Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Uber, and more are writing joint letter to Trump

midian182

Staff member

The message from the majority of tech firms seems clear: as long as Donald Trump’s immigration ban remains in place, we will oppose it. The latest method of protest will reportedly come in the form of a letter sent directly to the President, in which Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Uber, and others write that “a blanket suspension is not the right approach.”

Recode’s Kara Swisher was first to report on the formal letter, a response to the last week’s executive order that banned entry to the US for citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries - Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen – for 90 days. It has also suspended the entire US refugee admissions system for 120 days and suspended the Syrian refugee program indefinitely.

Recode has published a full draft of the letter, which you can read below. It mentions America being “the land of opportunity, – welcoming newcomers and giving them the chance to build families, careers, and businesses in the United States.”

Not since Apple’s encryption battle with the FBI over the San Bernardino shooter’s iPhone have so many Silicon Valley rivals been united against a cause. A huge number of CEO’s, including Google’s Sundar Pichai, Apple’s Tim Cook, and Microsoft’s Satya Nadella have spoken out against the ban and pledged to support any employees that may be affected by it. Protests have been taking place across the country, and yesterday brought news of Alphabet chairman Eric Schmidt’s warning that Trump’s administration will “do evil things as they’ve done in the immigration area.”

Here’s the full draft of the letter:

Dear President Trump,

Since the country’s birth, America has been the land of opportunity – welcoming newcomers and giving them the chance to build families, careers, and businesses in the United States. We are a nation made stronger by immigrants. As entrepreneurs and business leaders, our ability to grow our companies and create jobs depends on the contributions of immigrants from all backgrounds.

We share your goal of ensuring that our immigration system meets today’s security needs and keeps our country safe. We are concerned, however, that your recent executive order will affect many visa holders who work hard here in the United States and contribute to our country’s success. In a global economy, it is critical that we continue to attract the best and brightest from around the world. We welcome the changes your administration has made in recent days in how the Department of Homeland Security will implement the executive order, and we stand ready to help your administration identify other opportunities to ensure that our employees can travel with predictability and without undue delay.

Our nation’s compassion is a part of what makes it exceptional, and we are committed to helping your administration identify approaches for thorough screening without a blanket suspension of admissions under the U.S. Refugee Admissions program. While security and vetting procedures can and should always be subject to continuous evaluation and improvement, a blanket suspension is not the right approach.

Similarly, we stand ready to identify ways of helping to achieve your stated goal of bringing clarity to the future of the 750,000 Dreamers in this country under the protections of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in a way “that will make people happy and proud.” Removing these protections by barring renewals would effectively end the program and eliminate the ability for these Dreamers to work and live without the fear of deportation.

The business community shares your commitment to growing the American economy and expanding job creation across the country. We hire both thousands of Americans and some of the most talented people from abroad, who work together to help our companies succeed and expand our overall employment. As you contemplate changes to the nation’s complex and interconnected immigration policies, whether business and employment-based visas, refugees, or DACA, we hope that you will use us as a resource to help achieve immigration policies that both support the work of American businesses and reflect American values.

Permalink to story.

Where was this outrage when Obama did exactly the same thing? Ohhh, right, most city dwellers with lots of disposable income are liberals, thus pandering to them = more sales while criticizing the Mahdi might harm them. Sickening.

It is TEMPORARY... why is everyone sh!tting a brick over this? It is just so they can get their ducks in a row. Now if it goes beyond the time-frame they claim or they ban immigration from certain countries all-together, THEN you have something to complain about.

Just my opinion, go ahead and hate me now.

What makes them think Trump will actually read it. Maybe they should've just Tweeted to him. From what I've heard, he's more likely to see it that way. It's just a storm in a teacup right now and will blow over once people have gotten used to it, much like most have gotten used to having non removable batteries in phones by now. They adapt then wonder what all the fuss was about in the first place.

It is TEMPORARY... why is everyone sh!tting a brick over this? It is just so they can get their ducks in a row. Now if it goes beyond the time-frame they claim or they ban immigration from certain countries all-together, THEN you have something to complain about.

Just my opinion, go ahead and hate me now.
I won't hate you.

He now says that it is temporary. If he proves that, fine! History is replete with examples of people who said and did nothing. At a certain point, it became too late to say anything - for anyone.
What makes them think Trump will actually read it. Maybe they should've just Tweeted to him. From what I've heard, he's more likely to see it that way. It's just a storm in a teacup right now and will blow over once people have gotten used to it, much like most have gotten used to having non removable batteries in phones by now. They adapt then wonder what all the fuss was about in the first place.
If it blows over, fine. Right now, though, there are 40+ lawsuits against this in the works.

