TechSpot

Apple ditched Google Maps over voice navigation quarrel

By Rick
Sep 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple's controversial replacement of Google Maps with its own in-house mapping solution may have left some users scratching their heads, but journalists atĀ AllThingsD believe they know why: the absence of voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions.

Read more

2. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 367   +51

Google is soooo evil. They wanted their company name on their own work. How unforgivable.

ReederOnTheRun and dennis777 like this.
  3. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

Although I don't like Apple's products I understand their stance. And ultimately I think this will be a good move for the company. They did it little earlier than they should've. iOS 7 would've made more since but they'll recover.

4. NeoFlux

NeoFlux TS Member Posts: 89

Yup. "...iOS 7 with never seen before voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions in maps..."

peperonikiller likes this.
  5. peperonikiller

peperonikiller TS Member Posts: 75

lol. but wait there's more Neo.

It also comes with Siri built in to iOS7 maps, where you just say where you want to go and it drives your car for you.

6. rvnwlfdroid

rvnwlfdroid TS Rookie Posts: 82   +6

Pepkiller >

Yes but who is going to have the copy rights for the "Google says driverless cars are coming within the next five years" article? lol

7. Technically, I believe an Apple Siri turn-by-turn map app could wrap Google Maps with access through the api. If that is so, it would come down to a plain old suit-war. So to the suits: get out of the way of the engineers!

8. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

google bad indeed. Go apple!!! your maps are the best in the world!

9. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

In their own little world?

10. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 225   +6

I really hope that was sarcasm :D

11. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,928   +569

Apple ditched Google Maps, we ditched apple - makes sense...

Mamoon69 likes this.

12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,127   +731

I tried out my brother's iPhone 5 and saw the maps app. I thought it was google's. Apple seems to have used the exact same color scheme. I hope they don't get sued. ;)

I understand Apple's point, but I wonder how much money they've spent and will spend on their own maps program. Google has driven cars on every street in every city and taken pictures of everything. When you use their navigation it shows you a picture of the building when arrive. Apple should have just licensed it, they probably would have saved a ton of money and gotten a better product.

13. Neojt

Neojt TS Enthusiast Posts: 146   +10

LOL you made my morning!!

You know Cult leader dont like outside influence hence they cant say Google make better maps let alone put their name on it.

14. This weekend I tried Apples new turn by turn map directions and they sucked. It was totaly unusable. The basic map function was OK.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.