Apple launches cheaper 8 GB iPhone 5c, finally discontinues iPad 2

Scorpus

Staff member

As expected, Apple has launched an 8 GB version of the iPhone 5c today, giving buyers a cheaper option in the company's mid smartphone tier. The new handset is priced at £429 in the UK, which is £40 cheaper than the 16 GB model; when the device hits the United States, it'll likely be priced at $499 going by Apple's pricing structure.

Aside from the smaller amount of internal storage, the 8 GB iPhone 5c is identical to the other iPhone 5cs that were launched in September 2013. Most of the hardware is borrowed from the older iPhone 5, including the 4.0-inch 1136 x 640 IPS LCD display, Apple A6 SoC, 8-megapixel rear camera and 5.73 Wh battery.

The choice by Apple to release a cheaper iPhone 5c with less storage is likely in response to mediocre sales of the device, which were lower than the company was anticipating. Most iPhone buyers opted for the high-end iPhone 5s when the two devices launched, overlooking the iPhone 5c's year-old hardware. The introduction of an 8 GB model may not improve sales either, as it's priced as high as many current-generation, newer Android devices such as the LG G2.

Alongside the launch of the 8 GB iPhone 5c, Apple finally discontinued the iPad 2, replacing it with the fourth-generation iPad as the cheaper option in the company's tablet line-up. Many consumers felt that the $399 asking price for a two-and-a-half year old, non-Retina tablet was ridiculous at the time of the iPad Air's announcement, but this update to the line-up should be more appeasing.

The fourth-gen iPad, now called the "iPad with Retina display", is a significant update to the iPad 2, as it features a Retina display, a faster Apple A6X SoC, better cameras, the Lightning connector, and a larger battery. It will be available for $399 as a Wi-Fi only 16 GB tablet, or $529 for the cellular model: the same price as the iPad mini with Retina display, and $100 less than the iPad Air.

Permalink to story.

Many consumers felt that the $399 asking price for a two-and-a-half year old, non-Retina tablet was ridiculous at the time of the iPad Air's announcement
Hmm yeah, but I wasn't too surprised given Apple's track record of ridiculous prices.

No one supports apple except with iphones. no one buys macs, ipods are basically dead, ipads are useless and only sold to old people, what else do they have?

just ignore it all....

I love it when people speak of EveryOne when they are actually speaking only for themselves. I don't like Apple products, I hate their cult-like fan base.

Though I admit it's not like some other user says.

No one supports apple except with iphones. no one buys macs, ipods are basically dead, ipads are useless and only sold to old people, what else do they have?

just ignore it all....
iPods still hold their reputation as really good music players and I know people that have them, although it's true most of us already have a phone that serves as a music player. Macs are still being sold, as they have always been. iPads are still selling, not useless, at all.

Great move to discontinue the iPad 2. It was really beginning to show its age. The iPad 4 is a great replacement.

It is ironic that Apple have just announced a 8Gb 5C when my daughter was moaning about lack of space on her 16Gb 5C she has only had for a couple months.

It is ironic that Apple have just announced a 8Gb 5C when my daughter was moaning about lack of space on her 16Gb 5C she has only had for a couple months.

This is exactly why Apple doesn't work with scientists or engineers to provide high end equipment. They don't listen to what the consumer needs, they just try to adjust prices and advertisements to sell more.

This is exactly why Apple doesn't work with scientists or engineers to provide high end equipment. They don't listen to what the consumer needs, they just try to adjust prices and advertisements to sell more.
Apple managed to shift millions of the Ipod Shuffle the most useless music player ever, it they put apple on it there are plenty of *****s to but it.

Apple managed to shift millions of the Ipod Shuffle the most useless music player ever, it they put apple on it there are plenty of *****s to but it.
I thought the poster had used a rude Anglo Saxon word but the word was idi0t$. Is that word politically incorrect?

Back