Here is yet another viewpoint on whether Obama did the same thing - http://www.snopes.com/trump-immigration-order-obama/

I won't hate you.

He now says that it is temporary. If he proves that, fine! History is replete with examples of people who said and did nothing. At a certain point, it became too late to say anything - for anyone.

If it blows over, fine. Right now, though, there are 40+ lawsuits against this in the works.

Here is yet another viewpoint on whether Obama did the same thing - http://www.snopes.com/trump-immigration-order-obama/
(y);)

Aww, poor tech companies which did everything to stop Trump now have no power at all LOL. Screw you people , Trump is doing exactly what the overwhelming majority of people want him to do , piss off .

Don't like it get the hell out of the country .

Aww, poor tech companies which did everything to stop Trump now have no power at all LOL. Screw you people , Trump is doing exactly what the overwhelming majority of people want him to do , piss off .

Except he didn't actually get the majority? LOL. It's infuriating how much history is repeating itself and people are convinced it's different. (See Hitler's rise to power).

Except he didn't actually get the majority? LOL. It's infuriating how much history is repeating itself and people are convinced it's different. (See Hitler's rise to power).
+1 And it is going further and further in Hitler's direction every day. Now, because a bunch of terrorists violently protested at Berkeley, Trump is threatening to cut-off federal funding.

Pro Tip - did you know calling someone Hitler is the fastest way to discredit anything else you're about to say?

Anyway - Hitler came to power by convincing people the govt needed more power to 'keep the peace' Then they started silencing anyone who disagreed with them in order to 'keep the peace'. You may recognize a similar tactic being used on college campuses today, except we say 'to prevent hate speech.'

We're just not used to a president following through on campaign promises.

Last edited:
Ok... Rob - you wrote the story about the WRONG immigration order. You reference the ban from the 7 terrorist countries
Recode’s Kara Swisher was first to report on the formal letter, a response to the last week’s executive order that banned entry to the US for citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries - Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen – for 90 days.

But the letter is about the proposed changes to the H1-B visas. From the letter...
We are concerned, however, that your recent executive order will affect many visa holders who work hard here in the United States and contribute to our country’s success.

This story was even on TS --
https://www.techspot.com/community/...-used-by-many-tech-companies-to-bring.232970/

C'mon guys... get it straight. The letter from the tech giants posted above isn't about the 90-ban from terrorist countries. It's about the permanent changes to the Visa program.

Ok... Rob - you wrote the story about the WRONG immigration order. You reference the ban from the 7 terrorist countries
Recode’s Kara Swisher was first to report on the formal letter, a response to the last week’s executive order that banned entry to the US for citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries - Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen – for 90 days.

But the letter is about the proposed changes to the H1-B visas. From the letter...
We are concerned, however, that your recent executive order will affect many visa holders who work hard here in the United States and contribute to our country’s success.

This story was even on TS --
https://www.techspot.com/community/...-used-by-many-tech-companies-to-bring.232970/

C'mon guys... get it straight. The letter from the tech giants posted above isn't about the 90-ban from terrorist countries. It's about the permanent changes to the Visa program.
You are either lying or your reading comprehension is low.

Majority vote in the US is pointless... as it isn't how the system actually works. It was intentional and I'm sure you already know that by now but are just being a jerk. Now if the US did actually go by majority vote, I bet people would have voted differently. People in the US were simply for who they thought would win considering the way system works.

All you people who keep saying Trump = Hitler are crazy. Until he actually starts mass killing and taking away rights from citizens (which he hasn't done either of those yet), your comparisons are pointless.

Many used the same comparison with Obama, which was also quite far fetched. At most Obama is a proxy terrorist as his actions demonstrated that he had their interest over the US' interest. I seriously wonder how many of the hundreds of terrorists he released from US custody will end up committing a mass murder within 20 years. I'd bet money that it will be more than one.

You are either lying or your reading comprehension is low.

Actually neither... I just assumed there was no way these tech geniuses would write a letter to Trump because they were concerned about something they could have figured out by either a) reading the news or b) asking one of their lawyers. The immigration ban doesn't apply to people in the US already - especially not those who are visa holders or green card holders.

So it's then clear that the point of the letter wasn't to actually express their concern over this 90 day ban. It was just to get in the news and be on the record on how they felt.

