Apple blames Intel for no USB 3.0 support

Emil

Staff

An Apple fan recently e-mailed the company's CEO, Steve Jobs, asking about whether there'll be USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed) support in Macs soon. "We don't see USB 3 taking off at this time," Jobs reported wrote in a response e-mail, according to 9to5 Mac. "No support from Intel, for example."

SuperSpeed support isn't expected in the core-logic offerings accompanying Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs, which are slated to arrive early next year. USB 3.0 support will instead arrive with Intel chipsets as part of the Chief River platform, expected enter mass production in September 2011 and get a public announcement in January 2012, according to a DigiTimes.

This begs the question: why is Intel not embracing the next version of USB as soon as possible? It's possible that the company is introducing delays on purpose, due to Light Peak. What do you think?

Permalink to story.

Light peak is amazing. I completely understand why they wouldn't fully support USB 3

If light peak is it, then am in for it provided they start to roll out HDDs and other devices to using the standard simultaneously.

If light peak is or can be a cash cow for Intel why the hell should they support USB 3.0 and affect their own income?
P.S.
I don't agree to what they are doing and I am not a fan of their products.

LightPeak of course is pretty awesome and much desired, but USB 3 would be a decent stop-gap until LP comes out...so I think Intel has made a bad decision here.

Plus it may force people who want to upgrade to just wait for LP's release, as opposed to buying USB3 supported products next year (had intel decided to back it).

This is just as bad as Steve Jobs not supporting Flash. Why not give all the options to its customers and let us decide if we want to favor a certain technology or not?

2 steps forward 1 step back

Blame game blame game. Even if apple is correct here they need to stop blaming everyone for every little thing.

Someone needs to get the axe. USB 3 should be supported no ifs ands or buts. Other manufacturers are on board and usb 3 products are rolling out. No excuses, we need the speed, Intel should not be dragging their feet.

Light peak is amazing-ly slow to materialize, where the hell is it? usb3 is here and it works. intel needs to suport usb3 because they have nothing else to market.

I think Intel wants to delay USB3.0 so that when they release Light Peak it will really take off. Maybe I am wrong, but it makes sense, because if it is hard to find a computer to plug your USB3.0 device into, your going to stop using it.
Light Peak might be faster, but as others have said, USB3.0 is here!!! It is ready for use. How much closer to the consumer does it get than that...

Motherboard makers aren't waiting for Intel support. They are including third party USB 3.0 on their motherboards anyway. If Light Peak comes along and catches on, fine, but until then we can use USB 3.0.

Someone needs to get the axe. USB 3 should be supported no ifs ands or buts. Other manufacturers are on board and usb 3 products are rolling out. No excuses, we need the speed, Intel should not be dragging their feet.

Typical new user. Doesn't read the other comments. Intel is doing ANYTHING BUT dragging their feet. Lightpeak could do away with sata, usb ect all together. I guess developing revolutionary tech is dragging their feet.

DigiTimes reports Intel is talking up an upcoming Chief River platform with mobo manufacturers that is supposed to include native support for USB 3. Mass production in late 2011. Could this be Intel bowing to demand, or could LightPeak be more challenging than expected to bring into production?

Intel still needs to support USB 3.0 but lightpeak will change everything if they can get it out soon. USB 3.0 is still needed at this time because alot of people are tired of waiting on usb 2.0 to do its job. This will cause many people to wait for LP to come out and cause less upgrades overall.

Very few full computer manufacturers offer USB 3 support right now anyway, if you want it you have to buy your own card or build your own system. I see a few articles on some laptops have it planned in the future and with the exception of an eeePc I think they aren't cheap.

So while I think Apple should be planning on it being included, I don't think they are too much in the wrong here by taking the stance they are.

I'm really torn, I want to buy a Sandy Bridge CPU next year... but I don't want to leap right before 3.0 sees adoption. Course I said that before Intel delayed 3.0 this year, let's hope they don't do it again.

I really think Light Peak is a much better implementation of peripheral connection technology than USB 3, or any non-optical version of USB could ever be. I'm hoping that the reason Intel is delaying USB 3 support is to push Light Peak. 10 Gbps of long range optical bandwidth, with the option of copper cables to retain the charging and power capabilities of USB is something the computer industry could seriously benefit from.

Intel is getting foolish here as they are rolling out usb 2.0 and not 3.0. What difference does it make for them to roll out 3.0? Anyways i am happy with my present P55 boards and i am really not looking for so called Sandy bridge untill it comes with usb 3 controller

My year old X58 platform will last me for quite some time, the Idea of upgrading just to get USB 3 or LP is of no interest to me nor do I own any devices that support either. Gonna pass on Sandy Bridge and probably the next iteration too, there's not much my current rig can't do. For anyone else waiting for either to come out it seems almost pointless, until either has had full market adoption both are pretty useless. When I can have a USB 3 flash key that is actually going to use then bandwidth and have a capacity that makes it worth while then I'll consider the upgrade. Till then eSATA works for me just fine when large data transfer is required.

I purchased a UD3R Gigabyte MB with 2 USB 3.0 slots... its been a year and still hasn't been penetrated with a 3.0 Flashdrive or anything =\.

even if apple was to support USB 3.0 they would put mini USB 3.0 ports in their computers, then they could charge $39.99 for a mini USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 apple certified adapter.

P.S. Unix sucks

Lightpeak is definitely preferable over USB 3, and I can't help but feel that USB 3 is doomed without the support of someone like Intel. I bought a USB 3 mobo several months ago and don't have any devices connected to those ports.

Lol its intels fault? They can develop their own drivers if they buy chips from NEC/Renesas i think they dont need Intel for that in my opinion.

Guest said:
LightPeak of course is pretty awesome and much desired, but USB 3 would be a decent stop-gap until LP comes out...so I think Intel has made a bad decision here.

Plus it may force people who want to upgrade to just wait for LP's release, as opposed to buying USB3 supported products next year (had intel decided to back it).

This is just as bad as Steve Jobs not supporting Flash. Why not give all the options to its customers and let us decide if we want to favor a certain technology or not?

2 steps forward 1 step back
HSDL is out earlier and is 20Gbit/s - close to Light Peak's initial max reported bandwidth. i.e. Light Peak is already obsolete to a product in the market and it isn't even out yet. Intel need to pull their finger out.

Back