TechSpot

Apple could lose the rights to the iPhone name in Brazil next week

By Shawn Knight
Feb 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple will reportedly lose the right to use the iPhone trademark in Latin America in the near future. A source familiar with the decision recently told Reuters that Brazil’s copyright regulator will strip Apple of the rights and award it...

Read more

2. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 382   +70

Just call it something else like "Phone I" or something.

3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 364   +40

Or just offer $25 million and call it a deal.

4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,900   +711

I like it. Needs a hyphen though...Phone-I (pronounced Phone-eee)

m4a4, Littleczr and Kezhen Gao like this.
  5. I'd give them $60 million to pursue the fight in every country on the planet to take the name away from Apple which has no right to it. Make Apple recall all their stevePhones and rename them.

6. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 304   +37

Karma's a *****. Apple sues everyone for IP infringement, now they're being sued over intellectual property.

spencer likes this.
  7. NeoFlux

NeoFlux TS Member Posts: 89

I'd think proper response to Apple would be "Change your phones name. Not that big of a deal"

8. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

9. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

No Apple will tell Brazil that they are holding the name of the phone wrong....

10. Yeah! And while we are at it, Pepsi change your name, and Chevrolet, find another name. Hey Gillette, give it up. You guys have no rights to your name.

11. Wonder Mike

Wonder Mike TS Rookie

nah, they just need to replace the hyphen with a comma. I, Phone.

12. Just remove iPhone from Brazil these law suit as to stop, at the end it's always the user who paid for it

13. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TS Booster Posts: 251   +46

In fact, Gradiente has released this video clarifying the confusion and explaining the differences between both products. They were surprisingly honest, telling that Apple's product is much faster, has higher resolution and lots of other bells and whistles, while the Brazilian counterpart is quite a simpler device. But (and this a J Lo but), it allows you to use two chips simultaneously. Because you know, we need one for the wife and the other for all the remaining chicks. Of course not, it doesn't make sense to keep both chips in the same device. The reason for that is because cell phone companies charge a lot for calls to different companies, while calls between phones of the same company or even to land lines are very cheap.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.