Apple claims Samsung violates Siri patents with Google Now

Jesse

apple samsung siri google patent google now samsun

Apple has added another complaint to its ongoing patent infringement lawsuit with Samsung, claiming that Google Now violates Siri patents. Florian Mueller of Foss Patents reports that in an amendment to its current court case, Apple says that Samsung infringed upon patents 8,086,604 and 6,846,959, both entitled “Universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system.”

In practice, this “universal interface” is Siri, and by using Google’s Google Now technology in its devices, Apple claims Samsung has violated these patents. Apple has previously filed similar complaints about the use of the Android Quick Search Box, but Samsung recently replaced this feature with Google Now, prompting the amendment and shifted focus.

It’s interesting to see Apple targeting Samsung for violation of Siri patents instead of going after the source of Google Now, Google. This may just be a preamble to a larger court battle against Google, as a victory in this case against Samsung could set a precedent for future suits involving the technologies in question. In the meantime, the complaints strengthen Apple's case against Samsung while they push for an injunction against some of their devices in the U.S.

In addition to ‘604 and ‘959, Apple amended the complaint to include three other Apple-owned patents:

• U.S. Patent No. 5,666,502: "Graphical user interface using historical lists with field classes"
  • U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647: "System and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data"
  • U.S. Patent No. 7,761,414: "Asynchronous data synchronization amongst devices"

Permalink to story.

Samsung is definitely at a disadvantage since it is a Korean company battling an American company in American courts. Just because Google Now is better, it doesnt mean you have to sue.

Seem as though Apple has found out that the consumer has finally realized their products are a ripoff and not so keen to buy them anymore so they do the next best thing to bolster their bottom line, suing the pants off their rivals. They make me sick.

Apple are like the patent system, abusive pathetic and should be shot down immediately its halting technology everyone is scared of creating something new and innovative because we have pathetic companies like apple with stupid patents.

If this goes on I will patent life and death so I can sue everyone in the world I mean heck if apple has these kind of patents who's to say me patenting life and death wont be accepted if they accepted apples patents they have no choice but to patent mine.

No, they copied it after Speaktoit, which has been out as long as Siri. Or maybe Dragon? Siri was nothing new when Apple started pushing it. It was already old technology. Siri was a free app for two years before Apple put it in the 4S.

Apple is becoming more and more desperate as they lose control and market-share. This will go no where slow. It should go no where fast, but they will drag it out way longer then it needs to be.

Using your eyes isn't an ?Universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system.??? Everybody watch (!!!) out....

Hum... now I understand the general hate from some countries towards the US.. I feel it towards apple... and if I feel it... thats a really really bad sign...

Apple is a company that sells bad products with traces of new technology... they don't products, they sell dreams... for a lot of people nightmares... Apples's moto: how to turn stupid rich people taking their money and laughingn with it...

Apple, SIRIously, what's your problem? Is it just money you are behind coz I do not see anything else in iPhones since its release, just the same casing with the Same "slide to unlock" and unchangeable themes.
Every technology of yours including your infamous "Retina Display" have been overtaken, by phones that cost 1/4th of iPhones.
Its time to grow up Apple, start developing and stop complaining.

Back