The chances of Trump reversing this 90 day ban because of protests or letters from CEOs is zero. And they know that. If there's one thing we've all learned about Trump it's that he does NOT care what other people think.

Dear Donald

I removed the NSA back door code from from Google on my pc, all the poison apps from my iPhone, I removed all the free Windows 10 updates from my laptop, I can't call the Whitehouse to say goodbye because there are no phone lines lines available, I can't call an Uber to go the airport to leave the country. What do I do now?

Vladmir

Well, let me see
Dear Donald

I removed the NSA back door code from from Google on my pc, all the poison apps from my iPhone, I removed all the free Windows 10 updates from my laptop, I can't call the Whitehouse to say goodbye because there are no phone lines lines available, I can't call an Uber to go the airport to leave the country. What do I do now?

Vladmir
Dude, I hope you slapped on a double thick "oven ready" tin foil hat and put a flack helmet over it, 'cause they're still comin' after ya! :eek: (I know, because both of my house cats told me so in a dream)...:cool:

+1 And it is going further and further in Hitler's direction every day. Now, because a bunch of terrorists violently protested at Berkeley, Trump is threatening to cut-off federal funding.

Why don't you two simply come to grips with the fact Donald Trump is president of the US. Hillary Clinton would likely have done a much worse job, while emptying your bank accounts and wallets of your so called, "disposable income", and funneling it to the inner cities to fund more entitlement babies, as potential democratic voters of the future.

The reason Trump is stirring up all this crap, is the fact that we've had too much liberal government for far too long.

My best advice to the both of you, is to pull your cheap pink acetate panties out of your a** cracks and get on with your lives.

And really, the Hitler comparisons are inane. They just go to prove you know nothing about history, and just like to hear yourselves run your yaps.

Last edited:
This is what happens when you hire folks from war zones which is what the travel ban is, I myself couldn't trust hiring someone in syria who may or may not be a terrorist. If you hire people from warzones this is what happens you get burned.

New Common Sense

Beware those who will profit by a change

ALL communications can be intercepted

Membership simplifies herding members

Resist whenever and wherever possible

Bend, staple, fold and mutilate all data

Use and instruct in common sense

KJV NT 1st 4 books words in red our guide

Paranoia is a disabling fear of the unknown

Caution when dealing with threats enables

Actually neither... I just assumed there was no way these tech geniuses would write a letter to Trump because they were concerned about something they could have figured out by either a) reading the news or b) asking one of their lawyers. The immigration ban doesn't apply to people in the US already - especially not those who are visa holders or green card holders.

So it's then clear that the point of the letter wasn't to actually express their concern over this 90 day ban. It was just to get in the news and be on the record on how they felt.

The chances of Trump reversing this 90 day ban because of protests or letters from CEOs is zero. And they know that. If there's one thing we've all learned about Trump it's that he does NOT care what other people think.
Wait , you started with saying that this letter was about the H1B-visa and not the 90 day ban. Now you are saying you just assumed instead of actually reading. I am going to assume that your family tree is confusing.

Last edited:
I am going to assume that your family tree is confusing.
Since you've seen fit to change the topic to heredity and genetics, allow me to share some information with you. Human beings are in the genus, "Homo". Technically our binomial name is Homo Sapiens. However, due to the fact we share 99.8+% of our DNA with a living relative, some scientists believe we should be placed in the genus "Pan", of which there are two species, Pan troglodytes. and Pan paniscus. These are the common chimpanzee, and the bonobo chimpanzee, respectively.

The only thing which prevents this from happening, is the fact the genus Homo, was named before the genus Pan. Actual biological relationship has nothing to do with it.

With those things being said, meet your cousin:
chimpanzee-with-baby.jpg.adapt.945.1.jpg

She kind of puts you in mind of Rodan's, "the Thinker", doesn't she?

80010981_01_p.jpg

Last edited:
YOU MEAN GLOBALIST, Huge Corporations are trying to go against TRUMP (the guy that is restoring the Republic)? YOU DON'T say!!

These companies are CORRUPT as fuc% and so is every other establishment entity - isn't it obvious to you pee brains that the corrupt entities hate Trump, because he isn't corrupt like they are?

So obvious, but the MATRIX Sleepers just dont get it.... But that's okay, because the masses are waking up and the sheeple are tied of being led astray... Cancer will be BYE BYE in a matter of no time. Why? Because the corrupt Medical Establishment is going bye bye as well! And Chronic Disease is what they love to keep around - keeping the $$ flowing in... BYE FELECIAS!

Back