System Information
Windows XP Professional 32-bit, Service Pack 3 (Build 5.01.2600)
Administrator

Memory items scanned : 450
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 36452
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 80629
File threats detected : 0
Where did I go wrong,if I did?

Review this in my 2nd instruction for resetting Cookies in Chrome:
All web content, except for pop-ups, are allowed by default.
You didn't do anything wrong: Click on the following Link, then click on #8 on the page:
Google > Policies & Principles
Advertising privacy FAQ
8. How does Google use the DoubleClick cookie to serve ads?
---------------------------------
Google owns .doubleclick.net. They are spying on you, plain and simple. They have made it a default Cookie. You can find the section in Chrome that has exceptions to the Cookies you allow and try to block it. Type it in like this:
*.doubleclick.net

I don't know if it will work, but you can try. Basically, Google is having you 'pay' to use their browser by delivering ad content, then tracking how you handle it.

Ok, since I didn't do anything wrong, I'll try your "You can find the section in Chrome that has exceptions to the Cookies you allow and try to block it. Type it in like this:
*.doubleclick.net " idea later & I thank you for your help.(y)

Yes, the * stands for a wild card.
As for changing anything you type in, you can almost go back and delete either the entire entry then retype it, or highlight the area you want to either add to or remove from, then make your correction.

So either highlight> press back button on keyboard to remove entire entry.
Or if you want to add the *, click on the dot to the left of the word doubleclick> add the * and make sure the dot is still in front of the word doubleclick as well as between the worddoubleclick and net:
Shift key> *> dot> doubleclick> dot> net = *.doubleclick.net

Keep in mind please that I am not sure if Google will allow doubleclick to be blocked- so don't fret if it doesn't!

You're welcome. You're learning a lot- keep it so you can bring it out and use it again if needed!

I've got a few bookmarks in the horizontal bookmark bar & would like to know where they hid the setting to open a new tab when I click one of them,thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back